• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Stupid defaults on (new) Fordpass Climate pre-start

richl025

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat
So it's been > 95 degrees here recently (like much of the country), and twice today I hit the Fordpass "Climate" button hoping to cool down the truck before I got in.

While the AC was blasting nicely, imagine my surprise that the heated seats & steering wheel were also engaged!

Navigating through the "Remote Start Setup" options on the Sync screen, both "Climate Control" and "Seats and Steering Wheel" were set to "Auto".

It wasn't until I was poking around the Fordpass app where I found that there is a menu only available AFTER you remote start, where you can pre-set the desired cabin temp, and choose whether you want the seats heated or cooled. And the steering wheel heated. Of course, that was what was selected.

Can anyone think of ANY scenario when you would want heated seats turned on during the height of summer??? I mean c'mon, if it's 74 degrees outside I could imagine the truck getting confused, but it was over 95 degrees today!

Pretty stupid design flaw.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Now that you've discovered to control panel in FP, once selections are made appropriate for the season, they will be remembered for the next start cycle.

Reactions: dww

Green1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Paramedic
So my presets seem to be right for the current weather. Unfortunately the last time I remote started, I couldn't find that control panel to change them anymore (It was there last time!) So I worry that come winter I'm going to have my cooled seats on max with no way to turn them off!

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
So it's been > 95 degrees here recently (like much of the country), and twice today I hit the Fordpass "Climate" button hoping to cool down the truck before I got in.

While the AC was blasting nicely, imagine my surprise that the heated seats & steering wheel were also engaged!

Navigating through the "Remote Start Setup" options on the Sync screen, both "Climate Control" and "Seats and Steering Wheel" were set to "Auto".

It wasn't until I was poking around the Fordpass app where I found that there is a menu only available AFTER you remote start, where you can pre-set the desired cabin temp, and choose whether you want the seats heated or cooled. And the steering wheel heated. Of course, that was what was selected.

Can anyone think of ANY scenario when you would want heated seats turned on during the height of summer??? I mean c'mon, if it's 74 degrees outside I could imagine the truck getting confused, but it was over 95 degrees today!

I thought it was heating the cab on a hot day because I had the defroster on last night when it was cool. FordPass should show the settings before starting remote climate. Do the doors lock as well when doing the remote climate start? Will need to check this out again. @Ford Motor Company
I do not like FordPass usability yet, even with this redesign. Do they do any user testing before they lock in the software? It does not seem to be the case.

ChippewaBarr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Platinum Agate Black
So my presets seem to be right for the current weather. Unfortunately the last time I remote started, I couldn't find that control panel to change them anymore (It was there last time!) So I worry that come winter I'm going to have my cooled seats on max with no way to turn them off!
Yeah same!

Does anyone know how to trigger the secondary menu to select this stuff?

I saw it literally once and never again!

Sponsored

CD4TNF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning ER
I just tried it in the app. Start the climate remote control in the app. A secondary button appears below the blue highlighted climate button once climate control starts. Click the new button, Climate Settings, it opens up a new window. The defogger, heated steering wheel, heated and cooled seats are option buttons. Press which one you want on. Doesn't seem to show the current status of what is on or not on. Only highlights if you have selected it and it is on. Otherwise the option buttons are not highlighted.
There is also a slider to set the temp.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Does anyone know how to trigger the secondary menu to select this stuff?

I saw it literally once and never again!
I've experienced the disappearing climate control panel recently, I had to FORCE STOP the app to make it appear while the remote start [climate] was running to see it again. FordPass #VooDoo

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Do they do any user testing before they lock in the software? It does not seem to be the case.
Yes .... THEY DO, but the feedback I'm reading about suggests they ignore recommendations to straight line the app into production by corporate due dates

kstype

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer

Agree - I think this is another instance of them being very excited to get the “good” parts out but neglected other parts like the trip planner, trailer light check , zone Lightning, etc.

@Ford Motor Company should also have logic built into the center stack (and in FordPass) that if AC cooling is ON then when I hit the button for the seats - make it default to COOLING not heating - right now I always need to toggle through the heat to get to the cool in the cabin controls and it should not be this way.

I have confidence they will get there - we just need to provide continuous feedback. I know they are listening.

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
I get in, open the windows for a few minutes with the AC on high until it gets cooler and close the windows and It still works with the latest version of the software "upgrades".

Is the app solving problems or just creating new ones?

Sponsored

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
I have an issue with the new term "Climate" in the updated FordPass. I understand that previously calling it "Start" was not totally correct since the vehicle was getting pretty much just the climate controls turned on.

Now I'm spreaking primarily about my FFE as I've been using its start feature for six years, but my problem with calling it "Climate" is that it only turns on the climate system to whatever was on when the vehicle was last shut off. We've recently had some nice days when A/C was not needed and then the weather switched to blazing hot and using "Climate" was pointless since it would only start the fan.

Compare this to the "Go Time" schedule (called "Departure Times" in FordPass for the Lightning) where it's set to 22 C (72 F) for 7:30 am weekdays. If the car is plugged in, the cabin will be that temperature by 7:30 whether it needs to be heated or cooled to accomplish it.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I think the OP's original note has been lost. Regardless of what the new app does, if the trucks settings were set to Auto, when it was remote started in >95 degree weather then the truck didn't do what it should.

The app shouldn't be overriding those unless you specifically tell it to. Once again Ford hasn't just messed up the app, they are overriding what you've set Sync to do. This is more than a small mess.

I haven't noticed this behavior in TX, but this isn't normal behavior in any climate.

Now that you've discovered to control panel in FP, once selections are made appropriate for the season, they will be remembered for the next start cycle.
Are you saying that the app is now going to be the controlling place? If so then it should be removed from Sync, but I don't agree with this. The app should send the simple command to start HVAC. Sync should control how, or allow an override from the app, but the override from the app should be a single override that resets on the next remote "start'.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Are you saying that the app is now going to be the controlling place?
No, as it's currently operating, the buttons on the Sync screen are available to adjust after "starting" the truck to full run.

The control panel on Fordpass just allows me to toggle either way, now that we're in full swing hot season, I don't dick around with the HEATED SEAT or HEATED WHEEL buttons, only the cooled seat button is in the active setting.

Come fall as the chill set's in sporadically, I might swing to warming modes one day and then would like to remotely swing to cool mode on an alternate day.

It might be that REMOTE START "AUTO" climate in the Sync screen has become moot at this juncture, but that is what I have it set to in the settings section and on the main interface, I always have it on Auto-1-2-3 instead of a custom setup with different vent flow & fan speed options.

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
The problem with it is only being able to do it once before having to turn the truck ON with the button and if you happen to turn remote climate on while you are in the truck it sets off the alarm when you get out. Why would you do this? If you are not driving and arrive at the truck first and don’t want to reach over to push on the brake pedal while pressing the ON button or get out and go to the drivers seat to put your foot on the brake and press ON.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
BTW,

With the inconsistent roll out of software versions, some of us may have buggy variants or fixed variants, which adds to the maddening effort to proof each others method of operation as flawed or fixed.
Sponsored