• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

New Ford Lightning Owner Stranded Without Ford Home Charging Station

OP
OP

geographer

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Geographer
Fact - regardless of the charger used, the range on the vehicle is identical. Why? Because electricity is electricity.

You either bought the Standard Range truck, or you live in a cold climate. Refer to the window sticker.
Thanks @RickLightning - I had to ask the dumb question to get a smart answer. I knew this was the case but trying to light a fire under Ford/Sunrun to get me my home charging station so i can charge quicker than using the emergency charger.
Sponsored

OP
OP

geographer

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Geographer
Quoted from another thread, look for the SunRun C/S phone line to check in to see if they received your sale data yet, that's assuming you bought a truck with an extended ranger battery, otherwise you're on your own in securing a capable EVSE.
Thank you @TaxmanHog - I will call them because the Dealer claims to have called them multiple times.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Thanks @RickLightning - I had to ask the dumb question to get a smart answer. I knew this was the case but trying to light a fire under Ford/Sunrun to get me my home charging station so i can charge quicker than using the emergency charger.
You still didn't say whether you have an SR or an ER.

And the included charger is not "an emergency charger". It's the Ford Mobile Charger, capable of up to 30amps of charging with a proper 240v outlet.

meow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER; 2024 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL
So yes, I am stranded at home for days.
If you aren't lucky enough to have 2 DCFC locations within a mile of you like I am, you could plug the mobile charger you received into a 240V outlet (e.g. a 14-50p), like I could (I don't have one yet - complications here mean it's not as simple as just installing an outlet).

...but despite that, you and I are both inconvenienced, we are not stranded.

240V @ 30amp for the mobile charger means charging is measured in hours, not days. Overnight will get you most of the way charged.

OP
OP

geographer

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Geographer
When your dealer registers the sale under your name, SunRun should receive notice to ship out the charger, assuming you bought an ER Lightning and not an SR Lightning which does not include the 80A FCSP.

Verify what you purchased on your window sticker and let us know ?
@metroshot thank you for your response, please see attached window sticker. The dealer said my truck doesn't come with the Charger and then retracted their statement after becoming as knowledgeable about the truck they were selling to me as I was about the truck I was buying from them. see their email below...

Chris,

You are correct. Purchasing a Lightning Platinum does include the Ford Charge Station Pro. I talked with Matt and he let me know that Ford will be sending it to you directly. Please keep me in the loop as I want to make sure that you get it and will do whatever I need to do to help. I hope you enjoy the Lightning.
__

Sales & Leasing Professional

Attachments

Sponsored

Nick503955

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat, 2021 Tesla Model Y
I certainly hope so. It really sucks to have a new truck and not be able to drive it but one day out of the week. I only get 235 miles of range on an extended-range truck and the Dealership/Ford/Sunrun can't figure out how to get me a Home Charging Station. So yes, I am stranded at home for days.
Fair enough. It seems the sentiment here is a little defensive of the truck, since this is more about not having home charging infrastructure than the truck failing in some way.

That said, you may want to install a NEMA 14-50 receptacle and grab a mobile charger. Even if you later install a permanent EVSE, it's helpful to have a mobile connector when you're on the road for campgrounds. I like the Tesla mobile connector combined with a Tesla to J1772 converter. You'll want the converter anyway in case you run into a Tesla destination charger (not a Supercharger).

You can probably find a Tesla mobile charger for cheap on Offerup or Craigslist.

Edit: I noticed this thread is tagged as "possible lemon." This gets back to my point that the title seems inappropriate.

Last edited:

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Thank you @Tomwilli2025 - I will get on the 240amp ASAP and have contacted the dealer regarding the Sunrun validation since I didn't get an order number from Ford. Someone backed out on this truck and I was the lucky/unlucky recipient.
It's 240VOLTS, not amps.

If you get the charge station PRO you want a 100A breaker circuit and correct adequate wiring that can handle that load over whatever distance you have between your breaker box and the 240V outlet. The Pro charger is rated at 80Amps, the Ford Connected charger is rated at 48Amps, and mobile charger is rated at 32/30Amps, so the dedicated breaker needs to be sized appropriately. - I think your electrician will use 100A/60A/40Aor50A breakers respectively depending on which charger you have or will install and what Ford recommends.

