• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How can I force an update?

jthiesse13

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
My 23’ Lariat ER has been stuck on downloading update 6.5 for two weeks now. I‘ve tried charging to 100% and follow all instructions but it just won’t update. Does anyone have any hints that might help? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Post your VIN on the PTS/FDRS VIN Check Thread and describe your problem. They may be able to tell you why it's not downloading.

If it's downloading but not installing it's likely your 12V battery charge level, not your HVB charge level.

WilliamRobert

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2021 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
happily retired!
I had this problem with my Mach-e, OTA stopped working at around 70% 12volt capacity, so I just kept a 12volt charger (15amps, less didn't work) until an OTA finally fixed the 12volt battery charging. You can check your 12volt charge capacity with your Ford account.

Ford F-150 Lightning How can I force an update? Screenshot_20240721_200044_Firefox

Last edited:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Log onto this site to view the LVB {12 volt} battery state of charge, then tap the lock or unlock command in ford pass, wait about 10 seconds, then refresh your account details and see the impact of waking up the truck.

https://www.ford.com/myaccount/account-dashboard

sdchris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Platinum
I had this problem with my Mach-e, OTA stopped working at around 70% 12volt capacity, so I just kept a 12volt charger (15amps, less didn't work) until an OTA finally fixed the 12volt battery charging. You can check your 12volt charge capacity with your Ford account.

Screenshot_20240721_200044_Firefox.jpg
Is the 12v charge level the tile in the middle that shows 87%?

Sponsored

WilliamRobert

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2021 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
happily retired!
Is the 12v charge level the tile in the middle that shows 87%?
Yes, my 12volt is at 87%, I just installed a dash camera and I have it in parking mode, so it's using 12volt battery to a set level. I'll probably turn parking mode off and only use it in parking lots.

OP
OP

jthiesse13

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Log onto this site to view the LVB {12 volt} battery state of charge, then tap the lock or unlock command in ford pass, wait about 10 seconds, then refresh your account details and see the impact of waking up the truck.

https://www.ford.com/myaccount/account-dashboard
Ford F-150 Lightning How can I force an update? 1721657412685-t1

since my battery SOC is actually 74%, I'm assuming the LVB is 39%? If that's true, why is my LVB charge so low?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
1721657412685-t1.png

since my battery SOC is actually 74%, I'm assuming the LVB is 39%? If that's true, why is my LVB charge so low?
Yes, the 39% value shown is for your 12v LVB, have you had the BMS update performed on your truck yet?

I'd suggest turning on your truck, parked, for an hour or more, put the blower fan on a higher manual setting, switch off the exterior lights and hopefully the 12v SOC will increase.

ciferguson37733

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Manager
1721657412685-t1.png

Yea - lots of learning around this topic to be had.

- Depends upon how you drive and charge the vehicle. Short drive, fast charge - no time to charge the LVB. Slow down the charging to allow the charging cycle to stay on longer

- Move the key fob away from the truck at night so they don’t talk

- I also unload FordPass from active apps.

Main thing - try to extend charging, minimize causes for discharging. Monitor your actions with the screens shown above to get a feel for how your LVB is affected.

When I bought the truck, had a friend ask to show him where the 12v battery is located - he had a Chevy Bolt. I told him I thought it odd that would be the first question he asks. His reply was along the lines of “you will find out why soon enough”

Sponsored

Tdub

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Post your VIN on the PTS/FDRS VIN Check Thread and describe your problem. They may be able to tell you why it's not downloading.

If it's downloading but not installing it's likely your 12V battery charge level, not your HVB charge level.
Once again, why isn’t there a gauge on the drivers console to indicate the charge/condition of the LVB?

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
Once again, why isn’t there a gauge on the drivers console to indicate the charge/condition of the LVB?
Ford is deathly afraid of giving us literally any technical info. Many (most?) of us don't even have charge% of the main battery on the console. I think they want us to go to the dealer for service every time we have any question.

sfringer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Ford is deathly afraid of giving us literally any technical info. Many (most?) of us don't even have charge% of the main battery on the console. I think they want us to go to the dealer for service every time we have any question.
Let's clarify a bit; many of us do not have the numerical representation of the SOC %, but we should all have the gauge view with 25% markers inside the ring to help estimate the SOC%. Sure, not as convenient as a numeric representation, but it's possible to know the SOC %.

OP
OP

jthiesse13

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Yes, the 39% value shown is for your 12v LVB, have you had the BMS update performed on your truck yet?

I'd suggest turning on your truck, parked, for an hour or more, put the blower fan on a higher manual setting, switch off the exterior lights and hopefully the 12v SOC will increase.
Ok, I have the truck turned on, AC blowing at max with lights off. I also just checked and it looks like I need the BMS replaced so I'll contact the dealer about that. I'll keep you posted to let you know if this works though, thanks. Do you know what percentage the 12 volt battery needs to be at in order for the update to work?
Sponsored