• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How often do you actually use the 9.6 kw pro power on board?

Rthol21

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Director of Recruitment
I can't get the color I want and the 9.6 kw option :(

Just curious if many of you ended up using it. Initially I was hoping to use the 7.2 kw outlet to backup my house in a power loss event, but I am now getting powerwalls due to great incentives. Still, I was hoping to have this as a backup backup option if my powerwalls mess up or get depleted and my solar panels are completely covered by snow.

Other than that I am not sure if I would use it much, but having a 240v outlet on hand seems cool. Though I'd probably use it for bitcoin mining before I use it with any tools haha. I'm likely not going to tow and trailers or RVs too, though it does sound cool (if we get serious about camping we'll probably just start with a truck cap and mattress or something since it's just 2 of us)
Not a single time and I have had mine since 10/22. It was a nice selling point though lol.
Sponsored

Hammick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Our Lighting Lariat ER powers our house every single day that It's in town. Will save about $1,500 a year on our electric bills and makes me feel a little better about how quickly the value of my truck dropped. Initially just planned to use it for power outages but it power's the majority of our home so effortlessly we use it daily.

Hammick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
How big is your AC? I've got a 5 ton unit and put a soft start on it. I was very very close to getting the AC to start. If you've got anything less than a 5 ton - for less than $300 you can add a soft start to it and I would be you'd be able to run the AC.

With the rest of the house off I could also power the oven and clothes dryer one at a time. The only thing I'm missing is my AC. I would love it if I had two smaller units. I considered it when we remodeled, but it just didn't work out.
I can power our 5 ton Lennox Signature AC as it has a true variable inverter. I cannot power our 4 ton upstairs Lennox Unit that has a traditional compressor. I don't plan to put a soft start on the 4 ton because there is no way I could run them both at the same time.

Reactions: GDN

Howard_Scott_Warshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, rapid red
As others have stated, the 9+ kW option is only available through the HIS. the 7+ kW option is through the 30A 240V receptacle in the bed. I've used that a backup my house, backup moms house, and charge other EVs.

I use the outlets probably ever other time when driving. From charging a laptop, charging drone batteries, charging the batteries for my electric chainsaw or string trimmer, etc, I'm baffled why more manufactures aren't plastering the interior of their EVs with 120V receptacles.

The 30A generator receptacle is too inexpensive to NOT do it.

Sponsored

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
I've used it to power my fridge and chest freezer as well as a few other items during a half day scheduled power outage. I've also used it for outdoor work as it's a far more convenient outlet to run tools from than the house outlets.

Intended future uses: Powering the yet to be purchased RV. Running the sound system lights and bounce house for the neighborhood block parties.

The fact is that I don't use it that often, and nothing I use it for or intend to use it for wouldn't be able to be handled by a generator, but I would use a generator so rarely I'd never buy one. So it's nice to have it bundled into the truck.

Dr. Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro, 3 old Flathead Fords
Occupation
Engineer
I use mine almost every day. I am building a retirement cottage off-grid and the Lightning powers an air compressor, a welder, miter-saw, radial arm saw, and all of the small tools.
Next week I hope to connect a 3-phase milling machine via VFD (5hp)
Sponsored