Selling because I drive too much.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I sincerely appreciate everyone’s thoughts. This is my fourth EV since 2019, and I’ve covered about 120K all-electric miles over that time. I’m comfortable with high-mile Teslas because of their reputation, and Tesla will replace the entire pack for about $15K out of warranty.

I’m uncomfortable with the Lightning because of how the modules fail. I had a module condemned in January because the voltage was out of balance with the rest. The truck set a trouble code, limited charging, and it required a repair that would be $10K out of warranty. I fast charge frequently, but I’m not worried about degradation because it’s not a problem for modern liquid-cooled batteries, and I have no evidence to suggest the LIghtning would be different.

We have lots of evidence of modules failing because of voltage imbalances, though. I love that Ford made a serviceable pack, but there’s no world where I can lower an 1,800-lb pack to replace a module. Two years from now, I’ll still be paying down the loan, and a sudden high-dollar module failure would be crushing.

Maybe this is unfounded. Perhaps these modules die young or not at all, and 200,000-mile Lightnings will be common a decade from now. But what if they’re not? My previous 3 EVs never had a battery problem…only this Lightning. I love the truck, and things would be different if I was living my 2018 lifestyle. I was still active duty back then and drove a reasonable of miles.

Good points about the fuel cost difference, but half my miles are on the road. I made my last trip in my 20-year-old Expedition, and my fuel cost at 10.7 MPG over 3,200 miles was almost identical to my Lightning. Charging at home might as well be free, but public charging ain’t cheap!

You’ve got a great eye!

Yup, I was there last month and it was one of the most amazing places I’ve seen. I’ll probably make it out there again next spring.
Your concern is understandable. If worrying about it is going to keep you up at night, it’s not worth it. Best of luck with your replacement.
Sponsored

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
Just thinking out loud! I totally get where you’re coming from and it is definitely a difficult decision to try to make especially with the financial considerations. If you were driving an ICE vehicle and it had a “similar“ type repair not sure what that would be fuel pump or something with the head or valves, engine issue, etc. would you be feeling the same? I know this is not entirely the same because this is a newer technology…
How many miles were on it when you had the module failure and how many have you put on since?
Not trying to change your mind or complicate your thought process. I just always would want to completely think things through from all angles before making that kind of decision.
I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide to do!

MrLoganRoss

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23.5 MachE GTPE & '24 Lightning Lariat
Mine is at 98% with lots of DCFC, but that’s not what bothers me. I don’t think the battery health is gonna come anywhere close to 80%, even at 200K.

My battery health was also at 98% when I had a module fail, and it limped to the shop at the same 98%. I’m worried about cell/module failure out of warranty, not battery degradation. This may not be a problem out of warranty…maybe they die young or not at all?

I’d be in a financial pickle if I had an out-of-warranty failure on the road while I was still paying it off. I’ve got enough to stress about without that on my mind…I’d probably feel different if I didn’t already have a module replaced.
IMG_2881.jpeg
Would an extended warranty be an option?

OP
OP

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
Just thinking out loud! I totally get where you’re coming from and it is definitely a difficult decision to try to make especially with the financial considerations. If you were driving an ICE vehicle and it had a “similar“ type repair not sure what that would be fuel pump or something with the head or valves, engine issue, etc. would you be feeling the same? I know this is not entirely the same because this is a newer technology…
How many miles were on it when you had the module failure and how many have you put on since?
Not trying to change your mind or complicate your thought process. I just always would want to completely think things through from all angles before making that kind of decision.
I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide to do!
That’s a good point, and much of that is driving my decision process.

I’ve lost more to depreciation over the last ten years than anything else. I also have two older cars, an ‘04 Expedition and a ‘13 Prius. Neither are worth very much, but I’ve kept them around because they’ve been good to me.

My leading option is to sell the truck and drive the Prius around town, using the Expedition to pull and travel with. Use those until something blows up, then get something newer with a focus on total cost of ownership. I can afford something new, but don’t want to be in a situation where I’m underwater for the entire life of the loan.

Maybe I should stick to something cheaper because of how many miles I drive. Everything eventually depreciates to nothing, and I’m wearing them out quick at this pace. The only thing I’m certain about is how much of a beating I’ve taken on this Lightning. The rate of loss is slower now, but I’d owe over $25K by the time I run out of warranty. That’s not a situation I want to be in.

Hell…with the deals offered on new ones, I’d come out ahead if I sold today, drove my beater until the spring, then bought a new one with the silly discounts we’re seeing. Some have posted $25K off a new flash?! That’s nuts! Carvana is offering me $35K for it…there’s no way I’d buy this truck for $35K with new trucks being discounted that much.

Maineiac12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lightning Flash 312A
I saw this same post on Facebook earlier today. Enjoy retirement!

(and yes, those Flash deals are real)

Sponsored

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER and 2023 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
.......... Trophy husband
Well, at least Atlas Blue should be an easy private sale (don't let the dealer give you a measly $35k for it!)

Good luck and happy trails

Cheers
Zap

Mach Turtle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E, 2024 XLT
Occupation
Bum
It's a race!

Will replacement battery prices come down, and reliable chargers become more common, before your battery slowly degrades enough to cause a problem? Place your bets now...well, that's what we're all doing.

Hope you win the bet, whichever option you choose.
Sponsored