Sponsored

Install 2nd battery?

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum
They allegedly arrested 3 people who are accused of stealing and burning his truck, though I did find it odd that nothing was mentioned about the trailer since it seems like that would make it a a juicier news item. Just mentions a stolen F-150
Perhaps the trailer wasn't connected at the time?
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Was anything different proven? I'm an "innocent until proven guilty" kinda guy".
I normally am, too.
But the circumstances were very suspicious. He taps into the HVB system, bypassing a bunch of safety features, and suddenly, his truck burns. Then he immediately gets obnoxiously super defensive on here (hence the ban hammer) when he was questioned. I didn’t follow the story after that - maybe he is innocent?

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
I normally am, too.
But the circumstances were very suspicious. He taps into the HVB system, bypassing a bunch of safety features, and suddenly, his truck burns. Then he immediately gets obnoxiously super defensive on here (hence the ban hammer) when he was questioned. I didn’t follow the story after that - maybe he is innocent?
Plus you for got the time he was trying to sell…..up to the day it burned…..and only his truck was stolen from his unlocked house….super sketch. 🤷‍♂️

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Plus you for got the time he was trying to sell…..up to the day it burned…..and only his truck was stolen from his unlocked house….super sketch. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, I forgot that he was trying to sell it.

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
Anyway, the answer to the actual question is no. Nobody here has the in-depth knowledge of the high voltage control hardware and software to change the battery configuration safely.

It's not a trivial thing to do. Look at the issues Tesla is having with their Cybertruck range extender. And they are the OEM.

The most feasible way to extend the range if you're crossing a charging desert is a gas generator and a couple of jerry cans. If you insist on going electric then your best bet would be to build your own battery pack with LiFePO4 cells and a big 240V inverter, then charge the truck from that using a regular EVSE. Of course with either of these you can't charge while driving, so it's not exactly what you're asking.

Sponsored

Effonefiddy Lightning

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning SR Antimatter Blue /2023 Model Y
Occupation
Retired
They allegedly arrested 3 people who are accused of stealing and burning his truck, though I did find it odd that nothing was mentioned about the trailer since it seems like that would make it a a juicier news item. Just mentions a stolen F-150
Why would they mention the trailer? It wasn't stolen with the truck.

Effonefiddy Lightning

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning SR Antimatter Blue /2023 Model Y
Occupation
Retired
Anyway, the answer to the actual question is no. Nobody here has the in-depth knowledge of the high voltage control hardware and software to change the battery configuration safely.

It's not a trivial thing to do. Look at the issues Tesla is having with their Cybertruck range extender. And they are the OEM.

The most feasible way to extend the range if you're crossing a charging desert is a gas generator and a couple of jerry cans. If you insist on going electric then your best bet would be to build your own battery pack with LiFePO4 cells and a big 240V inverter, then charge the truck from that using a regular EVSE. Of course with either of these you can't charge while driving, so it's not exactly what you're asking.
Tesla's issue with the range extender is just that the said 470 range is down to 445. The EV Silverado has a 205 kwh battery and gets a range of about 450. Adding the range extender to the cybertruck's bigger battery, (123 kwh), effectively makes it a 170 kwh battery with a range of 445. How is that an issue?
Sponsored