Sponsored

PSA: Fast Charging derating significantly on hot days

sd25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Rivian R1T
Posting this in case it helps someone else that encounters this issue.

TL;DR; Turned out to be a refrigerant leak in the AC system that keeps the battery cool - I have the Max Tow package with the separate cooling system.

I don't fast charge often, but recently noticed that in 90F and above weather, when fast charging the truck (at 20% SoC) would start charging at 165kW but would very quickly drop to 100kW and then down to 40kW long before the 80% SoC drop. At the end of a recent charging session (to 65% SoC) I saw that the Battery Temp gauge was reading high.

I also noticed that the fans were not going into "jet engine" mode when fast charging like they used to. Earlier, when fast charging on hot days you could really hear the fans going and could feel the air being sucked in at the front of the truck.

Car Scanner app connected to an OBD dongle showed that Coolant Inlet Temp was high - same temp as the HVB Battery Temp. So it didn't look like the battery was being cooled properly.

Shared my observations with the dealer and they diagnosed it as a leak in the AC line that cools the battery.

(EDIT) UPDATE:
Tried fast charging on a hot day after the dealer fix and it's working normally now! Peaks at 170kW for a few minutes, then holds steady at 133kW then a gradual taper around 70% and then the big taper at 80%.

Fans kicked in loudly this time during charging.

Car Scanner showed Coolant Inlet Temp was much cooler than HVB Battery Temp and the HVB Battery Temp never got too high.

ADDITIONAL DETAILS ON THE PROBLEM:
Dealer retrieved DTC code P0F47:00:6D (A/C Refrigerant system 'B' charge loss).
Prior, I used a generic OBD scanner and didn't get any DTC codes, so dealer has access to more detailed info.

They traced the leak to the high side port valve and replaced it, then refilled the 'freon'.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
150kW EA station had me hang out at 80-85kw after a 5 min boost period. 40 min to go from 32% to 80%. Was around 110F (if you believe the truck's temp reading, more likely 105F). That's about what I got last summer.

Glad you got the leak fixed!

Flagpts

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ranger
I definitely had a slowdown at 114* this weekend. Stayed in the 85-87 range. Charged like normal when it was only 105ish out. LOL.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
This doesn't happen with the Mach-E, because owners take the recommended Ford precautions to cool the system:

Ford F-150 Lightning PSA: Fast Charging derating significantly on hot days mach-e-food-frunk

OP
OP

sd25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Rivian R1T
UPDATE:
Tried fast charging on a hot day after the dealer fix and it's working normally now! Peaks at 170kW for a few minutes, then holds steady at 133kW then a gradual taper around 70% and then the big taper at 80%.

Fans kicked in loudly this time during charging.

Car Scanner showed Coolant Inlet Temp was much cooler than HVB Battery Temp and the HVB Battery Temp never got too high.

ADDITIONAL DETAILS ON THE PROBLEM:
Dealer retrieved DTC code P0F47:00:6D (A/C Refrigerant system 'B' charge loss).
Prior, I used a generic OBD scanner and didn't get any DTC codes, so dealer has access to more detailed info.

They traced the leak to the high side port valve and replaced it, then refilled the 'freon'.

BSull

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette, F150 Lighnting, Mercedes GLC300
Occupation
retired
So, got a question regarding HVB cooling. Using car scanner, my cooler inlet and max temp are usually the same or within a tenth of a degree or so. But the other day, I did a service street 13 mile trip then went home using the freeway more miles about the same travel time. Air temp was around 112 or so, service street trip ended with max temp and cooler inlet at 102.2. At the end of the freeway trip cooler inlet temp was in the low 90s, max temp was under 100. Confusing battery working harder but running cooler?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
So, got a question regarding HVB cooling. Using car scanner, my cooler inlet and max temp are usually the same or within a tenth of a degree or so. But the other day, I did a service street 13 mile trip then went home using the freeway more miles about the same travel time. Air temp was around 112 or so, service street trip ended with max temp and cooler inlet at 102.2. At the end of the freeway trip cooler inlet temp was in the low 90s, max temp was under 100. Confusing battery working harder but running cooler?
Increased air flow over the condenser coil improved the chilling at the glycol/refrigerant heat exchanger.

BSull

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Increased air flow over the condenser coil improved the chilling at the glycol/refrigerant heat exchanger.
So the electric fans aren't really all that efficient for around town driving?

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
So the electric fans aren't really all that efficient for around town driving?
No technical data on how good they are/are-not, but high speeds moved gross air through the undercarriage helps a lot.

BSull

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
No technical data on how good they are/are-not, but high speeds moved gross air through the undercarriage helps a lot.
Yeah get that but just like in an ICE vehicle, electric fans can change speed dependent on airflow needs. I'm assuming of course that the max tow condenser and the HVAC condenser have their own fan.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Yeah get that but just like in an ICE vehicle, electric fans can change speed dependent on airflow needs. I'm assuming of course that the max tow condenser and the HVAC condenser have their own fan.
No, the they are adjacent to one another, stacked.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Ford F-150 Lightning PSA: Fast Charging derating significantly on hot days 1720987479044-gs

Ford F-150 Lightning PSA: Fast Charging derating significantly on hot days 1720987599233-5t

Ford F-150 Lightning PSA: Fast Charging derating significantly on hot days 1720987542146-n9

Ford F-150 Lightning PSA: Fast Charging derating significantly on hot days 1720987571482-nh
Sponsored