• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Jim Farley on Cybertruck: "I make trucks for real people who do real work, and that's a different kind of truck."

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
I think Farley’s comments were a bit off target and disingenuous. I put myself it the “real work” group and my Lightning gets put to the task supporting that work. But there are plenty of full size truck owners that don’t use the capability if their truck. The CyberTruck may fit their lifestyle just fine.
The disingenuous part of Farley’s comments come from Ford’s initial target owner for Lightings. Ford was and is looking to attract buyers who have never owned a truck. Many of those folks may have bought a CyberTruck instead if it had been available.
If the CyberTruck has real utility then it may provide real competition to the big 3 US truck makers.
Sponsored

Reactions: GDN

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I think Farley’s comments were a bit off target and disingenuous. I put myself it the “real work” group and my Lightning gets put to the task supporting that work. But there are plenty of full size truck owners that don’t use the capability if their truck. The CyberTruck may fit their lifestyle just fine.
The disingenuous part of Farley’s comments come from Ford’s initial target owner for Lightings. Ford was and is looking to attract buyers who have never owned a truck. Many of those folks may have bought a CyberTruck instead if it had been available.
If the CyberTruck has real utility then it may provide real competition to the big 3 US truck makers.
This is true.

My first EV was a Tesla Model 3, about 3 months after buying it the whole CT pulling the F-150 happened, then Musk announced the CT.

Soon after Ford announced the Lightning. I traded my Model 3 for an ICE XLT EB knowing it would keep its value. I basically wanted to see if a Full Size Truck with an EV power train would work for us. The ICE sold me on the F-150. Point is if the CT would have come out prior to the Lightning , I’d probably be rolling in that new era Aztek.

I still have my reservation, but if I pick it up, it’s going to be resold to the first baller throwing $20k at me above MSRP lol

Last edited:

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
I love the F150 Lightning because it blends right in. It’s not flashy. F150s have long been a stealth wealth choice. There is much to be said for low key.
This all day. I take my truck to work everyday. When I'm picking up at vendors or on the job site, I don't want or need to be the "look at me" guy. I'm doing a job and my truck is a tool for that. Enthusiast guys will pick up on the fact that it's an EV and everyone else will just see another truck doing truck things. I was at a plant wholesaler today and a guy showed up in a Rivian ( Rivians and Lightnings are a dime a dozen here in NY). A machine operator at the site started loudly proclaiming to everyone in ear shot that "look it's another one of those ugly toy trucks with the fisher price headlights". I can't imagine the comments that people like him will make when a Cybertruck shows up.

On the other side of things, I live in a high end area and I don't need my customers questioning if I'm charging them to much if I arrived in Cybertruck even though the MSRP will be similar to my lightning.

Weekend warriors and people looking to be seen will be the first ones in line to purchase the cybertruck but once Tesla is able to ramp production they'll be a dime a dozen which will negate the unique and polarizing style of the truck.. Then the cyber truck becomes the Pontiac Aztec or Chevy Avalanche or Chevy SSR of 2024.

Edit: I saw @F150ROD 's Aztek comment after I posted this. Great minds.

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
The first iteration of the truck may not fit the work truck description, but it isn't to say in 3 years they start round two and might come at him head on.
More like 10 years since Tesla doesn't even change styling for decades on vehicles that aren't made out of a highly specific stainless steel stamping process.

OP
OP
greenne

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
At the same time... Ford f150 has a huge loyal following. People who end up buying f150s over and over. Ford knows trucks and knows truck people. Truck people.. whether they actually "work" or not... will be adverse to what Tesla is selling design wise. Farley knows what he needs to please his target audience, and convert the masses to an EV truck. (A new radical design wouldn't do it).

Also..Ford is trying to get a huge jump in fleet sales. That is huge customer base for Ford...

We'll see how Silverado EV does when it finally gets to market-- how many are new customers and how many a converted gas pickup customers.

