Sponsored

Question for 240V Portable Charger Users

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
My portable charger stays plugged in to a 240V outlet on a 60a 50a dedicated circuit. It is my only home charging device for the past year. Lately, more and more, I am noticing that I don't consistently get the 6 kW charge speed that I should get. Instead I get 3 kW. The display shows part orange instead of the solid blue light. It will sometimes flip back and forth between 6 and 3 kW.

Anyone have any input or suggestions?

Ford F-150 Lightning Question for 240V Portable Charger Users IMG_5960.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
You are experiencing what many have experienced, the Ford Mobile Charger failing after constant usage. If the neck is seated properly, then get the charger replaced by your dealership and get a high quality charger like Emporia, JuiceBox or Chargepoint.

Emporia, Juicebox, and Chargepoint

Warren

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Occupation
Carpenter
I have been having issues with mine as well. Charges fine on 110v, but 220v is inconsistent. Was doing fine for a month, then I returned home from vacation to find it blinking an error code.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Ya, it's overheating and derating. It could be a bad connection at the wall or dongle but it could be internally overheating and causing the derating. Try warranty first but there are many other options now like amproad, electron, etc.

Sponsored

Warren

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Occupation
Carpenter
Ya, it's overheating and derating. It could be a bad connection at the wall or dongle but it could be internally overheating and causing the derating. Try warranty first but there are many other options now like amproad, electron, etc.
Wall connection is brand new and installed by licensed electrician. Charger showed an error the first time we plugged it into 220v, and the next day it worked fine. Was good for a whole month, then I left for a week and now it is acting up again. Will certainly try to get it replaced by the dealer.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I've used my Ford Mobile Charger EVSE from day one, FULL TIME, at my home, and after 39,000 miles over 16 months, it has had no problems giving me the power I need, anytime. I dare say that those who simply assume that it somehow 'can't' do the job is just unjustified. I believe that more of the 'issues' are due to other problems..whether the outlet, the power, the truck, or even the 'seating' of the plug adapter into the base of the unit, etc.
I have, though, seen this 'yellow' color highlighted one time, and I simply unplugged the unit from the outlet, reset the 'collar' of the 240v adapter into the base of the unit, replugged, and have had no issues since.
I even take this on every trip with me. I've used the 120v adapter several times, as well.

All these units do is provide the 'switch' to allow the 240v power to flow to the truck. There is no 'magic' to one model or brand over another. I would rather have three 'no name' 240v Adjustable EVSE models versus one single 'name brand' expensive unit that makes no difference in the long run. There is no 'safer' unit, versus any other, either. These are also no different whether they are 'mobile' plug-in units, or 'permanent' hard-wired units - they all do exactly the same job.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I've used my Ford Mobile Charger EVSE from day one, FULL TIME, at my home, and after 39,000 miles over 16 months, it has had no problems giving me the power I need, anytime. I dare say that those who simply assume that it somehow 'can't' do the job is just unjustified. I believe that more of the 'issues' are due to other problems..whether the outlet, the power, the truck, or even the 'seating' of the plug adapter into the base of the unit, etc.
I have, though, seen this 'yellow' color highlighted one time, and I simply unplugged the unit from the outlet, reset the 'collar' of the 240v adapter into the base of the unit, replugged, and have had no issues since.
I even take this on every trip with me. I've used the 120v adapter several times, as well.

All these units do is provide the 'switch' to allow the 240v power to flow to the truck. There is no 'magic' to one model or brand over another. I would rather have three 'no name' 240v Adjustable EVSE models versus one single 'name brand' expensive unit that makes no difference in the long run. There is no 'safer' unit, versus any other, either. These are also no different whether they are 'mobile' plug-in units, or 'permanent' hard-wired units - they all do exactly the same job.
Many, many Mach-E owners, with another year of usage, have had failed chargers.

Hardwired over plug wins in safety any day. And is faster.

As to your 3 cheap vs 1 expensive, I have shown the math before:

$399 cheap unit vs

$600 expensive unit, less $500 rebate from utility, less 30% tax credit...

tom666317

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I have used the Mobile only for 15k as well. The Ford dealer tried to tell me that the Mobile isn't designed to be used daily when I brought it in when it started acting up (same issues the OP is reporting.) I called BS and told them to replace the charger under warranty. The replacement hasn't had a single issue, and I continue to use it as my daily. Don't let the dealer BS you.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician

You've been lucky. The Mach-E forum is full of people having problems with their mobile charger. I hope you keep having good luck with it, especially now that it's out of warranty.

Sponsored

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
Ours went south after 43,000 miles, near daily use w/SR MME over 19 months. Replaced with a ChargePoint HomeFlex. As the defective charger came with the MME at purchase, summer of ā€˜21. Ford replaced it. The S.O. now uses it at 120V charging maybe once a week. The CP Home Flex now dedicated to the 7 month old LT.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
It has nothing to do with your issue, but a 60A circuit feeding a 14-50 receptacle isnā€™t code-legal.

OP
OP

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
It has nothing to do with your issue, but a 60A circuit feeding a 14-50 receptacle isnā€™t code-legal.
I thought 80% of the draw was the rule. 60 x .8 is 48. So, off by two? I haven't read the rules myself...but since the draw is only 32a, you are correct. That is not the issue.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I thought 80% of the draw was the rule. 60 x .8 is 48. So, off by two? I haven't read the rules myself...but since the draw is only 32a, you are correct. That is not the issue.
The problem is you can't have a 50 amp rated receptacle on a 60 amp circuit. Then, the highest charge rate you can put through the receptacle is 40 amps. The breaker needs to be changed to a 50 amp device.

The charger you are using only draws around 32 amps. To utilize a 48 amp charge rate, you would have to get a unit that can do it, and then hardwire it.

OP
OP

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
The problem is you can't have a 50 amp rated receptacle on a 60 amp circuit. Then, the highest charge rate you can put through the receptacle is 40 amps. The breaker needs to be changed to a 50 amp device.

The charger you are using only draws around 32 amps. To utilize a 48 amp charge rate, you would have to get a unit that can do it, and then hardwire it.
I'm not trying to draw 48a. Only thing I plug in there is the 32a charger. Not sure I get the issue with the code. Is it that the breaker should not be higher amp than the receptacle, so that it trips if overloaded?
Sponsored