• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Ford F-150 Lightning ICON KIT LEVEL / LOWER IDEAL SETUP IMG_5462

Ford F-150 Lightning ICON KIT LEVEL / LOWER IDEAL SETUP IMG_2377

Ford F-150 Lightning ICON KIT LEVEL / LOWER IDEAL SETUP IMG_2380

Ford F-150 Lightning ICON KIT LEVEL / LOWER IDEAL SETUP IMG_4222

Ford F-150 Lightning ICON KIT LEVEL / LOWER IDEAL SETUP IMG_5456

All right friends, those of you who know me know that I am a active contributor and fully support the electric vehicle lifestyle, it's just the best way forward. The Ford Lightning is an amazing, capable, badass truck but it does need some work from the factory to reach its potential.

I've done a lot of modifications with the Ford lightning.

I started with the Belltech shocks which artificially compressed the rear springs 1 inch which will level the truck somewhat, but the ride was actually pretty rough and I didn't like it. I also didn't have faith at the shock would last very long. Add that to the unacceptable negative camber, and they had to go.

I installed the ICON full kit with camber plates and initially lowered it all the way but the ride was FAR too rough. I lifted it some more, still not great. I also had concerns that the detached shock reservoir was under too much pressure when lowered all the way down and would eventually fail or leak prematurely. After multiple visits to the shop, I lifted the front 2 inches and the rear 1 inch and now I think it's just about perfect. It is a good mix of stock suspension comfort and fully lowered looks, so it is firm but comfortable on roads, maintains good grip, and now can plow through the turns as if it's on rails.

Very comfortable on interstate travel and looks so much better… It 100% should've looked like this from the factory. Definitely confidence inspiring.

Attached are pictures of my suspension settings. Feel free to count threads and install similarly.... and I hope you have the same same happy result that I do.

NOTE: when you install the camber plates, you have to torque them to *at least 80 foot pounds* which is the stock caster setting. Even this will eventually slip loose, so the last time I had an alignment done I had them torque it to 110+ and it hasn't budged since then. If you don't tighten the bolt completely, it will eventually slip and ride up all the way to 3° of negative camber and your truck will look awful.

Standby for questions, let my trial and error be your success :)

Updated with tire information:

MICH DEFENDER PLATINUM LT265/60R20 LRE BSW ALL SEASON TIRE

Cheers
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
From fully lowered with the kit. It is gone through multiple changes to get it perfect so right now the front hub is 21 inches from the arch and the rear hub is 22 inches from the arch. Since I have different tires, that would be a better way to judge. You can also go by the shock body threads on the suspension set up.

Last edited:
OP
OP

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MICH DEFENDER PLATINUM LT265/60R20 LRE BSW ALL SEASON TIRE

love them!!!

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
View attachment 87144 View attachment 87145 View attachment 87146 View attachment 87147 View attachment 87148 View attachment 87150

All right friends, those of you who know me know that I am a active contributor and fully support the electric vehicle lifestyle, it's just the best way forward. The Ford Lightning is an amazing, capable, badass truck but it does need some work from the factory to reach its potential.

I started with the Belltech shocks which artificially compressed the rear springs 1 inch which will level the truck somewhat, but the ride was actually pretty rough and I didn't like it. I also didn't have faith at the shock would last very long. Add that to the unacceptable negative camber, and they had to go.

I installed the ICON full kit with camber plates and initially lowered it all the way but the ride was FAR too rough. I lifted it some more, still not great. I also had concerns that the detached shock reservoir was under too much pressure when lowered all the way down and would eventually fail or leak prematurely. After multiple visits to the shop, I lifted the front 2 inches and the rear 1 inch and now I think it's just about perfect. It is a good mix of stock suspension comfort and fully lowered looks, so it is firm but comfortable on roads, maintains good grip, and now can plow through the turns as if it's on rails.

Very comfortable on interstate travel and looks so much better… It 100% should've looked like this from the factory. Definitely confidence inspiring.

Attached are pictures of my suspension settings. Feel free to count threads and install similarly.... and I hope you have the same same happy result that I do.

NOTE: when you install the camber plates, you have to torque them to *at least 80 foot pounds* which is the stock caster setting. Even this will eventually slip loose, so the last time I had an alignment done I had them torque it to 110+ and it hasn't budged since then. If you don't tighten the bolt completely, it will eventually slip and ride up all the way to 3° of negative camber and your truck will look awful.

Cheers
Looks great!
I wish they would’ve included an adjustable suspension!

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
View attachment 87144 View attachment 87145 View attachment 87146 View attachment 87147 View attachment 87148 View attachment 87150

Cheers
Sweet ride! 🙌

Sponsored
OP
OP

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sweet ride! 🙌
Thanks Ford! I hope you're taking notes! Lower the truck down, put the lightning badge on the side, make it a little more aerodynamic, but thank you for making such an amazing vehicle. It truly does everything while being an absolute blast to drive while saving the planet.

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
Looks awesome this is how I would like mine to sit, I just can not stand the thought of loosing any ride comfort.

Last edited:

MrKing7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered-24 Lightning Platinum
Love the stance! Has the IIC made much difference in ride quality among the different height variations you’ve tried?

OP
OP

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Love the stance! Has the IIC made much difference in ride quality among the different height variations you’ve tried?
Yeah I've done virtually every possible height combination and the way I have it set up now is the best. I made a post on what I think is the ideal combination of right quality and lower stance which is where the truck is now.

I wouldn't call the ride rough but it's more firm, going from a 1970s Cadillac to a Dodge charger.

I like the most is that it feels so much more planted in the corners. The Stocks suspension is so soft which is nice when you're going in a straight line but a 7000 pound truck going around a curve, to me, has unacceptable body lean.

I'm not trying to turn this into a BMW M3, but the combination of much much better looks and more secure footing in the corners and interstate on ramps to me makes it a winner.
Sponsored