• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Range took a huge drop

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I do! Over 89,000 miles and 9 years I get 29.8 MPG when EPA was 23 city, 37 highway. I get smartly in the middle of the two numbers. On the Lightning, I am getting below both the highway and the city numbers. And the decision as to whether or not an EV is for me, is my decision, not yours.
I think we've already had the discussion that your Fusion didn't get 29.8mpg on each trip, but let's not go there.

Where I will go is to say that you cannot selectively decide that 29.8 is what the combined mileage is supposed to be. Two reasons:

While 29.8 might be "in the middle" of 23 and 37, that's not how EPA estimates work. For the 2013 Fusion, there is no model that got 23 and 37 per this page - https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Pow...Model=Fusion&srchtyp=ymm&pageno=1&rowLimit=50

But, let's assume you meant the 23 and 35 of the 1.6L. Note that the combined city/hwy number is 27. It's not "in the middle". They don't take an average of the two numbers.

Pretty clearly you did more highway driving with the Fusion than the EPA's formula accounts for. Saying that means you exceeded the EPA's estimate is, well, plain wrong.

On the Lightning, what city and highway numbers are you referring to, since the sticker just has MPGe numbers?
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Or you could just do 2.1 x 131 and simplify all that.

Until you actually drive it to 0 its all a guess, whether you do the math or the truck does. And if this causes the driver anxiety and strife they are better off going back to ICE.
This ^^^

I expect a much higher percentage of F-150L buyers to give up the truck in the first year as compared to Mach-E buyers, because of the lack of understanding of how EVs work. When you start talking EVs, you find that a great many people have no clue.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Or you could just do 2.1 x 131 and simplify all that.

Until you actually drive it to 0 its all a guess, whether you do the math or the truck does. And if this causes the driver anxiety and strife they are better off going back to ICE.
*soapbox*
If the truck would display total HV battery kWh remaining available to driver with instant kWh/mi usage and (bonus) 'kWh/mi Since Last Charge' in that pretty battery gauge area, it would all be easy and accurate. Appreciate the GOM for what it is: Making somewhat intelligent longer-range future guesses. Provide accurate data about the present over by the battery 'fuel' gauge. Yes, you can find the percentage and do the extra math, too. But, why not just tell me how many 'gallons' of battery I have left?
*off soapbox*

Next project, get a 1-pedal driving tile on the 15" screen, or at least make it where I don't have to scroll the screen to to get to it. Ridiculous.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Using degradation to explain the GOM is ridiculous. Not a single Lightning has any degradation at this point.
At almost 12k miles I can guarantee you my Lightning has degraded some maybe not the 10% but it has degraded over those miles.

Hereā€™s a great article about battery degradation. From driving several EVā€™s during the years specifically Tesla some tend to degrade faster than others depending on circumstances.

https://www.recurrentauto.com/research/how-long-do-ev-batteries-last

Claiming no Lightning has degraded at this point is False.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
At almost 12k miles I can guarantee you my Lightning has degraded some maybe not the 10% but it has degraded over those miles.

Hereā€™s a great article about battery degradation. From driving several EVā€™s during the years specifically Tesla some tend to degrade faster than others depending on circumstances.

https://www.recurrentauto.com/research/how-long-do-ev-batteries-last

Claiming no Lightning has degraded at this point is False.
The article you refer to is using the displayed range to show battery degradation. That's a joke, give the discussion about the GOM.

It also says " We estimate around a 5% decrease in range from 50,000 to 200,000 miles", yet you said 10% for brand new vehicles that have nowhere near 50,000 miles.

You can hook up an OBD reader and see what it says.

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I will eventually end up doing the the OBD after 25k miles. Degradation is unavoidable and again levels off after the first year.

The OP needs to set his appointment for service so he can be told everything is normal or told something is defective. At this point we are all guessing.

Here you go OP, you arent the only one. Again, this is all expected and normal. But take it to service and see what they say.

Ford F-150 Lightning Range took a huge drop 69975515-E632-480C-A303-3096EA712140

Last edited:

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Settings:
Vehicle:
Scroll to the bottom
ā€œEV Driving Historyā€
Once you reset it, your range will magically got back to 320 or 250 respectively.

It clears the prior driving history so like stating from scratchšŸ‘šŸ»
Thank you for the instructions!! Helpful.

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I think we've already had the discussion that your Fusion didn't get 29.8mpg on each trip, but let's not go there.

