• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Retrofit Smart Hitch/Onboard Scales to MY23?

dustinroyer

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-E, 2023 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
Teacher
Noticing that the MY24 Lightnings have restored the Smart Hitch/Onboard Scales to the Tow Technology Package, I was wondering if anyone has attempted to retrofit the onboard scales to their MY23 Lightning that had them deleted from the Tow Technology Package.

I found what appear to be the parts necessary for it on fordparts.com:
  • 18B008 - Control Module,
  • 5359 - Air Bag Suspension Sensor Assembly (Front sensors, need two),
  • 5A908 - Shield,
  • 5A967 - Bracket And Lever Assembly (Rear sensors, need two),
along with the wiring harnesses to connect everything together and changes in FORScan to enable it.

There's a good thread here about adding it to the ICE F-150s. From the bit that I have read, the sensors are also used for the self-leveling headlights on ICE F-150s. There aren't any sensors on my truck (MY23 Lightning XLT with Tow Tech), but all of the mounting holes for them are there. Interestingly enough, fordparts.com shows the parts listed above as compatible with my VIN.

I'm not sure if it's a worthwhile project, but, after seeing today's announcement, I was wondering if anyone has been brave enough to attempt it on a Lightning.
Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
Anything's possible with enough time, effort, and money.

Worthwhile? Not in my opinion. I've used the scales in my truck a few times but only to verify it was indeed overloaded. It didn't change my behavior one bit.😁

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
I'm curious if Ford will be making it available to owners to have done at the dealer? I have 2x MY23 LIghtnings, a Plat and Lariat. Both are missing it. It would be great if they would just let me pay back the credit I was given on the sticker (which I think was a couple hundred bucks).

Mmiketa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
I'm curious if Ford will be making it available to owners to have done at the dealer? I have 2x MY23 LIghtnings, a Plat and Lariat. Both are missing it. It would be great if they would just let me pay back the credit I was given on the sticker (which I think was a couple hundred bucks).
If I remember correctly it was like $26 on the window sticker.

Sponsored

BhamDCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro ER
Watching this thread. I would be really interested in doing this if someone figured this out.

Mcfly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma trd off road
Occupation
Realtor
Same, someone do it. @ZSC100 you up for figuring this one out? 😜

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Since they calibrate it with a giant press, no.

Ford F-150 Lightning Retrofit Smart Hitch/Onboard Scales to MY23? PXL_20220426_162936471.MP

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
Since they calibrate it with a giant press, no.

PXL_20220426_162936471.MP.jpg
That's an obstacle, not a barrier. Just because Ford is willing to pay $1 million for a machine that does the same thing that...uh, weight does doesn't mean it can't be done. I have faith the members of this forum can come together and do the things that probably aren't worth doing!😆

mb0220

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Anything's possible with enough time, effort, and money.

Worthwhile? Not in my opinion. I've used the scales in my truck a few times but only to verify it was indeed overloaded. It didn't change my behavior one bit.😁
This.
It's a cool gimmick, but definitely not worth the trouble to add after market IMO.

Sponsored

reffahcs

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning
I had to look mine up. It was $650 for me. I also want my Multicontour seats for $300.

Screenshot 2024-04-16 171048.jpg
I'm with you on the seats, would be really nice of @Ford Motor Company to offer a trade in program. I'd be willing to pay the $300 plus labor to have them swapped.

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
Noticing that the MY24 Lightnings have restored the Smart Hitch/Onboard Scales to the Tow Technology Package, I was wondering if anyone has attempted to retrofit the onboard scales to their MY23 Lightning that had them deleted from the Tow Technology Package.

I found what appear to be the parts necessary for it on fordparts.com:
  • 18B008 - Control Module,
  • 5359 - Air Bag Suspension Sensor Assembly (Front sensors, need two),
  • 5A908 - Shield,
  • 5A967 - Bracket And Lever Assembly (Rear sensors, need two),
along with the wiring harnesses to connect everything together and changes in FORScan to enable it.

There's a good thread here about adding it to the ICE F-150s. From the bit that I have read, the sensors are also used for the self-leveling headlights on ICE F-150s. There aren't any sensors on my truck (MY23 Lightning XLT with Tow Tech), but all of the mounting holes for them are there. Interestingly enough, fordparts.com shows the parts listed above as compatible with my VIN.

I'm not sure if it's a worthwhile project, but, after seeing today's announcement, I was wondering if anyone has been brave enough to attempt it on a Lightning.
I guess no one ever figured this out I would like that as well-Maybe😂

Sneakypetie78

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 limited
Occupation
General Contractor
I was bummed to have them deleted, but quickly got over it when I really thought about it and realized the only time I'd use it was to show friends. Or the once in a blue moon: "wow much does that weigh??"
Sponsored