Help: Can't Decide - Tire Replacements

Bokenator

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat - Antimatter Blue. 2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited
Thanks for all the info... lots of options out there for sure.

So if Im understanding correctly... you have only done the lift so far, but not the tires? You had a local shop or your dealer install the Eibach kit? Total cost for that if you dont mind me asking?
That's right, only the level, no new shoes yet. I've got 22k on the OEM tires, hope to get to 25k. I live in Georgia, so it's not like I need to get them switched out quickly to beat the winter snows 😜

As far as cost, I paid $278 for the shocks directly from Eibach, with free shipping from joining there "Winners Circle". Got them installed by a local shop (not dealership) for $300, along with a $120 alignment. So $700 all in for a 2" difference in front height. 🤷‍♂️

Maybe the alignment is what is driving the better efficiency? I can't believe Ford would ship there trucks from the factor at a rake that didn't maximize efficiency. Also, I had the Eibach's set at 2" and got exactly 2" of lift. At that setting, there is still a tiny bit of rake (like 1/2"-3/4"). They can be set to a maximum of 2.5", which would make the rake basically nil.
Sponsored

OP
OP
luebri

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
i went with these last year have 15K Miles on them and ran them in new England winter last year with several trips up north snowboarding. Much better in snow then the factory and are also wearing much better. since putting them on i have been running a much higher PSI 42PSI cold because i had such on even ware on factory front tires, ( i drive a lot of back roads). slightly more noise but honestly truck is still so quiet.

Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus 275/60R20 115T All Terrain Tire

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C7WKVDH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

first time getting off amazon cant beat 1064 for for wheels mounted and balanced. shipped right to my local shop.
That is a nice looking tire at that price.

Did you notice any difference in efficiency vs the factory? and were your factories All season or all terrain?

... my label says 116T? (which is 2,756) Can anyone speak to how big or insignificant is reducing load index of tires is. 115T appears to be (2,679). Seems fairly insignificant?

RI fisherman

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lighting on order
I had the Hancock AT as stock tire. Honestly range difference is not noticable for me at 50/ 50 highway back road commute. For load rating just ask yourself how often should you maxing out pay load. 115 is rated at 2679 per wheel. x4=10716. Curb weight for a ER larriort is 6700 so do u regularly have 3k extra pounds? Just not realistic in my use case as I'm not hauling gravel with my truck lol. Toweing a boat and gear with 4 full sized guys still well under load limit for me.

OP
OP
luebri

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I had the Hancock AT as stock tire. Honestly range difference is not noticable for me at 50/ 50 highway back road commute. For load rating just ask yourself how often should you maxing out pay load. 115 is rated at 2679 per wheel. x4=10716. Curb weight for a ER larriort is 6700 so do u regularly have 3k extra pounds? Just not realistic in my use case as I'm not hauling gravel with my truck lol. Toweing a boat and gear with 4 full sized guys still well under load limit for me.
Thanks for the input... yea, I've maybe maxed payload for a total of 15 Miles so far with 30k miles on.

Has anyone considered the Hankook Dynapro AT2 Xtreme (RF12)? My dealer can get me into those for around $1000. They have one of the better rolling resistance, snow traction, and ice braking ratings on Consumer reports for an All terrain.

nodoubleg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘15 Jeep JKU, ‘89 E-250, ‘98 Dodge Ram 2500
After getting 4 serious punctures in less than 17k miles, I replaced the stock Grabber AT tires with the Toyo Open Country A/T III EV tires. I went with load range E, as I wanted a more durable tire. Adding another charge stop here and there is WAY better than finding a tire shop for an emergency repair.

Efficiency is less, and they are definitely louder. I don’t have an exact figure for the efficiency hit, but it’s more than the 5% quoted by Toyo.

Traction off the pavement is a lot better (I use the truck in various ways around the property). The 3-peak mountain snowflake rating will also be helpful in the Michigan winter. The truck looks a lot better, IMO.

overall, I’m happy with them, especially since they seem to be a lot more robust than the OE tires.

one thing I need to do is figure out the optimal tire pressure for them. Door sticker says 36psi, but even 38 seems a bit low? Need to do the old chalk test.

Sponsored

ddimit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla model S 2023 F150 Lightning Lairat
Occupation
Manager
That is a nice looking tire at that price.