Where I will go is to say that you cannot selectively decide that 29.8 is what the combined mileage is supposed to be. Two reasons:

While 29.8 might be "in the middle" of 23 and 37, that's not how EPA estimates work. For the 2013 Fusion, there is no model that got 23 and 37 per this page - https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Pow...Model=Fusion&srchtyp=ymm&pageno=1&rowLimit=50

But, let's assume you meant the 23 and 35 of the 1.6L. Note that the combined city/hwy number is 27. It's not "in the middle". They don't take an average of the two numbers.

Pretty clearly you did more highway driving with the Fusion than the EPA's formula accounts for. Saying that means you exceeded the EPA's estimate is, well, plain wrong.

On the Lightning, what city and highway numbers are you referring to, since the sticker just has MPGe numbers?
Rick, thanks for the lengthy response. I was out walking the dog (Red Fox Lab; 14 months old today!) so only now getting to read this. Comments are:

As for the Fusion: I didn't [mean to] say that the Fusion exceeded the EPA numbers. Rather, coming in at 29.8 was satisfactoryto me, given the 23 - 35 range, and given my mixed driving. I did not check the mileage on each trip; rather, I used one of the "trip meters" and never reset it for 89,000 miles. It settled in at 29.8 within the first 1,000 miles and never deviated from that over 9.5 years. And it always gave me a range just over 500 miles on a fill up, which was great.

As for for the range on the Lightning: Someplace in this (or another thread) someone said, "Iā€™ve regularly seen 320-340 mile range in mixed driving with mostly highway. Even long range highway trips have been 260-290 miles. My average per full charge is over 300 miles in 5,000 miles of driving." That implies -- for this person ONLY, I know -- a range of 260 - 340 miles. My Lightning is coming in below the lowers number of 260.

I'm sensative at the moment because for Thanksgiving I need to visit a friend who has ALS. And, along the route, there are not enough fast chargers. Just making me nervous!!

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I'm sensative at the moment because for Thanksgiving I need to visit a friend who has ALS. And, along the route, there are not enough fast chargers. Just making me nervous!!
That explains it all - range anxiety due to an upcoming long distance trip.

Why don't you just not stress yourself out and drive an ICE or rent an ICE for your trip.

Why get all wrapped up in range and miles when an EV is obviously not for you.

Instead, you should have gotten the hybrid or PHEV version first before jumping into a full on BEV.
Many people on other forums I moderate hae jumped into a full EV and didn't realize some changes need to be made when coming from a gasser.

Look at the Ford F150 PowerBoost hybrid - amazing range (700+) and excellent gas mileage....

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
That explains it all - range anxiety due to an upcoming long distance trip.

Why don't you just not stress yourself out and drive an ICE or rent an ICE for your trip.

Why get all wrapped up in range and miles when an EV is obviously not for you.

Instead, you should have gotten the hybrid or PHEV version first before jumping into a full on BEV.
Many people on other forums I moderate hae jumped into a full EV and didn't realize some changes need to be made when coming from a gasser.

Look at the Ford F150 PowerBoost hybrid - amazing range (700+) and excellent gas mileage....
Thanks for your thoughts. I'm sticking with the Lightning.

Sponsored

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron,Chevy Volt,BMW I3,Mach-E,F150 Lightning
Why donā€™t you flip to a Trip B to track long term mpk. Mine is an extremely stable 2.4 right now on about 11,000 miles. hasn't moved in months. Should decline in winter to 2.2 or so but snap back in spring.

I think the ā€˜this tripā€™ bounce around is not helping your thought process. Ignore GoM or switch to SoC on calm screen.

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Why donā€™t you flip to a Trip B to track long term mpk. Mine is an extremely stable 2.4 right now on about 11,000 miles. hasn't moved in months. Should decline in winter to 2.2 or so but snap back in spring.

I think the ā€˜this tripā€™ bounce around is not helping your thought process. Ignore GoM or switch to SoC on calm screen.
Good advice. I've swithced to the Calm screen. I do have "Trip B" from when I picked it up at the dealer. It shows 2.3, which should equate to 301 miles.

justin_lang

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning
Occupation
Real estate
I got in my extended range today and it reads 188 miles at 90%. Range average is 2.2 because I did several long highway trips. Seems crazy low though! I did a long trip yesterday probably averaged 1.6. Anyone know how it calculates the recent miles?

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I got in my extended range today and it reads 188 miles at 90%. Range average is 2.2 because I did several long highway trips. Seems crazy low though! I did a long trip yesterday probably averaged 1.6. Anyone know how it calculates the recent miles?
1.6 * 131 * .9 = 188 1.6 is your mpkw, 131 is the capacity in kw, and .9 is 90%.

justin_lang

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning
Occupation
Real estate
Yes thatā€™s what I was wondering, is it just based off the most recent trip?
Sponsored