First Name
Wheelz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
IT
As we are all excitedly getting closer to taking delivery of our sweet new trucks!, the time has come to prepare for some “upgrades” I as an Arizona resident not only like the look but NEED tinted windows to survive the summers! One of my dirt priorities
Yeah 5% and definitely a problem at night at times especially in dark areas. Not so much on well lit roads. Depends the area you drive
I put 20% on all my truck windows. Looks pretty good to me.
Sponsored

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y Performance
I live in NY so anything beyond factory tint is illegal and will get you stopped. It is also tested every year at you annual inspection.
I thought the way around was that to say that it came like that from the factory.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I thought the way around was that to say that it came like that from the factory.
The law actually doesn't allow "from factory" to be ok. You need a minimum of 70 percent of light to pass through the window. There is also police discretion if they think it is too dark. Just not worth taking a chance.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Most states have special exemptions fir public safety vehicles.
One of the reasons for the tint laws in my state came about by request of Law Enforcement. They have to walk up on a car during a traffic stop. Limo tint completely hides any activity going on inside the vehicle. They will check tint level during a traffic stop and during annual inspections.

There's some type of an exception for trucks and SUVs for tint behind the B Pillars. We cannot have film of any type on windshields, which ignores advances in clear protective films.

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
70% windshield. 35% sides. 20% back. First car with a sunroof... Gotta figure out what to do for that part.

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I live in NY so anything beyond factory tint is illegal and will get you stopped. It is also tested every year at you annual inspection.
This^^

NYS is a PITA when it comes to tint. The State Patrol will take out a handy "tint meter" and issue tickets accordingly if tint is even the slightest bit darker than allowed.

T i h o r

First Name
Rohit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Self Employed
70% windshield. 35% sides. 20% back. First car with a sunroof... Gotta figure out what to do for that part.
This is pretty much my same plan, but slightly darker.

70% - windshield
20% - front
20% - rear (OEM tint)

OP
OP
AZT9

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Those that have done the windshield, I guess it goes without saying but at such a light tint, is it really that beneficial??

T i h o r

First Name
Rohit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Self Employed
Those that have done the windshield, I guess it goes without saying but at such a light tint, is it really that beneficial??
No experience with an F150, but the shop I go to did 90% to just cut the bright white from the windshield. I've seen 35% and I think it's too much. 50% or 70% makes more sense depending on how dark you want the overall car to be - which will obviously also depend on how dark your other windows are.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Windshield tint helps with heat rejection even if it's not that dark.

VA allows 70% windshield tint if you have an exemption from your optometrist. You can likely get an exemption if you've had some type of laser eye surgery as those can make your eyes more sensitive.

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/drivers/#medical/sunshading.asp

In college I had my front windows tinted to 12% and it really sucked at night, especially if you're delivering pizza. However, I was pretty cool until I got pulled over and failed safety inspection though!

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I'm in TX and have not found I needed to tint the glass roof of a Tesla. Some do, but Tesla's have cabin overheat protection that keep the car from ever getting hotter than 105 if you turn it on. I use that and have no problem with the car cooling down in a minute or two when I get in.

Also - the sunroof on our trucks have a solid electric cover you can close during the hot days will block all sunlight coming into the cabin.

WIth any good luck Ford will implement a cabin overheat protection of sorts along with dog mode soon.

Lightning_Bob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Reserved Lightning...
Getting pulled over is a downer....so is paying to have it removed and going to the police station to prove it... follow your state's tinting laws: https://windowtintlaws.us/

Arizona is 33%

Though on a plus side, a lot of times the tinting requirement is only for the front driver and passenger windows, with the rear passenger windows and back window can be much darker...just have to deal with mismatched tint when looking at it from the side profile....

Reactions: GDN

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Getting pulled over is a downer....so is paying to have it removed and going to the police station to prove it...
In Michigan, not only do you have to peel the tint off and take it to the police station to prove it, you can now get points on your driving record making your insurance go up.

Ask me how I know.

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
35% in front I believe and 5% in rear

Ford F-150 Lightning How dark is too dark for window tint? IMG_20190216_103811

Ford F-150 Lightning How dark is too dark for window tint? IMG_20210226_070408__01~2
Sponsored