You can consult the NEMA charts to determine the correct wire size needed - note that copper wire has gotten expensive lately. The last time I looked at the prices I was shocked (pun? sorry).

I think they recommend hard-wiring the Charge Station Pro rather than using a socket.

Of course any L2 charge station (EVSE) will work with the Lightning if it uses the standard J1772 plug (there are Tesla to J1772 adapters if you need one). The rate of charging will depend on the amp rating.

For my 2012 Leaf I use a GE Watt Station that delivers 240V/30A and required a 240V/40A breaker, equivalent apparently to what the Ford mobile charger is rated at. But of course the Lightning has a much larger battery than my Leaf.

For battery longevity, don't charge to 100% unless you absolutely need it.
For recommends 90% but more other EV companies recommend 80%.
Battery 'experts' say Li batteries last even longer if charged to a mid-level, somewhere below 80% but above 10%.

Lead acid batteries prefer 100% for longevity, but not Li batteries - different chemistry.

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
2022 F-150 Lightning with Dual Emotor-Extended Range Battery. I haven't seen anything close to 300 miles of range (235). It was a mannequin for the dealership. The most range I have seen so far is 235 miles.
Welcome to the world of EVs.
Sadly the EPA is just like the EPA mpg for ICE cars... Optimistic at best, ideal driving conditions and a synthetic cycle.
Most people tend to get 2-2.2 miles per kWh on a good day (this is 50+ degree weather as well) so 250-290miles.
Add a bit of cold weather and your range drops fairly quickly. Mine is sitting with 51% state of charge and 91 miles right now, so I'd be "glad" to see 180 miles on full charge (same truck as yours).
Speed is your enemy for range, 80mph is bad, 70mph not great, 60 is better...

Your charger will usually show up in 2-4 weeks, a mannequin complicates things as they need to register it as sold and update your address. Sunrun will probably reach out to confirm the address.

OP
OP

geographer

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Geographer
It's 240VOLTS, not amps.

If you get the charge station PRO you want a 100A breaker circuit and correct adequate wiring that can handle that load over whatever distance you have between your breaker box and the 240V outlet. The Pro charger is rated at 80Amps, the Ford Connected charger is rated at 48Amps, and mobile charger is rated at 32/30Amps, so the dedicated breaker needs to be sized appropriately. - I think your electrician will use 100A/60A/40Aor50A breakers respectively depending on which charger you have or will install and what Ford recommends.

You can consult the NEMA charts to determine the correct wire size needed - note that copper wire has gotten expensive lately. The last time I looked at the prices I was shocked (pun? sorry).

I think they recommend hard-wiring the Charge Station Pro rather than using a socket.

Of course any L2 charge station (EVSE) will work with the Lightning if it uses the standard J1772 plug (there are Tesla to J1772 adapters if you need one). The rate of charging will depend on the amp rating.

For my 2012 Leaf I use a GE Watt Station that delivers 240V/30A and required a 240V/40A breaker, equivalent apparently to what the Ford mobile charger is rated at. But of course the Lightning has a much larger battery than my Leaf.

For battery longevity, don't charge to 100% unless you absolutely need it.
For recommends 90% but more other EV companies recommend 80%.
Battery 'experts' say Li batteries last even longer if charged to a mid-level, somewhere below 80% but above 10%.

Lead acid batteries prefer 100% for longevity, but not Li batteries - different chemistry.
yes... volts not amps. we currently have two (2) 200 AMP panels and one (1) 100 AMP sub panel in the basement. I have the utility provider coming out to get me setup with another dedicated 200 AMP panel in the garage bringing me to a total of three (3) 200 AMP panels so we can dedicate the one in the garage to my truck and possibly my wife's EV in the future.

Sponsored

LUXMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning PRO and XLT
Occupation
Pilot
You can also go into the menu on the screen behind the steering wheel. Using the menu button. And you can reset the EV driving history. Because you know in those first 900 miles people were driving it hard and that really lowered the average miles per kilowatt. so if you reset that you will get possibly a better expectation of your range

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
I'm in the exact same situation. I bought a Mannequin Platinum on December 12. I've called Sunrun, Ford, and my dealer multiple times and can't get an answer as to when I'll get the Charging Station Pro. Sunrun says they need to know when the dealer reported the sale to Ford, the dealer sent them confirmation it was reported sold to Ford. Sunrun has all the information they need in their "escalation file" but there is still a hold-up somewhere. It's super frustrating.

