First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I mentioned a caking/leaking of grease around the driver's rear axle, on the tire end, the other day at my 50,000 mile checkup...

they replaced the whole Drive Axle assembly today, in about 3 hours, although I heard a lot of 'banging and hammering'
during the process... I was told that it's not only because of the huge casting assembly that handles the suspension, but
the huge amount of 'loading' on the rear drive/motor setup, that makes this more difficult than normal. I can imagine.

Replaced under warranty. $0. Had no prior issues during driving, though. Had no issues after replacement while driving home.

BEFORE:

Ford F-150 Lightning Replaced:  Rear Driver DRIVE AXLE...  under warranty @ 49,000 miles caking on rear drive axle area

tire side axle boot, caked grease all around

Ford F-150 Lightning Replaced:  Rear Driver DRIVE AXLE...  under warranty @ 49,000 miles probably a leaky cv boot

probably a leaky outside axle boot

Ford F-150 Lightning Replaced:  Rear Driver DRIVE AXLE...  under warranty @ 49,000 miles the motor side boot looked ok

the interior 'motor end' boot looked just fine

Ford F-150 Lightning Replaced:  Rear Driver DRIVE AXLE...  under warranty @ 49,000 miles Screenshot 2024-10-24 1.30.55 PM

Ford F-150 Lightning Replaced:  Rear Driver DRIVE AXLE...  under warranty @ 49,000 miles new drive axle assembly installed

new Drive Axle... notice the 'no-rust' interior connector

looks like I've got some additional 'cleaning up' to do.... oh well.

Thank you FORD.
Sponsored

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
I think that's what they replaced on mine at my 10k mile service. They said it must have just been defective from the factory cause it was leaking a little bit, but it was nice to have it quickly taken care of. They even picked up my truck and brought it back afterwards!