• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is Anybody Happy With Their Lightning?

Upstate

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning XLT
I have a Maverick on order, but started having reservations about the size and utilitarian interior a couple weeks ago, so I started looking at the Ford Lightnings. I read about the tech and features and was pretty excited. But there are so many negative reviews online. There's maybe 1 positive review for every 9 that say "I hated my Lightning and sold it and a huge loss" reviews. Even here it seems like the majority are unhappy with their purchase. Am I making a huge mistake even looking at the Lightning?
I just completed two years of ownership and am closing in on 20,000 miles. Short answer: I love the F150 Lighting (XLT).

I too was on a list for a Maverick when Ford paused production of it. It would have been my first pick up truck and I really liked the high mpg of both the ICE and Hybrid versions. I was less pleased with the lack of an all wheel or 4wd option on the hybrid, but I was ready to suck it up. When Ford advised that it would be a minimum of six months to a year before they would return to the reservation list, and then my place in the queue would still be there, I started to consider options.

The F150 Lightning was the first place to look. I got my name on the reservation list and, September of 2022, a fantastic local dealership (Ruge's Ford in Rhinebeck, NY) called with the good news that my chance had come to purchase. I hoped for the less expensive Pro model, loved the features of the Lariat, but was fine with accepting the middle ground of XLT. Fate was on my side. It has been a blast to own this thing from day one. Plenty fast, way comfortable, as economical as an old Beetle (actually more so!), maintenance free, roomy as, well, an F150 club cab! and, all things considered, reasonably priced (it wasn't much different in final cost from the ICE version of the same truck). I love it.

I was/am still on the list for a Cybertruck. Tesla has kindly reached out a couple of times to give me the opportunity to purchase the $99,999 model, now several years after I plopped down a hundred bucks to get on the list (two or three years before I signed up for the F150 Lightning). They still haven't come through with the promised $39,000 version. I'm not holding my breath. Also, with all of the quality issues circulating out there, I consider myself lucky that the purchase never happened.

So potential Maverick owner, pull the trigger, go Lightning. By the way, my son in law has the new Maverick as his work truck. He also uses it for a two hour each way commute. He is quite pleased with it, especially that it makes the 175 mile round trip daily commute so economically. Once I saw the Maverick, it seemed less roomy and more car-like than I thought it would be. Either way, however, they are both fine options.
Sponsored

marac243

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning 2023
Best vehicle I have ever owned. I love the quickness, it just seems wrong that something this size can be so quick. Everything else I drive now seems so slow off the line. I get the lack of engine sound thing but I like my music so the quietness is nothing but plus's. Frunk gets used all the time. Hate having to gas up my wife's car.

Con's: Ford quality as I've been a Toyota/Honda guy my whole life. Luckily, my local dealer makes it easy to get things fixed.

Charging on the road is a nightmare. Just got my Tesla adaptor so my biggest complaint is now gone!

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR
I'd echo what others have said about it being the best vehicle they've ever owned, and I've owned some nice vehicles in the past 25 years. I've had a Lariat SR for about 22 months and have 56k miles on it. My family loves it as much as I do.

mgerm89

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I have a Maverick on order, but started having reservations about the size and utilitarian interior a couple weeks ago, so I started looking at the Ford Lightnings. I read about the tech and features and was pretty excited. But there are so many negative reviews online. There's maybe 1 positive review for every 9 that say "I hated my Lightning and sold it and a huge loss" reviews. Even here it seems like the majority are unhappy with their purchase. Am I making a huge mistake even looking at the Lightning?
I've only had my Lariat ER for about a month now, but I am absolutely loving it! I've had ICE F-150's, Mustangs, etc. and the Lightning tops them all (except my 04 Lightning that I miss dearly).

In regards to those selling it "at a huge loss," I would just recommend leasing one, then the value is moot. The only other consideration is charging. If you can't charge at home or work, it makes it much less convenient, and even a deal breaker for some.

Can't go wrong with Maverick or Lightning so long as they meet your needs and fit your lifestyle/situation, but are very different vehicles.

AlaskaFlash

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lightning Flash
Occupation
retired
I love my Lightining Flash. This is the first truck that I have owned. I charge it in my garage. It's a tight fit in my small garage, but with the 360 camera views, it's easy to park. It's larger than I expected, I orded it sight unseen because there is not a Ford dealer in Juneau, Alaska where I live. We bought it in Seattle and drove it up to Bellingham, WA and brought it up to Juneau on the ferry in Mid August. We got lots of complements on the truck from fellow travelers. I have had absolutely no problems with my new Lightning Flash. Take one out for a test drive to see if it's comfortable for you.

Sponsored

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning, 2022 Mustang Mach-E
I love our Lightning and likely won't ever have to replace it.
I'm only middle-aged, but could easily predict that this is the last truck I ever buy.

