• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Snow tire problem on Lariat

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
OP
OP

mastapsi356

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future F150b Lightning
You should be appreciative that Costco won't mount tires that don't meet spec. A great example of a company ensuring that consumers stay safe.

Note - I'm not saying that the spec is good or not, or required or not. It exists. And consumers often lack the knowledge to know / understand the spec, so the installer steps in.

The Mach-E requires XL (extra load) tires. Most consumers are clueless.
So I can appreciate that they don't install something that doesn't meet spec, except they didn't catch it when they ordered the tires two weeks before the install date.

Also, after looking into it more, the AT tires on the Lariat are 115 load index, they just derate the GVWR a bit to make up for it. So it should work fine if I don't fully load the truck, which isn't likely in the winter TBH.

Last, I'm still really annoyed because part of the reason we even got the Costco membership is because we were going to get tires.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
IMO, Discount Tire blows away Costco in every aspect. Longtime Costco member. Discount Tire customer since 1979.

OP
OP

mastapsi356

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future F150b Lightning
IMO, Discount Tire blows away Costco in every aspect. Longtime Costco member. Discount Tire customer since 1979.
Our local discount tire is the worst. They've stripped studs and improperly mounted tires several times.

Sponsored

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Sittin' On The Dock of Bay, watchin' the tide.....
Vehicles
It's got four wheels - Waiting on my '22 Lightning
Yet we beat the hell out of car salesman and IRS agents........ ;)
Humour is a lost art.
Tax - it's only lost on some.

We can pick on anyone and bust their profession.......until someone in that profession gets their knickers in a snit.

Keep the humor and humour coming. Life's too short brother.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Our local discount tire is the worst. They've stripped studs and improperly mounted tires several times.
Last year I bought new tires. They ended up damaging all 4 wheels. Almost all damage was a worn part on the machine that mounts / discounts tires, as it rotated it made a hairline scratch, barely visible except to me. This was due to it being excessively worn. Regional VP got involved, got 4 brand new wheels of my choosing. They stated that pandemic decimated their staffing, because when they shutdown they let like 90% company-wide go, and most didn't return upon reopening. Lots of trainees a year ago. They apologized and made good, I got 8 year old rims replaced with new ones. They ended up servicing all the machines.

Every company has issues. DT is great overall.

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
Just as an FYI
Nokian Hakka R5 comes in a 275/60R20 115 load index, but if the load index is your primary concern they also have a 275/55R20 with 117 LI.
Granted, you'll only be doing 67mph when your speedo shows 70, but it might be a compromise for those not willing to go with a lower load index.

Pjlightning

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
I ordered these tire & rims from Costco.
1670632300966-png.png

1670632357841-png.png

They look great and I have not noticed much of a range loss. I had to buy the TPMS from Costco as well they won't install 3rd party units. Every thing works. So I guess I will install the 3rd party TPMS on my RV trailer. See if I can get the truck see them. Oh!! these are in Canadian dollars.:)

would Costco install these for you?

Or are they not considered OEM spec approved because the size is R18, not R20?

Sponsored

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Will Costco let you bring in rims separately from the vehicle? Then you could tell them it goes on something different with different specs. You could even tell them something old enough to not need tpms.

For transparency sake I did not use Costco, I purchased some 18s (with more than adequate load capacity) and had them mounted with 265 75 18 116xl tires with no tpms. The light comes on after about 20 minutes and is usually off the next time I drive.

Galactus55

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Chevy Volt, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
would Costco install these for you?

Or are they not considered OEM spec approved because the size is R18, not R20?
Yes Costco installed, their TPMS, mounted the tires on the rims. The size of the rim does not matter 18" to 22" is OEM. My Lariat came on 20" wheel and tires. But the spare tire is on an 18" rim.

XLT Jeffy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning XLT SR
I bought DM-V2's from Costco and they installed. (XLT SR)
Have about a foot of snow here, the Blizzaks performed excellent today.
LOVE THIS TRUCK.

Ford F-150 Lightning Snow tire problem on Lariat 20221220_065731

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I ordered tires (Blizzaks DM-V2) through Costco and have run into a problem.

The load sticker on the truck specifies that you need 275/60R20 116T tires, but the Blizzaks only come in 115R. Costco ordered the tires because their system said it would work, but they wouldn't install them when they got here.

Looking into it, it doesn't seem like anyone makes 275/60R20s with a 116 load index, except maybe a few studded tires, which are soon to be banned in my state.

Anyone else run into this? I'm not even sure why the sticker is asking for 116 load index, 115 tires should be good for 10,716 lbs, and the Lightning has a GVWR of 8250 lbs. What gives?
Agree with all you said. On an earlier thread I started on this subject two months ago, folks warned that Costco would not install them. So I went to a local company -- Sullivan Tire -- and they installed them. AMAZING tires!!! AMAZING truck!!!

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Some general stuff about tires for EVs:

Sponsored