• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Moving, and taking FCSP with me

marlin1060

First Name
Mearl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER
Right now I have my FCSP installed in my garage, the wire runs through the ceiling, along the wall and into the charger. When I move I'm taking the FCSP with me, and want to know what would be the correct way to leave the end of the electrical wire?
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I would install a breaker lock in the panel (should only be a few dollars) and tape up the loose wires.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
When I move, I'm removing the circuit completely.

You could install a lockable disconnect in place of the FCSP. That would make everything safe and code compliant.

OP
OP

marlin1060

First Name
Mearl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER
I'll have to see if google can help me out with what you're talking about.
Thanks for the response.

Sponsored

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Consult an electrician who will properly terminate the wire by placing them inside a standard junction box and capping the ends with wire nuts and tape.

The wires could be relocated up into the ceiling and the junction box put there.

This often requires a permit and inspection to ensure it has been done correctly.

If you had a long run of #3awg copper wires and #6awg for the ground wire (for the max 80A current the FCSP can handle) then you may want to have the wire removed and reclaimed - the electrician might do that in exchange for keeping the wire. The wire is pretty expensive.

In that case, the electrician can remove the breaker and reclaim it as well, being sure to close up the space where the breaker was located using approved closures.

I am not a licensed electrician but I have read up on this situation before in the NEC.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Great advice.

Another option, turn off breaker. Tape note over it. Cap each wire, then tape them together into a bundle, so it is just a big tape clump at the end. Label it.

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
I suggest you bring what is left up to local code.
If you sell the property, the buyer may have it inspected. Before close they will want it fixed, on your dime.

Sponsored

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-450 & F-250 Lightning & Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
A sub panel, a 50 amp outlet etc will not work if the original FCSP was wired without a neutral. I would just have an electrician properly disable the circuit.

My cabin must have had a hot tub installed on the patio at one time. You can see the outline on the cement deck where it was installed. There’s a 50 AMP GFCI in the breaker panel and the wires are capped in a junction box on the patio wall. It’s nice that they left it all there so in the future I could repurpose it if I had a need.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning, 2022 Mustang Mach-E
In our area, new builds are required to include a >= 50A EVSE service connection (not the EVSE, just the circuit).

Assuming you're selling the place:
I would consider terminating the wires in a junction box at the former location of the FCSP, labeling it as "EV Charger" and swapping the 100A breaker for a 60A breaker in the panel. Then you can advertise the place as "EV Ready." Heck, for just a few hundred dollars more, I'd even consider having a L2 EVSE installed so it's fully ready for the new owners. Since the main cost of labor to install the circuit is already paid, it's a relatively cheap upgrade that could potentially open up your buyer market a bit more.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Or a 100A subpanel for about 1/4 the price of that switch.
The lack of a neutral wire is what made me think the disconnect would be a better option.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
In our area, new builds are required to include a >= 50A EVSE service connection (not the EVSE, just the circuit).

Assuming you're selling the place:
I would consider terminating the wires in a junction box at the former location of the FCSP, labeling it as "EV Charger" and swapping the 100A breaker for a 60A breaker in the panel. Then you can advertise the place as "EV Ready." Heck, for just a few hundred dollars more, I'd even consider having a L2 EVSE installed so it's fully ready for the new owners. Since the main cost of labor to install the circuit is already paid, it's a relatively cheap upgrade that could potentially open up your buyer market a bit more.
The fusable disconnect would work in this situation. You leave the 100 amp branch circuit alone, snd fuse the disconnect at the appropriate size for the new load.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
The lack of a neutral wire is what made me think the disconnect would be a better option.
Good point.

I used a subpanel ($28 without the breaker) for my local disconnect and labeled it accordingly. If I ever move and take the FCSP with me, I’ll leave this panel.

Ford F-150 Lightning Moving, and taking FCSP with me IMG_3418
Sponsored