Did you notice any difference in efficiency vs the factory? and were your factories All season or all terrain?

... my label says 116T? (which is 2,756) Can anyone speak to how big or insignificant is reducing load index of tires is. 115T appears to be (2,679). Seems fairly insignificant?
I would avoid the Pierellis. I have those on my Rivian. As they start to wear down, they become super noisy. Many Rivian owners remove them just for that reason. I'm going to let mine wear down to replacement depth and pick something else.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
After getting 4 serious punctures in less than 17k miles, I replaced the stock Grabber AT tires with the Toyo Open Country A/T III EV tires. I went with load range E, as I wanted a more durable tire. Adding another charge stop here and there is WAY better than finding a tire shop for an emergency repair.

Efficiency is less, and they are definitely louder. I don’t have an exact figure for the efficiency hit, but it’s more than the 5% quoted by Toyo.

Traction off the pavement is a lot better (I use the truck in various ways around the property). The 3-peak mountain snowflake rating will also be helpful in the Michigan winter. The truck looks a lot better, IMO.

overall, I’m happy with them, especially since they seem to be a lot more robust than the OE tires.

one thing I need to do is figure out the optimal tire pressure for them. Door sticker says 36psi, but even 38 seems a bit low? Need to do the old chalk test.
If you do, please report back. I've ordered a set but still waiting for 2 that are back-ordered. Less than 10% hit you think? I've been averaging 2.7mpk on my commute over the past 1200 miles. Will reset the trip once I get them on to start tracking the new mpk. Of course the trip screen is a little wonky with the way it rounds so I suppose I should start logging nightly charges and compute the average that way.

OP
OP
luebri

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks everyone for your input. I did end up going with the Hankook Dynapro AT2 Xtreme's. I have a 220 miles round trip to and from the airport this weekend, so I should get a range hit barometer off that trip. Road noise increase seems negligible in my brief drive with them so far.

With install, alignment and multipoint inspection it came to $1125 from my dealer Les Stumpf. ($100 rebate as well, which would bring it down to $1025)

Ford F-150 Lightning Help: Can't Decide - Tire Replacements Screenshot 2024-10-24 at 1.39.12 PM

Ford F-150 Lightning Help: Can't Decide - Tire Replacements IMG_4951

Ford F-150 Lightning Help: Can't Decide - Tire Replacements IMG_4952

Last edited:

Warp Asylum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2023 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Engineer

Load range E does need higher pressure to support the same weight. Rule of thumb is door sticker + 15psi. This calculator seems to agree with the hand calculation I did:
https://tiresize.com/pressure-calculator/

I also just got the Toyos, and I have them sitting at ~51psi cold. They do ride a little rougher and are a bit louder, but the efficiency hit has been minimal for me so far. On my 65 mile round trip commute, I end up with the same ending percentage as I usually did with the OE tires.

Do they really need ~50psi? I don't know, but 38psi is too low in my opinion, and I don't think I'd run them lower than ~45psi. That should make them ride a little softer at the possible expense of a bit of efficiency and tread life.

And I agree that they look GREAT on the truck.

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
Thanks everyone for your input. I did end up going with the Hankook Dynapro AT2 Xtreme's. I have a 220 miles round trip to and from the airport this weekend, so I should get a range hit barometer off that trip. Road noise increase seems negligible in my brief drive with them so far.

With install, alignment and multipoint inspection it came to $1125 from my dealer Les Stumpf. ($100 rebate as well, which would bring it down to $1025)

Screenshot 2024-10-24 at 1.39.12 PM.jpg

IMG_4951.jpg

IMG_4952.jpg
Do you know what the difference is between those and the stock Dynapro AT2?

Sponsored
OP
OP
luebri

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Do you know what the difference is between those and the stock Dynapro AT2?
Marketing speak... "The main difference lies in their intended use. The Dynapro AT2 is designed for versatile on-road and light off-road use, while the Dynapro AT2 Xtreme is built for more extreme off-road conditions, with a more aggressive tread pattern and enhanced durability."

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
Maybe "close enough" for practical purposes, especially if you're not maxing out the payload or towing capacity, but if it's enough to invalidate an insurance claim then that would be pretty significant.
Sponsored