Sponsored

Planning for home backup power

MontaneLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightnin
An electrician evaluating the Ford home backup power system I bought (but haven’t installed) told me that the system could only supply a maximum of 32 amps to the house, and that it is thus not a whole home backup. Does this sound accurate?
thanks!
Sponsored

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
An electrician evaluating the Ford home backup power system I bought (but haven’t installed) told me that the system could only supply a maximum of 32 amps to the house, and that it is thus not a whole home backup. Does this sound accurate?
thanks!
Not correct.

If planning and using (the very expensive to install) Ford Home Integration System it is capable of 9.6kw. ( 240v @ 40a)

"In an outage, tap into 9.6kW of power available at any given time from your truck to your backed up devices. That means lights stay on, food stays fresh, phones & computers stay charged, your WiFi keeps running, and more!"

Source: https://www.sunrun.com/ev-charging/ford-f150-lightning

If simply using the 240v bed plug with a Transfer switch. That is a 30A plug. So 7.2kw max output.

So not sure where the 32A number would be coming from.

If you are talking about the full Home integration system and you are alright with the expensive install cost. I would still say BUYER BEWARE... there have been several users on the forum that have struggled mightily and some that have simply given up on installing it for a myriad of reasons.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
thanks!
32A is about what the truck has to deliver at DC battery voltage in order to power the SunRun inverter at max output. That’s the only way I can think he could have arrived at that number.
As far as what is capable of being delivered to the house, @luebri has it right.

Karlos

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice Blue & 2023 Silver ER Lariat Lightnings
Occupation
Retired CPA, active pilot
I just wired up the LER Lightning to power:

1. House - thru Reliant Manual Transfer switch connected to the two 20 Amp 120V circuits in the bed. Powers lights, fridge, microwave, washing machine & some wall outlets.
2. Hangar - also thru second transfer switch connected to the 30 Amp 240V circuit. Powers the well pump, H20 pressure pump, septic system, hangar overhead door, beer fridges & lights. Usually don't need well pump as we have 1000 gal storage tank.

We have separate 200 Amp panels feeding off one meter & 22 MwH solar panels. Thru the solar panel inverter, I can run an extension cord to the truck & charge it (slowly) thru 120V charger while the sun's shining & grid's down.

Bandit216

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Lightning Lariat
I just wired up the LER Lightning to power:

2. Hangar - also thru second transfer switch connected to the 30 Amp 240V circuit. Powers the well pump, H20 pressure pump, septic system, hangar overhead door, beer fridges & lights. Usually don't need well pump as we have 1000 gal storage tank.
You have multiple beer fridges in your hangar?

Sponsored

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
I could use the 9.6kw 30A plug in the bed to hook up to a transfer switch on my old panel and get backup power but it wouldn’t be automatic or convenient.
Bed only puts out 7.2kW, 30A @ 240Vac. I can very carefully backfeed, via my 200A panel, small home 240Vac variable speed air conditioner (shows 30A need but only peak max load at <10A) and other 120Vac circuits. But other 240Vac circuits for a spa, induction stove/oven, would be overloading.

mags

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Pro SR
Occupation
Computer Things
Bed only puts out 7.2kW, 30A @ 240Vac. I can very carefully backfeed, via my 200A panel, small home 240Vac variable speed air conditioner (shows 30A need but only peak max load at <10A) and other 120Vac circuits. But other 240Vac circuits for a spa, induction stove/oven, would be overloading.
Hypothetical question, backup power for my house is a future project. Do you think running a burner or two on the induction range would trip the breaker? My range is on a 50A circuit but I figured making dinner wouldn't go near that.

v2h8484

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Hypothetical question, backup power for my house is a future project. Do you think running a burner or two on the induction range would trip the breaker? My range is on a 50A circuit but I figured making dinner wouldn't go near that.
It's more than possible to trip with burners especially if they are on the same 120V phase. The limit is 3600W@120V.

mags

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Pro SR
Occupation
Computer Things
It's more than possible to trip with burners especially if they are on the same 120V phase. The limit is 3600W@120V.
In that case, it makes more sense for me to keep a countertop hotplate for outages. Thanks!

Sponsored

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
thanks!
9.6kwh is 40amps. 80% of 40 amps is 32 amps. Your electrician is confusing this system with a variety of other rules and practices regarding branch circuits or portable generators or power factors. Your truck will provide a full 40 amps and nothing requires the load to be downsized to 80% of that.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Burners are 240V, not 120. The average residential range uses 10-12 KW. That includes 4 burners and the oven. The truck will power 2 burners just fine, unless this is some premium super high power unit.

mags

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Pro SR
Occupation
Computer Things
I installed a 50A circuit for the range because that’s the demand for Thanksgiving Family Reunion Mode, where you’d be blasting every burner while broiling 4 casseroles and a turkey.