TBH I just don't see many people cross shopping a Lightning and Cybertruck (except perhaps a few EV enthusiasts). What is more likely to happen is Cybertruck buyers are likely looking for the latest and greatest "tesla" and will step up from a Model Y or Model X.

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
More like 10 years since Tesla doesn't even change styling for decades on vehicles that aren't made out of a highly specific stainless steel stamping process.
But it's going to be a unibody vehicle with stainless body panels. Not the exoskeleton they originally showed. Much easier to build and modify.

But I agree that they'll never make a major change to the design without being a whole new vehicle. The S is still basically the same design with small design changes here and there over the years. However they have majorly upgraded the powertrain and other technology features to get people to buy new ones.

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
The Cybertruck may be more than most consider. I would get it for “real work” if it can do what is claimed and if it has onboard power similar to the Lightning. Imagine a truck that never rusts, is very difficult to dent or scratch, continually updates itself to the latest software, has credible towing and hauling capabilities, and is built by the hands down most American car maker in the world; yeah that is a working man’s dream. The last truck I would ever need to buy. As a guy who is brand agnostic and considers vehicles as tools, this sounds great to me. I don’t even care that it looks weird—function above form for me. Ford better pay attention, underestimating the Cybertruck would be an arrogant mistake in my opinion.

Lavaorange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Miata, Lightning Lariat
The Cybertruck may be more than most consider. I would get it for “real work” if it can do what is claimed and if it has onboard power similar to the Lightning. Imagine a truck that never rusts, is very difficult to dent or scratch, continually updates itself to the latest software, has credible towing and hauling capabilities, and is built by the hands down most American car maker in the world; yeah that is a working man’s dream. The last truck I would ever need to buy. As a guy who is brand agnostic and considers vehicles as tools, this sounds great to me. I don’t even care that it looks weird—function above form for me. Ford better pay attention, underestimating the Cybertruck would be an arrogant mistake in my opinion.
Regarding the CT, the word that sticks out the most in your post is imagine. And you forgot to add unbreakable glass. ;)

There's definitely wisdom in your statement and Ford should always be looking over their shoulder when it comes to the F-150 but I suspect that's exactly why it's always been #1 in both Canada the US.

I personally can't wait to see one but am not really a fan.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
The frame of the truck isn't going to be stainless, and probably isn't going to be 100% aluminum, it "won't rust" just the same as the lightning won't.
Sure you're not going to get rust on the fenders or doors, but that still leaves all the frame and suspension components.

Tesla has yet to publish any final specifications so "if it can do what it claims" is yet to be seen. Tesla has a history of over promising and under delivering so I'm not holding my breath on anything with this vehicle.
That being said. I honestly hope that Tesla makes a highly competitive vehicle that pushes Ford and others to improve their products.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
An essentially worthless stat.

Tesla sales in China are huge.
Tesla is shipping cars from China to North America to sell. They are about as American as Hawaiian pizza.
Any Tesla sold in the United States by Tesla was built in the United States. Many of the components were also built in the United States. What other car company can make that claim? Maybe Rivian? I’m not sure of their supply system. As Tesla is a multinational company it is no surprise that they have factories in other countries and ship vehicles from those factories to countries lacking inventory. They have committed to making US vehicles in the US with many US made parts and US workers—that is a plus for many working folks who buy trucks.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
An essentially worthless stat.

Tesla sales in China are huge.
Tesla is shipping cars from China to North America to sell. They are about as American as Hawaiian pizza.
I love watching delusional fanboys crap all over the place. The Tesla's here come from here (some in Canada reported coming from China). You can like Ford or GM or VW or whoever, but you must always keep an eye open and look over your shoulder.

They are building in the location where the cars are sold for the most part. It makes NO sense for anyone to ship a completed auto around the world.

Zap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge
Any Tesla sold in the United States by Tesla was built in the United States. ....They have committed to making US vehicles in the US with many US made parts and US workers—that is a plus for many working folks who buy trucks.
And they (as do all EVs) use American fuel. That's a huge deal considering how much of $ spent on each tank of gas goes straight to the Middle East.
Sponsored