• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

New Ford Lightning Owner Stranded Without Ford Home Charging Station

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Ford's next generation lightning will have an improved battery:

"... The F-150 Lightning II is scheduled to start production in 2025 at Ford’s BlueOval City in Tennessee, offering better performance thanks to new battery tech developed by SK On. The new cells, named NMC9+, will use an improved chemistry with a high-cobalt formula containing more than 90% cobalt alongside nickel and manganese. ..there are few details about the new battery cells, but SK On will showcase them in Las Vegas during CES 2023. According to preliminary information, the new cells are set to offer an even higher energy density compared to the NMC9 cells. They are also set to replace the current NMC9 cells inside the current-generation Ford F-150 Lightning, offering more range and allowing more power. The new cells will also come with a new battery separator (LiBS) and SK On’s exclusive cell-to-pack technology, S-Pack..."

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...e-nmc9-cells-to-debut-at-ces-2023-207243.html
Sponsored

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
This is totally a typical SNAFU and not really a big deal. The problem is that if you can find someone at Ford to understand what you are talking about they don't have the power to fix it. This is easy and should have taken one phone call to fix. Sunrun doesn't have the information they need to send the charger. All Ford has to do is a) send Sunrun the information or b) set up a conference call with my dealer and Sunrun so that the requisite information is passed along.

It isn't my job as a consumer to figure out and fix glitches in Ford's supply chain and information transmission process. There will be glitches, I get that. If Ford could say, "you will get the charger on X day" at least I could make a plan on how to charge my truck. As it stands now I don't know if I'll get the charger next week, next month, or next quarter.

The FCSP seems to be a really nice charger. I'm glad it was included in the sale. I have a friend with a Kia EV6 who didn't even get a charger. But he was able to charge his car within a few days after he bought it because he bought a charger from a third party. That sort of makes sense to me right now.
Yes indeed.
My Nissan dealer told me about 4 months in advance that my 2012 Leaf was on the way, so I should start getting the charging system in place. The Leaf didn't come with a L2 charger, just a L1 to carry in the trunk and plug in to any household voltage outlet (nominal 120vac). But there wasa company that would convert that charger to also take 240vac, so I did that for maybe $120, giving me an equivalent to the Ford mobile charger in essence.

The EVSE was not included in the sales price of the Leaf, but then, I didn't pay upwards of $4k for an 80amp charger (estimate if you include the installation).

At the time the Leaf was not Vehicle-to-Grid/Home capable, which I think is a nice feature of the Ford Pro Charger which I envy. Every time I lose power here it is crank up the gasoline generator and listen to the deafening sound outside my house.

I think that is a great option from Ford, but I don't like the price for the extended battery/Pro charger bundle.

The Charge Station Pro is basically two 40amp L2 EVSE's operating together and two on-baord inverter charging circuits (changing AC to DC) in the Lightning, twin inverters pumping DC into the battery reducing the charging time almost in half.

"... to charge the truck’s pack from 15 charge to 100 percent in eight hours. Using the 48-amp Ford Connected Charge Station would take 13 hours, and using the 32-amp Ford Mobile Charger that comes with each Lightning, plugged into a dryer outlet or the equivalent, would take 19 hours. .."

https://www.designnews.com/automoti...n-pro-cuts-lightning-recharge-time-40-percent

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
The funny thing is i will probably never fully utilize the FCSP. The previous owner of my house had a 40 amp branch circuit powered by a second meter which allows for an EV only electricity rate through our energy company. Since the circuit isn't connected to the main panel of the house it isn't possible to power the house. I could run wire for a 100 amp circuit to get the most charging power from the FCSP but it's probably not worth the hassle or expense since I can easily plug in when I'm home and 32 amps will keep me fully charged pretty much all the time given how I use my truck. If Ford never told me the FCSP existed I'd have bought a well reviewed charger from Amazon and probably been happy as a clam.🤣

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
We are in the same situation. Bought a mannequin on the 17th. Dealer is saying information was sent to Ford. Sun Run is not seeing the vehicle as sold. The holidays are probably not helping the situation but it seems they should be able to move a bit faster.
The first mannequins were only sold recently. It sounds like Ford's process didn't adequately account for them...or something, I don't know. What I do know is no one is doing anything about it.

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
I certainly hope so. It really sucks to have a new truck and not be able to drive it but one day out of the week. I only get 235 miles of range on an extended-range truck and the Dealership/Ford/Sunrun can't figure out how to get me a Home Charging Station. So yes, I am stranded at home for days.
Are there no DC fast chargers near you ? It took me a month to receive my charge station pro back in June so I just fast charged until then at public chargers . Also the dealer is supposed to deliver the vehicle with a full charge.

