• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Potential Ford Lightning Buyer. Would love to hear your advice.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
You will prob not need the mileage of the ER but when you need the extra your gonna wish you had it. Go big or go home😂
If you plan on longish road trips in the Lightning the ER battery is a good idea.
There are some Pro's with ER batteries, but they are a rare breed.
If they let you order one, note it is a $10,000 additional cost (or was when I looked into it).
Besides a larger battery (131kWh vs 98kWh SR) it has two AC-DC converters so it can charge at the full 80A of the FCSP at home, if you need it.
Sponsored

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
PPS: I also got a tailgate lift assist - to stop if bouncing around when open and on the road (Winunite brand - $24 on Amazon - comes with all the tools too!)

rhscnative

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
So the window sticker says 240 miles of range (or 320 with the extended range) but you don't really get that on a day to day basis because the recommend you only charge to 90%. Plus when you get underway you get "range change" a lot of times - especially if the truck has been sitting a couple of days. In addition, you are only supposed to get down to 20% before recharging so your "real" range is going to be somewhat less than 240/320. So make sure that works for you. Having said that, I love my XLT with the extended range option. I needed the extended range in order to do a drive that I do on a regular basis non-stop - but if the standard range would work for you then go for it - but that 240 number is not realistic nor is 320 (extended range).

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
There is a few on here with constant miracle range numbers on a SR, based on my experience I'd stick with 2m/kwh and plan no better then 180 miles max.

These rubber impact liners are really nice and far more comfortable then spray in when climbing in and out. I've had all manner of truck bed liners and these non slip are really nice. Spray on is very durable, but unless you are dumping lose material in the bed is kind of over kill. I also have the Lasfit mats too.

https://www.lasfit.com/products/ford-f150-5feet-5inch-2015-2024-heavy-duty-bed-liners

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I'm one of those people who get "miracle" range on my lightning. It's very much climate and user dependent. I driver a bit slower than I used to (especially on the freeway), live in a desert so very mild winters, drive mostly city streets (45-50mph) and have a 500ft drop in elevation from home to work. My daily commute of 27 miles each way averages 2.8mpk fall through spring, 2.5mpk in the summer ( use a lot of AC and remote start to cool cabin ). I just rolled over 30k miles and lifetime avg ( trip 2 reset when I bought w/600miles on it and never reset since ) is 2.5mpk. Road trips in hot or cold ( 40F is cold for me :D ) avg around 2.0mpk at 70mph.

Yeah, range is a hot topic when it comes to EV's. Definitely do your research into the range estimator ( or the Guess-O-Meter ) so you don't let it trick you. A little forward thinking/planning is all it takes to make it work. Yes it's harder, but for my personal use case it's an order of magnitude better than any ICE I've ever owned. I paid $4k over MSRP and have no regrets (other than paying $4k over MSRP :D )

Sponsored

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
What @Zprime29 said above is great with actual conditions for his range. I'm not even close with my normal drives, but the 2m/kwh is best for roadtrips at 70mph for sure.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Last edited:

John Becker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Light'g Lariat SR, '18 Audi S5 Cabriolet
My 2023 Lariat SR came with all-season tires and a bed mat. If I could go back in time and were to order again, I'd get the exact same thing.

FloridaMan655321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1973 F100, 2024 Flash
If you just want a big e/toy I would suggest the xlt, if range doesn't matter, I made a mistake not knowing anything about EV and purchased a ford lightening xlt with a 250 mile range for $58699 and 4 and a half months later depreciated by $27,000 with only 2800 miles, the cost to run it is approximately $250 a month charging ut at home with a 50 Amp plug with is approximately 40 dollars more than I was spending on my 2022Tundra I love the lightening but I will be getting rid of it as soon as the 2025 rams come out in texas.
That sounds like a horrible depreciation figure.

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Occupation
Retired Hvy Construction
I made a mistake not knowing anything about EV
I am amazed that folks would buy a totally new product without research first.

You are wise to search out information from owners, but the actual facts of the product and if it will fit your life is the most important. It is not a typical combustion F150.

I think mine is the best pickup I have ever driven. It fits my life perfectly, will it fit you?

Sponsored

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
If you just want a big e/toy I would suggest the xlt, if range doesn't matter, I made a mistake not knowing anything about EV and purchased a ford lightening xlt with a 250 mile range for $58699 and 4 and a half months later depreciated by $27,000 with only 2800 miles, the cost to run it is approximately $250 a month charging ut at home with a 50 Amp plug with is approximately 40 dollars more than I was spending on my 2022Tundra I love the lightening but I will be getting rid of it as soon as the 2025 rams come out in texas.
I cannot imagine your electric rates are that much higher than here in north Texas. You must drive a ton of miles??

OP
OP

Laxputs

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shopping
So many great replies. Glad I started this thread. Thanks for all the responses!

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I been buying cars for 40 yrs and never had a vehicle depreciate that much.
I suspect a couple possibilities. You had the worst timing possible, sold to a bad dealer, didn't research the value of the truck, didn't negotiate well, or some combination of those. When I search nation wide for used XLT's on TrueCar, the cheapest price is $41k. Even if you shave a little extra off for selling to a dealer, that's still a lot more than what you got. That $41k means it would be 30% depreciation. That seems high but the EV market overall has taken a huge hit. Due diligence pays for both buying and selling. Having the time and patience helps too, since I don't know your full situation I can't say one way or the other if you could have done better. Just pointing out what the current situation is.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
All great suggestions. Anyone get the hard-folding tonneau?
I got a Gator Evo cheap off craigslist. It's the same bed as in every other F150, so you can find them cheap. It's super low profile and nice to have that bit of extra security. Weight isn't much of a factor for anything. There are plenty of better covers out there, but I'll upgrade when the truck is paid off and can afford more.
Sponsored