• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is $9,400 Sunrun Home Integration System worthless if you sell your truck? or can it be re-purposed?

Will you install the HIS?

• Total voters

Pjlightning

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
Is $9,400 Sunrun Home Integration System worthless if you sell your truck? or can it be re-purposed?

Not that I intend on getting rid of the truck, but as my electrician put it, if you spend the $ for HIS "you are marrying yourself to Ford if you do this".

But is any part of the system able to be repurposed for some other use, either for another brand of EV down the road, or for use with a generator, solar,etc ?

Might be a dumb question....but had to ask before pulling the $9,400 trigger with Sunrun, (or buying it from Sunrun and doing the install with a local electrician for maybe $6k?)
Sponsored

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd

Not that I intend on getting rid of the truck, but as my electrician put it, if you spend the $ for HIS "you are marrying yourself to Ford if you do this".

But is any part of the system able to be repurposed for some other use, either for another brand of EV down the road, or for use with a generator, solar,etc ?

Might be a dumb question....but had to ask before pulling the $9,400 trigger with Sunrun, (or buying it from Sunrun and doing the install with a local electrician for maybe $6k?)
It works great for Solar if you have it, so it does serve more than one purpose. I really hope that this quickly becomes a standard such that you can do this with different vehicles, but for now, it is only Ford doing it, and only for the Lightning.

The actual tech involved isn't unique to Sunrun - you can get it from many other places. But as it stands, only the Sunrun stuff is supported for now.

I expect we will see others come forward with other solutions (no idea when) and that this will eventually become a standard thing for EVs.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
It seems there may be some other systems coming from 3rd party vendors. This technology is so young I am very afraid that standards can change or be developed if not truly solidified. The $10K is more than I'm willing to consider at this point.

Last edited:

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Nerd
So itā€™s a string inverter?
I have no idea how it works, only that Sunrun (and other threads on this site) claim that it works with Solar.

The exact details on how it all works have yet to be released. But it sure sounds like an off the shelf item thats used in other similar applications - just has Sunrun plastered on the side.

We are sure to know more when someone gets the first one installed and posted here.

Sponsored

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
It works great for Solar if you have it, so it does serve more than one purpose. I really hope that this quickly becomes a standard such that you can do this with different vehicles, but for now, it is only Ford doing it, and only for the Lightning.

The actual tech involved isn't unique to Sunrun - you can get it from many other places. But as it stands, only the Sunrun stuff is supported for now.

I expect we will see others come forward with other solutions (no idea when) and that this will eventually become a standard thing for EVs.
How, if you donā€™t have battery?

You donā€™t know what you are talking about! Donā€™t give advice on things you have no idea at all!

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Nerd
WTF are you saying it does solar? String inverters are 1990, no one does them in modern times. Itā€™s either solar edge and optimizers or enphase.
Like I said, I have no idea how it works internally. Only that it works with the Lightning, and the claim is that it also works and integrates with the Solar that Sunrun provides. I don't think anyone knows more than that, if they do, they can speak up.

At the end of the day, it is a bit of electronics hardware - and there are lots of vendors who make that stuff. So we will see it copied.

Until then, we just have to believe that they are telling the truth about how this system works.

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Nerd

merek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER [6/20]

I think you have to assume it will not be transferrable. Ford had a video a while back about this, and they were kind of wishy washy about implementing the new ISO standard for it. They basically said "we'll think about it" and things like "we're focusing on getting our product delivered" -- not very reassuring.

I think the relevant standard is ISO 15118-20, but it was only published last month. I personally would not drop $10k until I knew the equipment was worth more than a paperweight when I trade in the vehicle in 5 years or whatever. It would be nice if Ford gave some clarity in this area -- ex. maybe they can update the firmware and support the standard proper.

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Nerd

Sponsored

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Nerd
$4000 for equipment, $5000 for installation. You donā€™t know so please listen.
$4000 for equipment, $5000 for installation. You donā€™t know so please listen.
I did not know, which is kind of why I asked the question.

I guess it depends on who you get to install it.

OP
OP

Pjlightning

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
I have no idea how it works, only that Sunrun (and other threads on this site) claim that it works with Solar.

The exact details on how it all works have yet to be released. But it sure sounds like an off the shelf item thats used in other similar applications - just has Sunrun plastered on the side.

We are sure to know more when someone gets the first one installed and posted here.
I wonderā€¦

Is there a poll yet of what % people on this site are spending the money to get the SunRun HIS ?

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen a poll result, and it certainly feels like very few are pulling the trigger on getting the full Monty SunRun HIS installation with their truck.

merek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER [6/20]
I wonderā€¦

Is there a poll yet of what % people on this site are spending the money to get the SunRun HIS ?

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen a poll result, and it certainly feels like very few are pulling the trigger on getting the full Monty SunRun HIS installation with their truck.
I am expecting it to be pretty low. It's almost the same price as I paid for my whole-house generator.

Neat idea, but I think they made some design compromises to allow for the V2G functionality, as opposed to just powering your home in a power outage.

It's a lot more complicated to install because of it, if it were only powering circuits during a power outage, you could just have a transfer switch panel, and not have to do any major electrical, like having service disconnects, etc. Out of the people who do use it, I think the V2G feature will only be used in a few markets, like California, that let you take advantage of varying peak power prices.

The reason I think they did this is because I think they just copied technology from solar companies, instead of designing something more purpose built.
Sponsored