• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Range keeps getting better

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lighting Lariat ER; Volvo S60 Recharge
There's a lot more reason to obsess over this in an EV. Not in town, where I rarely use 70% of my battery in a day and there are DCFC options everywhere. But on trips in ICE, there are gas stations everywhere, and I never worry about being stranded. Road trips in an EV often involve a focus on charging enough to make it to the next charger, and not getting accurate info from the vehicle could leave you calling a tow truck, especially in an EV.

Often to get places from Phoenix, the first leg of your trip is to Flagstaff. It's only 143 miles from my house to the EA charger in Flagstaff, but it's also more than a mile in elevation climb and a high speed limit where you are absolutely an asshole for driving 65 most of the way. There are no DCFC options along the way, the one Tesla SC is a V2. Once you are out of Phoenix, it's Flagstaff or a tow truck. In an SR, in winter I wouldn't attempt it. With an ER it was dicey and only done by drafting bobtails for a great deal of the trip and keeping the cabin heat low or intermittent. There is one option, that's to reroute through Sedona, adds 5 miles and 30 mins to the total drive time and it's a lot more 2-lane highways and winding roads. You have to make the call at 2/3rds of the drive to Flagstaff if you have the juice to get there. An accurate GOM is crucial to that decision. I'd also say that if it can't be accurate, it needs to be pessimistic. What we currently have is optimistic, and I think that's dangerous.

I'm sure there are other areas where you similarly need accurate info. I'm about to drive to San Diego. El Centro is the last charger on the way until El Cajon, and there's a 4,400 ft mountain to climb. then it's about 4,000 ft down to El Cajon. If you make it to the top of the mountain, you can coast to the beach. accurate information in El Centro lets me know just how long I have to hang out there. The charger is in the parking lot of a bank, a quarter mile from a shitty convenience store and it's about 120F in the summer.... I don't want to stay there any longer than I absolutely have to.

More ubiquitos charging locations solves this, but until we have them, we have to either trust the GOM or do the math constantly.
I know that drive from Phoenix to Flag very well, especially where the Sedona Tesla chargers are on 179. Adding 30 minutes could be very optimistic, if the traffic moving through Sedona is slow--and it often is on weekends. You probably know about it --there is a Tesla Supercharger station in Mayer, but that is only 66 miles from Phoenix. But from Mayer, you are only 80 short miles to Flagstaff. As a plus, it's right off of I-17. Not a bad option for a quick charge and saves some worrying about making it to Flagstaff.

https://www.tesla.com/findus/location/supercharger/cordeslakessupercharger
Sponsored

Effonefiddy Lightning

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning SR Antimatter Blue /2023 Model Y
Occupation
Retired
I'm curious, how many of us was as obsessed about the "Distance to Empty" meter in our ICE vehicles as we are about the range guesstimate in our EVs? I'm wondering if Ford is doing itself a disservice by having it front and center like it is.
Because range is generally less in an EV and we were used to not worrying about it, we are now more aware of this fact now, driving an EV.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
I know that drive from Phoenix to Flag very well, especially where the Sedona Tesla chargers are on 179. Adding 30 minutes could be very optimistic, if the traffic moving through Sedona is slow--and it often is on weekends. You probably know about it --there is a Tesla Supercharger station in Mayer, but that is only 66 miles from Phoenix. But from Mayer, you are only 80 short miles to Flagstaff. As a plus, it's right off of I-17. Not a bad option for a quick charge and saves some worrying about making it to Flagstaff.

https://www.tesla.com/findus/location/supercharger/cordeslakessupercharger
That charger isn't open to non-teslas. At least it doesn't show when you filter for NACS superchargers.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
I always charge to 100% , this is a standard range battery.

20240628_074801.jpg
I'm guessing you may be a troll based on your post but I'll share some insight just in case you are genuine.

1) Just curious why you charge to 100 every day when the manual recommends only charge to 80%? Unless you are going on a long trip and need the extra range, charging to 100% is not good for the battery longevity and chemistry.

2) This guess-o-meter should be ignored. Miles per kWh is the only metric that matters. Your Standard battery is 98 kWh so you need to be averaging 2.3 miles per kWh to see the factory estimated 230 mile range.
If you putt around town at low speed most of the time will see 3-4 miles per kWh average and the guess-o-meter will adjust its range estimate calc.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I always charge to 100% , this is a standard range battery.

20240628_074801.jpg
Exactly. My average mi/kwh X SOC. That's all I use.
I charge to 80% daily.
My gom estimates once battery reaches 80 SOC seem based on recent driving habits.
Depending on how I drive, or conditions, i can manipulate it to display between 160 to 220.
The meaning of this? No meaning at all as far as I can tell.
There's a common theme here. While I'm normally onboard with bashing the GOM, What Terry is sharing is 100% plausible. I've shared in the past averaging 2.8 mpk over 1000's of miles in mild weather. That's not far off from what Terry has achieved here. The GOM does take recent driving as a factor. I always see a lower GOM estimate after a road trip compared to right before the trip.

