• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Jim Farley on Cybertruck: "I make trucks for real people who do real work, and that's a different kind of truck."

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
The article(interview) mostly tackles Ford's decision to adopt Tesla (NACS) charging and supercharger access. However, I also gain much respect for Farley here. He gets it. Tesla will always have their niche and their fanbase. Where Ford really is going to make the money is with Trucks, Vans, and SUVs. I would argue in these segments Kia/Hyundai (Ev9 SUV), Rivian, and the upcoming GM Products are more of competitor than Tesla. (Along with traditional EV entries such as BMW iX, Volvo EX90, etc) Love this guy...

Farley added he isn't worried that Musk's Cybertruck venture will take his customers away.
"The reality is, America loves an underdog ā€” and we are the market leader for EV trucks and vans, and we know those customers better than anyone," Farley said. '"And if he wants to design a Cybertruck for Silicon Valley people, fine."
"It's like a cool high-end product parked in front of a hotel," Farley continued. "But I don't make trucks like that. I make trucks for real people who do real work, and that's a different kind of truck."

Ford CEO didn't hesitate on the Tesla deal: 'It's good for customers' (cnbc.com)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Farley added he isn't worried that Musk's Cybertruck venture will take his customers away.
"The reality is, America loves an underdog ā€” and we are the market leader for EV trucks and vans, and we know those customers better than anyone," Farley said. '"And if he wants to design a Cybertruck for Silicon Valley people, fine."
"It's like a cool high-end product parked in front of a hotel," Farley continued. "But I don't make trucks like that. I make trucks for real people who do real work, and that's a different kind of truck."
Ford F-150 Lightning Jim Farley on Cybertruck: "I make trucks for real people who do real work, and that's a different kind of truck." ohhhh-squad

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
would be great if our "work" trucks could tow more than 100 miles... :rolleyes:
Mine towed over 100 miles just fine. Didnā€™t run out of charge until 110 milesā€¦

Just a joke. Got more than 150 miles towing my camper

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning ER, 2014 Honda Pilot
Why buy pliers to loosen a bolt when an end wrench is the right tool for the job? Pliers will work, but not as well as the wrench.

This truck is not the right truck for towing long distance. Buy the right truck for your use case.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Why buy pliers to loosen a bolt when an end wrench is the right tool for the job? Pliers will work, but not as well as the wrench.

This truck is not the right truck for towing long distance. Buy the right truck for your use case.
Yepā€¦round trip to my farm is 63 miles. The last time I did it towing my utility trailer (empty one way, about 2 tons of rock and dirt back) I consumed about 40% of the pack. The Lightning is perfect for 99% of my truck use.

Revenge

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR, 2011 Flex

This is exactly what I have to keep telling all the people who continuously have something negative to say about the Lightning. If there was 1 perfect vehicle out there that met everyone's needs we would all be buying that. As everyone's needs are different then it is up to each of us to buy the vehicle that make the most sense for our personal situation. For me personally my Lariat SR that will be delivered in the next couple of weeks will cover any tip/use that I have done in the past decade and since I can charge if for 1/10th of the price per mile as I do for my gas vehicle now it is a no brainer for me.

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I think a lot of people are still going to buy the 500 mile Cybertruck/Ram REV because they want the towing range. If either one can get that version under the 80k MSRP cap they are gonna to sell like hotcakes. Even if shorter range trucks are fine for 90%+ of truck buyers, people will still get longer ranges ā€œjust in case I need itā€. Iā€™m convinced this phenomenon is responsible for heavy duty trucks becoming lifestyle vehicles where most owners never tow or haul anything close to the truckā€™s capacity.

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
I think a lot of people are still going to buy the 500 mile Cybertruck/Ram REV because they want the towing range. If either one can get that version under the 80k MSRP cap they are gonna to sell like hotcakes. Even if shorter range trucks are fine for 90%+ of truck buyers, people will still get longer ranges ā€œjust in case I need itā€. Iā€™m convinced this phenomenon is responsible for heavy duty trucks becoming lifestyle vehicles where most owners never tow or haul anything close to the truckā€™s capacity.
There is no such thing as a 500 mile range Cybertruck and Tesla consistently underperforms against their EPA range. When Tesla unveils actual specifications for the Cybertruck and a significantly higher pricepoint, those $100 reservations wonā€™t mean very much.

The Cybertruck is a ā€œlook at meā€ design that will lose its appeal when you see them all over the place.

I love the F150 Lightning because it blends right in. Itā€™s not flashy. F150s have long been a stealth wealth choice. There is much to be said for low key.

Ford F-150 Lightning Jim Farley on Cybertruck: "I make trucks for real people who do real work, and that's a different kind of truck." IMG_1605

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
He may not be wrong, but he may not be right for long either.

Truly I don' think Tesla will rule the truck world, but they do some things very right. The first iteration of the truck may not fit the work truck description, but it isn't to say in 3 years they start round two and might come at him head on.
Sponsored