• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is Anybody Happy With Their Lightning?

tdowens

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat edition
Having participated in several vehicle forums, there seems to be a bias towards posting negative comments. I love the lightning ('22 Lariat model that was a demo model that I bought last year) and find it smooth, fast and reliable as my daily driver (42 miles r/t to work). I leave my 2020 Tesla Model X mostly in the garage but I also have a Zero SR/S that is all-electric that I ride when rain is not in the forecast. I originally had deposits on cybertruck and chev EV truck but after test driving the lightning and then purchasing, I cancelled both deposit/orders and absolutely no regret. I wish that the pick-up driving public were more receptive to the EV lightning but just no robust receptivity for battery-powered pick-ups yet.
Sponsored

Ratherhavefun

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
CEO of Seemore and Dolittle
I have a Maverick on order, but started having reservations about the size and utilitarian interior a couple weeks ago, so I started looking at the Ford Lightnings. I read about the tech and features and was pretty excited. But there are so many negative reviews online. There's maybe 1 positive review for every 9 that say "I hated my Lightning and sold it and a huge loss" reviews. Even here it seems like the majority are unhappy with their purchase. Am I making a huge mistake even looking at the Lightning?
I originally bought a ‘22 SR Lariat, because then (December ‘22) the prices were high (sticker and ADM’s) and wanted to keep the sticker under $80K to take advantage of the $7.5K fed rebate. Unfortunately, the homework I did was not sufficient and the range on the SR was NOT as what I needed. Careless on my part… Long story short, I traded it in after one year, took a bath, but through Ford dropping the prices and way, way better deals and incentives, I got a ‘23 Lariat ER for the same as what I would have paid in the end, had I kept the SR… The ER is right for me and the best F-150 I have ever owned and I have owned a few. I love mine!!!

Electric Messiah

First Name
Davis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
What a ride, and the only real problems I've had with my Lariat ER have been self-inflicted (broken mirrors.) And yes, I think I'd be more comfortable with something not quite so huge.

But as so many others have noted, home charging is such a breeze, especially with solar panels further offsetting the cost, all of which helps to offset behemoth guilt.

As for performance, I have a bad habit of taking passengers new to EV's, to the base of a nearby long, steep hill, and if devoid of traffic (and hopefully speed traps!) I instruct my passengers to "please be sure your barf bags are in their full upright positions" and take off. Half way up just as I ease off the pedal, the trucks already up to 85 mph, the only sound the roar of the wind as I more or less coast the rest of the way to the top and resume my normally civilized driving ways. By contrast our ICE Subaru Cross-Trek would feel like it was laboring up that hill at 45-50 MPH.

In sum, driving an EV is like how people often describe NDE's- that they've experienced the freedom of having been liberated from their corporeal (ICE) bodies.

ZSLC

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lariat Extended
I tell everyone that asks this question that it has fantastic engineering and build quality with terrible support. I am over a year behind on software updates and Ford takes months to do things that should be basic (like shipping charger adapters). Ford points the finger at dealers and dealers point the finger back at Ford.

That said, almost two years in it's still super fun to drive, functional for everything I like to do (loading up with wood and supplies for projects, hauling bikes and kayaks, heading down dirt roads in the desert) while being a great daily driver.

Not for everyone, but I am well into the win column.

ekaddo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning,VolvoXC90T6, BMW1250RT
Occupation
Consultant
My daily commute is ~208 miles. Saved a ton of money since January '23 compared to feeding the twin turbo ecoboost, premium gas. Only maintenance has been tires at 40K miles and a master window switch. Out of the 7 F150s I've owned, this is the most reliable and the most fun to drive.
Ford F-150 Lightning Is Anybody Happy With Their Lightning? Mileage9182024

Sponsored
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Honda Passport
Occupation
Construction Executive
I have a Maverick on order, but started having reservations about the size and utilitarian interior a couple weeks ago, so I started looking at the Ford Lightnings. I read about the tech and features and was pretty excited. But there are so many negative reviews online. There's maybe 1 positive review for every 9 that say "I hated my Lightning and sold it and a huge loss" reviews. Even here it seems like the majority are unhappy with their purchase. Am I making a huge mistake even looking at the Lightning?
Love mine. Bought used (10k miles). Now have almost 40k. Love it. Other than minor annoyances, little things that wouldn't exist on a less modern vehicle, has been smooth sailing.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
Best vehicle I’ve ever owned. Yes, it’s had a few problems but I’ve never had a vehicle that was problem free, especially when it was one of the first 20,000 built.

B. Lane

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Retire
One year and three months, over 20,000 miles on my Lightning Lariat. Always a few negative things to say about every vehicle, but in general, I am very pleased with the performance of the truck and the ability to utilize it as a backup power source for my home.

Chillguy

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 LIGHTNING Platinum
Occupation
Allstate Agency owner
Hi,
I just bought brand new 2023 Lightning Platinum for 0% interest loan from Ford. I absolutely LOVE my truck... I've been driving EVs for the past 12 years and I've been waiting for a right moment to upgrade to a pickup truck so I did. I've had more than 20 new cars in my life between myself and my wife including Infiniti, Lincoln Navigator, Porsche Cayenne, Lexus, Mercedes S500, etc.... I've made Chevy Volt my daily driver 12 years ago, then 2nd generation and I followed up with 2 Chevy Bolts.. I love driving electric so I bought the Lightning and I couldn't be happier... It tows like a dream and Tesla opening up their Supercharger network to us is a true blessing.

Happy electric motoring everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
So far (since Jan 2, 2024) I love my 2023 Lightning Pro.

There have been a few minor issues, like getting some over the air updates that required the 12V battery to be at over 85% SOC - but posts here helped me resolve that issue.

I never completed the Ford Charge Station Pro software install, always stopped at a certain point when trying to add it to the Ford Pass app, but it charges the lightning just fine, so not a big deal.

So I think there are many like me who have minor complaints about the software, but mostly love their Lightnings.

I had almost 13 years experience with an EV before I bought the Lightning so I knew what to expect with range estimates charging etc. Unhappy newbies aren't prepared for some of the vagaries of range estimation - it takes some adjusting to.

It took some time for Ford to lower the price to what I considered a reasonable price for the truck, so I waited until Jan 2024 to buy even though I put a reservation in early on, like many others. It was worth the wait.

Jodokk

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Professor
I love this truck. That's not hyperbole. It's a magic fricken robot on wheels that smokes anything around it. It's beyond amazing.

Crullbri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Semi Retired, Part time Handyman
Best vehicle I ever owned. I was not looking to buy one of these and did not research it very well. Saw this one used on the lot with 900 miles. After driving it, I was amazed. Traded in my 07 chevy truck. Now 11k miles later, still no complaints. Do I wish i had extended range, yes, just for the trips to Phoenix, There has been some times pulling in garage and 1% battery left. Do I wish I had Blue Cruise, Yes, for those same trips. Happen only 1 time per month at the most. But great vehicle, no problems. Maybe the previous owner dealt with them. And I was always a GM guy. First Ford.

cobracosta

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 lighteninig
Occupation
Medical imaging
I would say as the others I absolutely love mine and have had it almost a year. I also had a 2004 f-150 which I equally loved. The lightning is way quicker and powerful. I have a SR but I dont really need the ER. If I were to do it again I would lean toward an ER tho. I wouldnt have a single complaint and I drive it everyday as a commuter and use it on my property. It does EVERYTHING I need it to.
Sponsored