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
The funny thing is i will probably never fully utilize the FCSP. The previous owner of my house had a 40 amp branch circuit powered by a second meter which allows for an EV only electricity rate through our energy company. Since the circuit isn't connected to the main panel of the house it isn't possible to power the house. I could run wire for a 100 amp circuit to get the most charging power from the FCSP but it's probably not worth the hassle or expense since I can easily plug in when I'm home and 32 amps will keep me fully charged pretty much all the time given how I use my truck. If Ford never told me the FCSP existed I'd have bought a well reviewed charger from Amazon and probably been happy as a clam.🤣
The 80A FCSP is overkill for a lot of people unless you utilize the backup power and/or you have a long commute as in 200mi each day.

There are several good quality 48A EVSEs on the market you could hardwire for much cheaper than the FCSP. With 48A you can still charge to 100% overnight in most cases.

You could always try to sell the FCSP.

OP
OP

geographer

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Geographer
Are there no DC fast chargers near you ? It took me a month to receive my charge station pro back in June so I just fast charged until then at public chargers . Also the dealer is supposed to deliver the vehicle with a full charge.
There are a few DC fast chargers near (20 miles away). Thanks for your reply and for sharing the timeline for getting your charger.

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
I would sa
There are a few DC fast chargers near (20 miles away). Thanks for your reply and for sharing the timeline for getting your charger.
Sunrun is the absolute worst. Ford made a huge mistake using them as the vendor of this product as a way to upsell their solar. If you look back at my posts from June , you will see that I went through your exact pain .
Ford uses a system called smart Vincent and if it doesn’t report correctly to Sunrun , nothing gets done. I just called the marketing department (no idea why the marketing department handles this ) every single day until a FCSP was sent out .

I would personally get used to DC chargers in your area now while you wait . I found it great having familiarity before road trips and it was also fun to get out and drive the truck . Good luck ! Call.every.day and dealers can’t help you .

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
I certainly hope so. It really sucks to have a new truck and not be able to drive it but one day out of the week. I only get 235 miles of range on an extended-range truck and the Dealership/Ford/Sunrun can't figure out how to get me a Home Charging Station. So yes, I am stranded at home for days.
I'm confused on how your stranded.... You bought an electric truck without a way to charge it (other than a 120 outlet) how is this Fords or Sunrun's fault? This sounds like another Hoovie video "I'm STRANDED because I bought an F150 Lightning"

Ford F-150 Lightning New Ford Lightning Owner Stranded Without Ford Home Charging Station 20221228_104220

OP
OP

geographer

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Geographer
I'm confused on how your stranded.... You bought an electric truck without a way to charge it (other than a 120 outlet) how is this Fords or Sunrun's fault? This sounds like another Hoovie video "I'm STRANDED because I bought an F150 Lightning"

20221228_104220.gif
If you are confused, just read the entire thread. i knew someone would make the innocent buyer the victim. have a great day.

Sponsored

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
If you are confused, just read the entire thread. i knew someone would make the innocent buyer the victim. have a great day.
I read the thread you bought a vehicle that the original buyer backed out on and now you can't get your Ford Charge Station because of red tape. Your not stranded.....

Nick503955

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat, 2021 Tesla Model Y
I read the thread you bought a vehicle that the original buyer backed out on and now you can't get your Ford Charge Station because of red tape. Your not stranded.....
Success on the internet 101: how to create attention with clickbait titles and controversy.

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
You can't rely on Ford or Sunrun for your charging needs. This is from a fellow forum members just a heads up.

Ford F-150 Lightning New Ford Lightning Owner Stranded Without Ford Home Charging Station Screenshot_2022-12-29-17-56-09-23_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You can't rely on Ford or Sunrun for your charging needs. This is from a fellow forum members just a heads up.

Screenshot_2022-12-29-17-56-09-23_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
I don't want Sunrun to install it for me I just want them to send it to me. I'd settle for an acknowledgement that they owe me a charger.

Jersey Devil

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 XL
Occupation
Truck Driver
I purchased my new Lightning truck on November 25, 2022 and have a few questions. Thank you in advance for any responses provided.

1) How long does it take Sunrun/Ford to get the Home Charging Station sent out to the customer?

2) When the dealer dropped off the vehicle, the truck only had 65 Miles to empty. After taking several days of continuous charging with the backup charger, I got the truck to 230 miles to empty range at 100% charge. Will the truck realize the advertised 300-mile range once I receive the Home Charging Station?
Watch State of Charge videos on YouTube & go to QMerit website. They gave me a quote & had charger installed in a week.
Sponsored