• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Someone broke my mirror! Replacing mirror glass advice?

Wjburgin

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat / 2018 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Real Estate Development / Timberland Management
I left my truck at my church for about ONE HOUR while I drove its bus to pick up some Scouts from an event. When I returned, someone had broken into the other bus, took its fire extinguisher and used it, along with a “no parking” sign to try to get into my truck! She (I believe) used the extinguisher to knock free my dummy charging flap and then used the sign to try to break my driver’s rear window. The window has scratches in it, now. She was successful at breaking my drivers mirror - and that’s the damage I definitely want to get fixed.

I’m posting this here because I wanted to know if you guys had experience just replacing the mirror glass itself. The mirror as a mechanism seems to be working fine, so all I need to replace is the glass. I know that replacing the whole mirror system is quite involved.

Thanks!

Ford F-150 Lightning Someone broke my mirror! Replacing mirror glass advice? IMG_2166

Ford F-150 Lightning Someone broke my mirror! Replacing mirror glass advice? IMG_2167

Ford F-150 Lightning Someone broke my mirror! Replacing mirror glass advice? IMG_2168

Ford F-150 Lightning Someone broke my mirror! Replacing mirror glass advice? IMG_2169

Ford F-150 Lightning Someone broke my mirror! Replacing mirror glass advice? IMG_2173
Sponsored

21st Century Truck

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 150 Lightning 2023 XLT ER pkg. 312A
I left my truck at my church for about ONE HOUR while I drove its bus to pick up some Scouts from an event. When I returned, someone had broken into the other bus, took its fire extinguisher and used it, along with a “no parking” sign to try to get into my truck! She (I believe) used the extinguisher to knock free my dummy charging flap and then used the sign to try to break my driver’s rear window. The window has scratches in it, now. She was successful at breaking my drivers mirror - and that’s the damage I definitely want to get fixed.

I’m posting this here because I wanted to know if you guys had experience just replacing the mirror glass itself. The mirror as a mechanism seems to be working fine, so all I need to replace is the glass. I know that replacing the whole mirror system is quite involved.

Thanks!

IMG_2166.jpeg

IMG_2167.jpeg

IMG_2168.jpeg

IMG_2169.jpeg

IMG_2173.jpeg
Replacing the outside mirror glass is very easy and a DIY. It takes about 15 seconds once You know how.

1). tilt the glass upward so You can get fingers or a hook trim tool under its bottom edge. 2). pull steadily with a sharp tug away from the mirror shell. 3). Once the glass's plastic backing plate releases from the round pivot stem, take a picture of the wires and where they connect (each wire will be a different color or pattern) to keep track for the new glass. 4). plug these wires into the new glass backing, as per Your picture. 5). snap / press the new glass evenly into its round pivot plate with your open hand. That's it.

A new glass on these trucks likely runs about $100 - $140 or so.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Sorry to see you’re having deal with this. Just don’t understand what the hell some folks are or aren’t thinking when they decide to destroy someone else’s property. 🙁

Sponsored

Lucky Larry

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning, RX 350, GMC SIERRA, Pontiac Solstice
looks like this mirror glass is a little bit expensive. this is for a 2023 lightning lariat. i used a Las Vegas zip code of 89109. the part number is ML3Z17K707P, you will want to have your dealer double check the part number to insure it is the correct one for your truck.

Ford F-150 Lightning Someone broke my mirror! Replacing mirror glass advice? 1726370386613-52

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
looks like this mirror glass is a little bit expensive. this is for a 2023 lightning lariat. i used a Las Vegas zip code of 89109. the part number is ML3Z17K707P, you will want to have your dealer double check the part number to insure it is the correct one for your truck.

1726370386613-52.jpg
You might also be able to get the part through a salvage yard if they have the same truck as yours.

OP
OP

Wjburgin

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Replacing the outside mirror glass is very easy and a DIY. It takes about 15 seconds once You know how.

1). tilt the glass upward so You can get fingers or a hook trim tool under its bottom edge. 2). pull steadily with a sharp tug away from the mirror shell. 3). Once the glass's plastic backing plate releases from the round pivot stem, take a picture of the wires and where they connect (each wire will be a different color or pattern) to keep track for the new glass. 4). plug these wires into the new glass backing, as per Your picture. 5). snap / press the new glass evenly into its round pivot plate with your open hand. That's it.

A new glass on these trucks likely runs about $100 - $140 or so.
Well, I have ordered the part and will attempt to get it changed myself. Thanks for the advice!

21st Century Truck

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 150 Lightning 2023 XLT ER pkg. 312A
Well, I have ordered the part and will attempt to get it changed myself. Thanks for the advice!
I just noticed Your location. Been thru Fort Beginning next door about three times for some rucksacking schooling.

Effonefiddy Lightning

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning SR Antimatter Blue /2023 Model Y
Occupation
Retired

Thanks!

IMG_2166.jpeg

IMG_2167.jpeg

IMG_2168.jpeg

IMG_2169.jpeg

IMG_2173.jpeg
Just curious, what's behind the fake charge door?

Sponsored

WilliamRobert

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2021 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
happily retired!
Three things you need first, 1. Dash camera 2. Rear dash camera 3. Dash camera with parking mode, ! I use the Viofo cameras, they now have a three camera system also.
https://www.viofo.com/

OP
OP

Wjburgin

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Just curious, what's behind the fake charge door?
Nothing - well, the "cover" was popped off to reveal a black plastic mounting plate. The would-be thief didn't break through that, so I don't know what's beyond it. I do now know that the cover snaps into place by aligning a series of slots and then pulling it forward to engage a clip to hold it in place. So, if you wanted to remove it, the reverse would be true - pop the cover backwards and it will come free.

Ford F-150 Lightning Someone broke my mirror! Replacing mirror glass advice? F150 - 1

OP
OP

Wjburgin

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Three things you need first, 1. Dash camera 2. Rear dash camera 3. Dash camera with parking mode, ! I use the Viofo cameras, they now have a three camera system also.
https://www.viofo.com/
Did you install these yourself? I'll investigate them - but are they active all of the time, so it would have recorded this incident?

WilliamRobert

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2021 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
happily retired!
Did you install these yourself? I'll investigate them - but are they active all of the time, so it would have recorded this incident?
I did install it myself, the VIOFO wiring has a switch on the power wire that allows you to select the shut off voltage so the 12 volt battery is not drained while using parking mode to record. Parking mode can be turned off.

Effonefiddy Lightning

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning SR Antimatter Blue /2023 Model Y
Occupation
Retired
Nothing - well, the "cover" was popped off to reveal a black plastic mounting plate. The would-be thief didn't break through that, so I don't know what's beyond it. I do now know that the cover snaps into place by aligning a series of slots and then pulling it forward to engage a clip to hold it in place. So, if you wanted to remove it, the reverse would be true - pop the cover backwards and it will come free.

F150 - 1.jpg
Cool thanks.
Sponsored