The wiring for the FCSP is installed in my garage. There's no neutral so a NEMA outlet is not an option. I'm stuck plugging the mobile charger into a 120V outlet, which isn't cutting it.

I've made due by charging at work when there's a charger available, using a friend's charging station, and a nearby DC fast charger. It works but making due is pretty terrible customer service on a very expensive vehicle.

Ford has made something simple overly complicated. When I took delivery of the truck the charger should have been in the frunk, or in the back seat, or in the bed, or pretty much anyplace other than a warehouse that doesn't have a blue oval on the front of the building. There are hundreds of mannequin vehicles that are supposed to come with a FCSP; Ford needs to do better than this.

kbuicker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
Thank you @Tomwilli2025 - I will get on the 240amp ASAP and have contacted the dealer regarding the Sunrun validation since I didn't get an order number from Ford. Someone backed out on this truck and I was the lucky/unlucky recipient.
I will sell you mine, PM me.

OP
OP

geographer

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Geographer
I'm in the exact same situation. I bought a Mannequin Platinum on December 12. I've called Sunrun, Ford, and my dealer multiple times and can't get an answer as to when I'll get the Charging Station Pro. Sunrun says they need to know when the dealer reported the sale to Ford, the dealer sent them confirmation it was reported sold to Ford. Sunrun has all the information they need in their "escalation file" but there is still a hold-up somewhere. It's super frustrating.

The wiring for the FCSP is installed in my garage. There's no neutral so a NEMA outlet is not an option. I'm stuck plugging the mobile charger into a 120V outlet, which isn't cutting it.

I've made due by charging at work when there's a charger available, using a friend's charging station, and a nearby DC fast charger. It works but making due is pretty terrible customer service on a very expensive vehicle.

Ford has made something simple overly complicated. When I took delivery of the truck the charger should have been in the frunk, or in the back seat, or in the bed, or pretty much anyplace other than a warehouse that doesn't have a blue oval on the front of the building. There are hundreds of mannequin vehicles that are supposed to come with a FCSP; Ford needs to do better than this.
@Henry Ford thank you for responding. I have a 57-minute and 34-second recording of my conversation with Sunrun this morning. Since I was being recorded, I also informed them that I would be recording for my records. This is my first Ford. I would love to be a champion customer but it is hard to do under the circumstances.

I see that you are in Michigan. When did you take possession of your truck and what is the highest range you have seen? I have read that Ford warranties the batteries to a 70% degradation over the 100K miles or 8 years life span whichever comes first. This is pretty Alarming when the outside temperatures were above mid-50's and only hit 230ish range... already close to that 70% number (210 miles). Guess we will see.

OP
OP

geographer

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Geographer
If you aren't lucky enough to have 2 DCFC locations within a mile of you like I am, you could plug the mobile charger you received into a 240V outlet (e.g. a 14-50p), like I could (I don't have one yet - complications here mean it's not as simple as just installing an outlet).

...but despite that, you and I are both inconvenienced, we are not stranded.

240V @ 30amp for the mobile charger means charging is measured in hours, not days. Overnight will get you most of the way charged.
You're welcome. I think you'll love the truck as long as its not a road tripper vehicle and you can charge at home. It tows great but the range is only 150-200 miles depending on aero of the load. I've researched public charging in Indiana and it's not the best. I usually make a few trips up there north of Terre Haute every year to deer hunt and its a challenge getting from Clarksville TN to Evansville because of infrastructure. Good luck.
I do like the truck overall and it is very luxurious but just have to get over the inability to charge efficiently at home. Hopefully, when Spring time rolls around, I will see an expanded range (closer to what was advertised and sold). I will also look forward to Spring so we won't be advised by Ford to only use the steering column and seat warmers to stay warm in order to extend the range of the vehicle.

Since you are a hunter and have been extremely helpful, I will be happy to create you some topographic relief maps with aerial photography and parcel/land ownership if you want to take me up on the offer.
Sponsored