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
I love my Lightning. It is my primary work vehicle. Hauling, pulling, landscaping, camping with power, traveling and taking all my toys and furry pets to the mountains, lakes and shores for vacation. I won’t look for another truck anyways since you can use Tesla superchargers. You need to make a decision that you can live with. Many have reservations because they didn’t think thru this process. The truck cannot be everything to everyone. For me it was the best choice and I stand behind it. Do you math, do your planning and jump in with both feet.

Maximum Effort

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024Lightning Flash, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Self employed
Traded my 2022 Lariat ER with 30,000 miles for my 2024 Flash. I am a contractor and have always loved fast cars too. I have owned several mustang GTs, rangers, f150s, f250s, f350s (gas and diesels) and 3-Raptors over the last 35+ years. The Lightning is by far my favorite vehicle I have ever owned!! I can tow 10,000 pounds, I can go off roading, and can go 0-60 in 4 seconds. I will never own anything other than an EV ever again! Just my 2 cents. 🙂

SamStone

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT
Occupation
Fitness Expert
I love my lightning, I’ve had one for over a year. It is quiet, fast powerful, and roomy. I haven’t had a single problem with it. The only service required has been rotating the tires at about 5000 miles. They say it’s a good idea just due to the weight of the vehicle. I’ve done a little trailing with it. I’ve had motorcycles in the back. And motorcycles attached to a hitch. Motorcycle carrier. all worked great. That said I drive about a 20 mile circle per day and I’m home every day to charge it. I have not taken any road trips longer than about 150 miles each way and it’s been Colorado that has pretty good charging stations so I can’t speak to long trips or anything like that. I did look at the Maverick hybrid, which seems like it would be a good truck, but I have a large family that probably wouldn’t be too comfortable in it.

Madasahatter1138

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Transit
Occupation
Electronics Tech
18 months in, and I love this truck more than ever.
It's software is not perfect, but good enough. It has outperformed in all other aspects of being a truck, including towing (tows like a dream, in our use case). If has enabled my family to extend our camping seasons well into winter as it powers our trailer and campsite for days without worry.
It handles beautifully, we are always looking for reasons to go for long drives.
The frunk is incredible, a game changer I could not go without.
I would buy it again in a heartbeat! Especially this exact trim, 2023 XLT 312a.
I added beautiful Katzkins, and upgraded audio, and now it's a close to perfect as I need.

Sponsored

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I love my lightning, I’ve had one for over a year. It is quiet, fast powerful, and roomy. I haven’t had a single problem with it. The only service required has been rotating the tires at about 5000 miles. They say it’s a good idea just due to the weight of the vehicle. I’ve done a little trailing with it. I’ve had motorcycles in the back. And motorcycles attached to a hitch. Motorcycle carrier. all worked great. That said I drive about a 20 mile circle per day and I’m home every day to charge it. I have not taken any road trips longer than about 150 miles each way and it’s been Colorado that has pretty good charging stations so I can’t speak to long trips or anything like that. I did look at the Maverick hybrid, which seems like it would be a good truck, but I have a large family that probably wouldn’t be too comfortable in it.
Wow. First Stagger Lee and now Sam Stone. Gotta love these musical names.

Sam Stone came home
to his wife and family.

My mind is in a rut.

TGWeaver

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
Occupation
Self Employed
Sold our Model Y and bought our 23 XLT extended range and have had it since January- 15000 miles in, we couldn’t be happier with the decision!!

Wendy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Saab 96 (dead), Silverado (squished), F150 L
very happy here. My tesla is collecting dust if that tells you anything
@StevenC56 Had already agreed to buy a 2021 BMW 530e from my brother when I got my Lightning (Buzz Lightning that is), so now I have a BEV and a PIH. I drive the Lightning because it cost less than driving the BMW :) Love it.

Joe Dablock

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning, 2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Retired
What’s not to love! My Lightning will be a year old in November and it has 23k miles on it. It replaced my minivan and my full size truck. The only thing I miss is the 8 ft truck bed. And my Mach E is 26 months old and it has 53k miles on it.
But EVs are not for everyone, you don’t go on a 1,500 mile road trip without some planning. is also the potential for big savings on 1,500 mile road trips, when you can find hotels with free EV chargers. My goal for both cars is 100,000 miles, no expenses except one set of tires. So far both vehicles are on track! The jury is still out.

I enjoy giving EV deniers rides while towing cars cars/trucks. They are amazed!

My only worry is that any out of warranty major repair might brake the bank and the only place a major repair can be made is at a dealer. I am the person people come to when their ICE car Check engine light comes on. I haven’t yet acquired the knowledge regarding EVs, but keep peaking behind the “curtain” so to speak trying to gain EV knowledge!

So, if you are an optimist and an adventurer, buy a Lightning, if you easily get discouraged, and don’t like surprises, stay away!

thunderbayterry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Mazda MX-30 EV
Occupation
IT
I love love love my Lightning. Best truck I've ever owned. And I live in Canada in a place where it gets very VERY cold. :)
Sponsored