• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Is Anybody Happy With Their Lightning?

StevenC56

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Platinum
Occupation
Retired
I have a Maverick on order, but started having reservations about the size and utilitarian interior a couple weeks ago, so I started looking at the Ford Lightnings. I read about the tech and features and was pretty excited. But there are so many negative reviews online. There's maybe 1 positive review for every 9 that say "I hated my Lightning and sold it and a huge loss" reviews. Even here it seems like the majority are unhappy with their purchase. Am I making a huge mistake even looking at the Lightning?
Sponsored

husky10101

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 diesel & 2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired
No matter what vehicle when you go to the forum for that vehicle, most of the comments are negative or how to fix or resolve an issue. Don't hear how happy folks are very often. I use forums to help resolve an issue for every vehicle I have owned.

SteuLight

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT 312A
I absolutely love mine. I bought it because I needed a new tow vehicle (I have a 6500 lb, 30' travel trailer), but I didn't want to buy another gas guzzler. The lightning tows beautifully.

The thing is, it's such a great vehicle, that even if I didn't need a tow vehicle, I'd still want my lightning.

I think you see a lot of the complaints on this forum because those are the people who are seeking help (or wish to vent their frustrations). Those of us that love our lightnings are just out driving our trucks, rather than here posting on the forum. Having said that, there are some threads where you can see a lot of that positivity, like the 'What did you do to your lightning today' thread or the 'Pics of Lightning Trucks Doing Truck Things. Post Yours!' thread.

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Occupation
Retired Hvy Construction
The ICE F150 has always been good for universal purposes. Folks buy a Lightning expecting the same and some are disappointed, almost always because they didn't look exactly at how they were going to use it.
In my case I can charge at home most of the time, I can live with 85% of its rated range each day and still charge at home most of the time, and I think it is the greatest pickup I ever drove. I charge away from home perhaps once per month.
You need to test drive it to see if the size will be an issue. Try parking it a couple of times, ...

Sponsored

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
It's the internet and people love to complain.

If you get in your car and it does something weird, you complain about it.
If you get in your car and get from point A to B without any events you say nothing. So yeah, there'll always be more negative comments.

I've had mine for two years and overall I'm "happy", it's nice, super quiet, very comfy, I haven't had much issues except a wonky gps early on.

If anything I'd say it's a bit boring, but I'm a petrol head at heart and I really miss the sound. I don't miss the constant visits to the pump and the bills that came with it, but I do miss the sound.

LSP

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Audi e-Tron
I have a Maverick on order, but started having reservations about the size and utilitarian interior a couple weeks ago, so I started looking at the Ford Lightnings. I read about the tech and features and was pretty excited. But there are so many negative reviews online. There's maybe 1 positive review for every 9 that say "I hated my Lightning and sold it and a huge loss" reviews. Even here it seems like the majority are unhappy with their purchase. Am I making a huge mistake even looking at the Lightning?
I think that like with most reviews, there is a greater propensity for people that have had a negative experience or are dealing with a temporary problem to voice their concerns/opinions on the Forum. Another point would be that an early adopter needs a level of patience and expectations that I sense some of the folks on this Forum do not have.

I have had my 22 Lariat ER for over two years and absolutely love it and so does my wife. Our cousins in Minnesota have the 23 version of the same truck and love their's as well.

Hope this helps and happy shopping!

Sponsored

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
one year and 9000 miles later i couldn't be happier. it's been everything i expected and more. I should add that I've owned three Covettes (65,78,85) and not only will Sparky smoke all three it's actually more fun to drive and it tickles me to death when a stranger walks up to my open Frunk and says "what the $#$%, where is the moto?"!

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
I absolutely love mine. I bought it because I needed a new tow vehicle (I have a 6500 lb, 30' travel trailer), but I didn't want to buy another gas guzzler. The lightning tows beautifully.

The thing is, it's such a great vehicle, that even if I didn't need a tow vehicle, I'd still want my lightning.

I think you see a lot of the complaints on this forum because those are the people who are seeking help (or wish to vent their frustrations). Those of us that love our lightnings are just out driving our trucks, rather than here posting on the forum. Having said that, there are some threads where you can see a lot of that positivity, like the 'What did you do to your lightning today' thread or the 'Pics of Lightning Trucks Doing Truck Things. Post Yours!' thread.
exactly!

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
My first car was a truck (a 77 GMC I started driving in 97). I've driven a lot of pick-ups since then. My most recent truck before the lightning was an '06 F150 V8. In 2022 I got a MachE since I had no idea how long it would take my reservation to come up and my '06 was starting to need a lot of maintenance to keep going. I learned how to be an EV driver with the MME, when I finally got my truck I was so happy to be in an F150 again. It outdrives the MME (I didn't have the GTPE), and it does everything I need a truck to do. It helps that I have a 40amp charger at home, and that I live in a city. I've looked at what it would take to get to some parts of my state, and I know that EV is only really viable in major cities in this state. I would never recommend it to someone in far rural areas. Know the limitations, or await those NEVI chargers. AZ is about to get a hell of a lot better for EVs by the end of 2025.

As many others said, people go online to complain, or to brag. A truck doing what you expect it to do doesn't fit that mold.

TL;DR: This is the best truck I've ever owned and suits my situation really well, but I would hesitate if I didn't have adequate charging around me.