• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is $9,400 Sunrun Home Integration System worthless if you sell your truck? or can it be re-purposed?

Will you install the HIS?

• Total voters

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
I got it off of the DocuSign contract that SunRun sent me tonight. Installation can get done On June 23rd if I sign it now. My truck is due to be delivered on June 13th-ish, so this would fit the timeline well, if I can justify the cost.
D0F04231-4A2D-4A1E-AC32-E57EBFCDB39D.jpeg
6AC2CD01-5451-4D44-96ED-AB0FE89F387C.jpeg
E1EFE8C2-D71F-4D07-8783-C5FFF2E329F6.jpeg
60CF36A1-6981-450D-A778-F642E14058F7.jpeg
If you have enough solar panels and your power delivery company only pay a few cents for electricity sending to grids and then charges 20c when you use it, then it might make sense to spend $9400. Otherwise, you are only using it as a super expensive generator which doesn’t require gas or propane.
Sponsored

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
If you have enough solar panels and your power delivery company only pay a few cents for electricity sending to grids and then charges 20c when you use it, then it might make sense to spend $9400. Otherwise, you are only using it as a super expensive generator which doesn’t require gas or propane.
The price is similar to a large home generator install. Although you would typically get more power from the generator, you also get the maintenance, and failure when your really need it, which is what attracted me to solar battery solutions 10 years ago.

I have been watching them fairly closely, and this Lightning solution looked like a deal when you consider the size of the battery. Of course that was before the Pro ER was fleet only, the Sunrun pricing was so high, and now the system itself was gutted. Sad!

YankeeCP

First Name
CP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat SR Lightning
Much like the $40k lightning was advertised and sounded awesome, the whole house generator sounded like an awesome feature of the truck. But after finding out about the HIS from sun run I will pass and In times of power outage just use the truck outlets to charge electronics, use fans and standard items.

OP
OP

Pjlightning

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
Much like the $40k lightning was advertised and sounded awesome, the whole house generator sounded like an awesome feature of the truck. But after finding out about the HIS from sun run I will pass and In times of power outage just use the truck outlets to charge electronics, use fans and standard items.
Poll created at top of thread.

Thanks!

So far, from the poll-it looks like Ford might as well scrap this HIS feature.

Barely anyone is even going to opt for it….maybe that’s why SunRun had to price it so high

Until volumes come, they can’t scale it.

maybe it’s just a nice marketing pitch, that the masses will never actually utilize in the real world?

OP
OP

Pjlightning

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
The price is similar to a large home generator install. Although you would typically get more power from the generator, you also get the maintenance, and failure when your really need it, which is what attracted me to solar battery solutions 10 years ago.

I have been watching them fairly closely, and this Lightning solution looked like a deal when you consider the size of the battery. Of course that was before the Pro ER was fleet only, the Sunrun pricing was so high, and now the system itself was gutted. Sad!
how was HIS “gutted” ?

is that the thing about the BDI being reduced from 10kW to 4kW ? Wonder Why did that happen?

Sponsored

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
how was HIS “gutted” ?

is that the thing about the BDI being reduced from 10kW to 4kW ? Wonder Why did that happen?
Correct. a 40% feature all of the sudden. The install labor is a profit center for already for Sunrun, so now they want more profit out of the hardware. Maybe due to lack of volume? They are huge and can scale, but seem to be slow rolling this. The slow roll, price and now feature reduction is likely driving the volume down.

If the HW was 10kw and $3k, and the install was $3k I would be all over it. As I said, if you need solar, this appears to be priced like any other inverter.

rtw819

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150L Lariat ER, '23 MME Sel AWD, '19 Niro EV
Taxman,
How are those polls started?

It would be great to see who is:

1. Going all in with SunRun installation of HIS

2. Buying HIS equipment from SunRun, but using their own electrician for install

3. Not buying HIS at all

Not sure if you as administrator runs polls, or how that works (and not to create work for you - you’ve done amazing work for everyone here already!!)
Poll Option 3.5: Would love to be able to take advantage of the capability but won't/can't use the HIS due to lack of compatibility with existing home solar installation

(or something similar)

Maybe it will work out someday, just not out of the gate with the Ford/Delta HIS hardware available now and with what we already have natively. It's hard to want to spend the extra $3895 on HIS hardware plus who knows ~$4-5k+ on installation of the HIS system that just won't play well with our existing setup.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Correct. a 40% feature all of the sudden.
I've got to try to believe that this is a mistake. Wasn't Lightning was advertised as having 9.6 kW Pro Power Backup?

I hope the early adopters on this forum will check part numbers and discover a (Delta) E10-BDI when it is installed. The E10-BDI is still showing as the BDI model on the second page of Revision 03 (11/2021) of the Ford/Delta/sunrun spec sheet, although the other E Series BDI s are also listed for no apparent reason on the other pages. It's ludicrous to think that you can get more power from the bed of the truck than PPB.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
If I recall, using the SunRun system will be 9.6 kW, but the Pro Power Onboard is 7.2 kW. Pretty evident since it is a Nema L14-30 plug in the back (30 A x 240 V = 7200 W).

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
If I recall, using the SunRun system will be 9.6 kW, but the Pro Power Onboard is 7.2 kW. Pretty evident since it is a Nema L14-30 plug in the back (30 A x 240 V = 7200 W).
Right.

On the Ford/sunrun AEE order page the bi-directional inverter part number has been deprecated from a 10kW BDI to a 4 kW BDI Delta part number. That would mean the 30 Amp L14-30 PPO would deliver more power than PP Backup.

Click the 'Features' tab:
https://www.aeeexpress.com/crs/stor...ap=false&categoryId=ford&productId=0000000664

Sponsored

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Right.

On the Ford/sunrun AEE order page the bi-directional inverter part number has been deprecated from a 10kW BDI to a 4 kW BDI Delta part number. That would mean the 30 Amp L14-30 PPO would deliver more power than PP Backup.

https://www.aeeexpress.com/crs/stor...ap=false&categoryId=ford&productId=0000000664
WOW! I'm glad I decided early on not to go with SunRun! How in the world could you justify $10k for 4 kW? That's really not much more Amps (16.66 A) that a 110 V outlet (15 A) can produce!

Last edited:

rtw819

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150L Lariat ER, '23 MME Sel AWD, '19 Niro EV
Right.

Yep, the newly updated HIS component E4_BDI lists a 4kW Max AC power while on Grid ... though while in battery backup (truck connected off-grid) mode would have the 9600W available. It is unclear why they would shift to the lesser on-grid inverter component. Check this thread and the conversation I started the other day when I noticed it for more references. Just seems odd to me.

Lightning_Bob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Reserved Lightning...
The whole home generator idea is still mostly viable without sunrun....the SR Pro with the Pro power package will be around 44K (37k-ish if you are getting it before the 7.5K fed ev tax credit starts the sundown)

Would only have a max output of 7.2kw instead of 10kw at 240v...getting a manual or automatic transfer switch and plugging it into the truck bed...may be able to get that other 2kw at 120v on another transfer switch for things like the fridge, lights, etc...

Assuming it can work like this, I find this "messy" setup more attractive, as it should allow the lightning to be charged by an EVSE connected to a true sinewave generator at the most efficient output (ie 5kw on a 10kw generator) during extended power outage (more than 48 hours) - so in essence a "poor man's" large inverter generator setup....with the 98kwh battery and inverter in the truck to handle intermittent power surge (AC compressor starting up, fridge compressor starting up, well pump, etc), but keeping the battery at a suitable level, by charging it at 5kw when needed...
Sponsored

Last edited: