First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I mentioned a caking/leaking of grease around the driver's rear axle, on the tire end, the other day at my 50,000 mile checkup...

they replaced the whole Drive Axle assembly today, in about 3 hours, although I heard a lot of 'banging and hammering'
during the process... I was told that it's not only because of the huge casting assembly that handles the suspension, but
the huge amount of 'loading' on the rear drive/motor setup, that makes this more difficult than normal. I can imagine.

Replaced under warranty. $0. Had no prior issues during driving, though. Had no issues after replacement while driving home.

BEFORE:

Ford F-150 Lightning Replaced:  Rear Driver DRIVE AXLE...  under warranty @ 49,000 miles caking on rear drive axle area

tire side axle boot, caked grease all around

Ford F-150 Lightning Replaced:  Rear Driver DRIVE AXLE...  under warranty @ 49,000 miles probably a leaky cv boot

probably a leaky outside axle boot

Ford F-150 Lightning Replaced:  Rear Driver DRIVE AXLE...  under warranty @ 49,000 miles the motor side boot looked ok

the interior 'motor end' boot looked just fine

Ford F-150 Lightning Replaced:  Rear Driver DRIVE AXLE...  under warranty @ 49,000 miles Screenshot 2024-10-24 1.30.55 PM

Ford F-150 Lightning Replaced:  Rear Driver DRIVE AXLE...  under warranty @ 49,000 miles new drive axle assembly installed

new Drive Axle... notice the 'no-rust' interior connector

looks like I've got some additional 'cleaning up' to do.... oh well.

Thank you FORD.
Sponsored

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
I think that's what they replaced on mine at my 10k mile service. They said it must have just been defective from the factory cause it was leaking a little bit, but it was nice to have it quickly taken care of. They even picked up my truck and brought it back afterwards!

MountainAlive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lighting ER 512A
Great to see Ford replaced this. Is that typical for a leaky boot? I guess it may have compromised the gear teeth perhaps? Note: not a mechanic lol.

WoodduckMN

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Tesla Y, 22 Lightning Lariat, 21 Chevy Bolt, 13 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Manager
On my 2022 with 20,000 miles was just replace last week. It was noticed when I was having the tires rotated. Ford covered it at 100%.

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Good to see things like this posted, one more thing for me to keep an eye on and be able to catch early if so.

Sponsored

Yzlvr

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER
Do you have extended warranty?

I mentioned a caking/leaking of grease around the driver's rear axle, on the tire end, the other day at my 50,000 mile checkup...

they replaced the whole Drive Axle assembly today, in about 3 hours, although I heard a lot of 'banging and hammering'
during the process... I was told that it's not only because of the huge casting assembly that handles the suspension, but
the huge amount of 'loading' on the rear drive/motor setup, that makes this more difficult than normal. I can imagine.

Replaced under warranty. $0. Had no prior issues during driving, though. Had no issues after replacement while driving home.

BEFORE:

caking on rear drive axle area.jpg

tire side axle boot, caked grease all around

probably a leaky cv boot.jpg

probably a leaky outside axle boot

the motor side boot looked ok.jpg

the interior 'motor end' boot looked just fine

Screenshot 2024-10-24 1.30.55 PM.jpg

new drive axle assembly installed.jpg

new Drive Axle... notice the 'no-rust' interior connector

looks like I've got some additional 'cleaning up' to do.... oh well.

Thank you FORD.

WhiteBolt

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro EV, 2004 SVT Lightning
Occupation
Manufacturing
I have to go for my 20k checkup. I'm seeing a slight weeping below both outer hubs. Going to ask them if that's normal.
Ford F-150 Lightning Replaced:  Rear Driver DRIVE AXLE...  under warranty @ 49,000 miles IMG_2277

OP
OP
hturnerfamily

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
at first, just seeing a dry build up of 'grease' on the lower control arm casting was not a big red flag... at least, until I went and looked at the other side and it looked like it was just shipped from the factory: clean.

the boots are to not only CONTAIN the grease for the moving parts within, but also to DETER any infiltration of dust, dirt, and debris into that same moving part. They really can't be 'replaced' since they are BUILT as a whole single unit, onto the axle... and, as some might do, trying to make use of a 'split boot' replacement would be risky...
Sponsored