Terry has obviously hit the sweet spot for EV use and knows how to drive to maximize its efficiency. There's nothing optimistic about this range. He's in mild weather and driving in the city, that's what he can expect for those conditions. As long as he understands that will change drastically when he hits the road for extended high speed driving, he's fine.

@TerryNelsen I am curious as to why you decided to charge to 100% every day. It isn't considered best practice for battery longevity. Of course, neither is DCFC and I saw a recent study that said there was a negligible difference in battery degradation due to DCFC over a given period of time so who knows for sure. Lab test results sometimes don't translate to real world application I suppose.

Sponsored

KickingGas

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro w/ Tow Tech Package
My GOM was showing 249 mi at 100% the other day. Never going to happen!! I was charged to 100% to go to the airport, where I once rolled in with 52% left, and once with 73% left. Makes me crazy... Also, no fast charging between there and my house. (Although I think there will be if I ever get my adapter.)

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
I charge to 100% each time mostly because my 50amp plug with Tesla mobile charger combo doesn't have a setting to stop it. I never bothered hooking up my Ford 80amp charger as I didn't want it outside of my garage where I park. Don't think the HOA would allow by my front door anyway. I won't own this truck long enough for it to make a difference so I don't stress too much about it. Not to mention I'd rather have extra range, than come up short.

I'm curious, how many of us was as obsessed about the "Distance to Empty" meter in our ICE vehicles as we are about the range guesstimate in our EVs? I'm wondering if Ford is doing itself a disservice by having it front and center like it is.
As others have noted, we can't just pull over at any of gazillion gas stations at every other exit and fill up in 5 minutes. For those of use who frequently drive 70mph+ highways and drive long distances range matters. Many of my drives still require %*mi/kwh front and center of my mind when on the road.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I charge to 100% each time mostly because my 50amp plug with Tesla mobile charger combo doesn't have a setting to stop it. I never bothered hooking up my Ford 80amp charger as I didn't want it outside of my garage where I park. Don't think the HOA would allow by my front door anyway. I won't own this truck long enough for it to make a difference so I don't stress too much about it. Not to mention I'd rather have extra range, than come up short.

As others have noted, we can't just pull over at any of gazillion gas stations at every other exit and fill up in 5 minutes. For those of use who frequently drive 70mph+ highways and drive long distances range matters. Many of my drives still require %*mi/kwh front and center of my mind when on the road.
But the truck has a setting...

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
But the truck has a setting...
Supposedly. My truck setting says charge to 90% on the menu, unless I get it to do the one time to 100% option. However, my truck just charges to 100 anyway when I charge at home; event though it will cut off my DC fast charge at 90. Hasn't been something that has concerned me enough to dedicate the time to figure out.

To be fair, since I occasionally use my cargo trailer in town, I'd rather charge 100 times to 100% than forget that one time that I was going to move some stuff around town and then have to deal with that inconvenience at the last minute.

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
They data sent to Ford is essentially a down payment on futurebetter software prediction models in 2030 and beyond for New Electric Iron on U S hwys. I want the first lightning 250 and the first F350 lightning these trucks are awesome
More like a down payment on a summer house in the Hamptons for the Ford execs, information is money in the digital age.

Sponsored

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
I would say they are only because they're treating the dash like one's driving an ICE vehicle not an EV. I would be happier if the showed actual numbers like the ones that are shown from the OBD reader.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Supposedly. My truck setting says charge to 90% on the menu, unless I get it to do the one time to 100% option. However, my truck just charges to 100 anyway when I charge at home; event though it will cut off my DC fast charge at 90. Hasn't been something that has concerned me enough to dedicate the time to figure out.

To be fair, since I occasionally use my cargo trailer in town, I'd rather charge 100 times to 100% than forget that one time that I was going to move some stuff around town and then have to deal with that inconvenience at the last minute.
Supposedly?

No, it does have a setting. Apparently you haven't set it for your home charging location. Manual tells you how, forum has many threads on it. Time? Yes, it takes about 45 seconds to do...

And the 90% cutoff is a default for everyone. Which has nothing to do with AC charging.

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
Supposedly?

No, it does have a setting. Apparently you haven't set it for your home charging location. Manual tells you how, forum has many threads on it. Time? Yes, it takes about 45 seconds to do...

And the 90% cutoff is a default for everyone. Which has nothing to do with AC charging.
Yep found it, I think. The latest app update, even though I find the layout and improvements nice, lags a bit. No doubt at some point I moved on to something else. Anyway, I'll have to remember to do it in a couple of weeks. I have a nearly 2k round trip coming up, and no way I want to risk forgetting to adjust the settings to allow a charge to 100 with 3 small kids in the truck for 19 hours. :crackup:

RichB-HTX

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
Look at your trip meters. One of them may have your cumulative miles per kwhr. Mine is about 2.0 because I do mostly highway driving. Based on my driving pattern at 100% SOC the most it wil show is about 239 miles range.

If you do mostly local driving at lower speeds, your lifetime miles per kwhr is likely a bit higher than mine and your estimated range at 100% soc will be proportionately higher and realistic for local driving but not for highway driving.
Sponsored