• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Range keeps getting better

TerryNelsen

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Electrician
I always charge to 100% , this is a standard range battery.

Ford F-150 Lightning Range keeps getting better 20240628_074801
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
In warm weather, it will be better. And the more local driving you do, the higher the number.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I've seen this anomaly, too, but always disregard this 'good news' as nothing that will hold water, unless you are downhill and in slow traffic.
I also disregard any 'less than' range that sometimes shows, too... I always default to what I KNOW... my 'average' mi/kwh for my driving, times my SOC Battery at any given moment...

Sedawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT ER
This isn’t your range - it’s some wild (and obviously wrong) guess at what your range will be. Want to know how far you really will go? Just use your battery % and ABRP. City or highway. Flat or massive elevation change. Speeding or not (be sure you put that into your settings). ABRP will give you a very good prediction of your arrival SOC and hence your true range.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Mine has been very optimistic lately, last 90% charge had a range of 315 miles ]ER], my recent driving pattern has been mostly non-highway.

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
I'm curious, how many of us was as obsessed about the "Distance to Empty" meter in our ICE vehicles as we are about the range guesstimate in our EVs? I'm wondering if Ford is doing itself a disservice by having it front and center like it is.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I'm curious, how many of us was as obsessed about the "Distance to Empty" meter in our ICE vehicles as we are about the range guesstimate in our EVs? I'm wondering if Ford is doing itself a disservice by having it front and center like it is.
I’d turn it off, if I could!

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
I pretty much ignore the guess-o-meter range anxiety instigator, because I have been driving a 2012 Leaf since Dec 2011 and am used to seeing things like leaving home with 50 mile range estimate, going to the store all level driving, obeying the speed limits and using regenerative braking maximally, and getting home to find my range is now 52 miles - wow, magic!

Forget the 1st and 2nd laws of thermodynamics, we're driving magical EVs that defy physics!?

It takes some getting used to so new-to-EV driver can be forgiven for the anxiety or excitement the guess-o-meters induce.

marc_hanna

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I pretty much ignore the guess-o-meter range anxiety instigator, because I have been driving a 2012 Leaf since Dec 2011 and am used to seeing things like leaving home with 50 mile range estimate, going to the store all level driving, obeying the speed limits and using regenerative braking maximally, and getting home to find my range is now 52 miles - wow, magic!

Forget the 1st and 2nd laws of thermodynamics, we're driving magical EVs that defy physics!?

It takes some getting used to so new-to-EV driver can be forgiven for the anxiety or excitement the guess-o-meters induce.
Did you get your Leaf battery replaced under warranty? I’m surprised to hear of 1st gen still on the road. The EV club I was part of back in 2013 had a few Leaf owners and they were all on the list for a battery replacement.

Sponsored

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I've seen this anomaly, too, but always disregard this 'good news' as nothing that will hold water, unless you are downhill and in slow traffic.
I also disregard any 'less than' range that sometimes shows, too... I always default to what I KNOW... my 'average' mi/kwh for my driving, times my SOC Battery at any given moment...
Exactly. My average mi/kwh X SOC. That's all I use.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
There's a lot more reason to obsess over this in an EV. Not in town, where I rarely use 70% of my battery in a day and there are DCFC options everywhere. But on trips in ICE, there are gas stations everywhere, and I never worry about being stranded. Road trips in an EV often involve a focus on charging enough to make it to the next charger, and not getting accurate info from the vehicle could leave you calling a tow truck, especially in an EV.

Often to get places from Phoenix, the first leg of your trip is to Flagstaff. It's only 143 miles from my house to the EA charger in Flagstaff, but it's also more than a mile in elevation climb and a high speed limit where you are absolutely an asshole for driving 65 most of the way. There are no DCFC options along the way, the one Tesla SC is a V2. Once you are out of Phoenix, it's Flagstaff or a tow truck. In an SR, in winter I wouldn't attempt it. With an ER it was dicey and only done by drafting bobtails for a great deal of the trip and keeping the cabin heat low or intermittent. There is one option, that's to reroute through Sedona, adds 5 miles and 30 mins to the total drive time and it's a lot more 2-lane highways and winding roads. You have to make the call at 2/3rds of the drive to Flagstaff if you have the juice to get there. An accurate GOM is crucial to that decision. I'd also say that if it can't be accurate, it needs to be pessimistic. What we currently have is optimistic, and I think that's dangerous.

I'm sure there are other areas where you similarly need accurate info. I'm about to drive to San Diego. El Centro is the last charger on the way until El Cajon, and there's a 4,400 ft mountain to climb. then it's about 4,000 ft down to El Cajon. If you make it to the top of the mountain, you can coast to the beach. accurate information in El Centro lets me know just how long I have to hang out there. The charger is in the parking lot of a bank, a quarter mile from a shitty convenience store and it's about 120F in the summer.... I don't want to stay there any longer than I absolutely have to.

More ubiquitos charging locations solves this, but until we have them, we have to either trust the GOM or do the math constantly.

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
I charge to 80% daily.
My gom estimates once battery reaches 80 SOC seem based on recent driving habits.
Depending on how I drive, or conditions, i can manipulate it to display between 160 to 220.
The meaning of this? No meaning at all as far as I can tell.

Etsquared

First Name
ET
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
Occupation
Retired
They data sent to Ford is essentially a down payment on futurebetter software prediction models in 2030 and beyond for New Electric Iron on U S hwys. I want the first lightning 250 and the first F350 lightning these trucks are awesome
Sponsored