• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla Charging Station Cable Length Issues!

IBeTheBot

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Occupation
IT Management
Hey everyone,

How are you all managing the issue of Tesla charging station cables being too short? I often find myself needing to take up two Tesla spots just to get my truck close enough to charge. This became a bigger problem for me over the weekend when several Electrify America chargers were down. I had to go to a Tesla station and ended up waiting for two spots to open up so I could park close enough to plug in the cable.

Would love to hear how others are handling this!
Sponsored

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Youā€™re new here arenā€™t you. šŸ˜‚

The best position to take is the last charger at the right end of the group. It may require you to get up on a curb, but itā€™s the only one that wonā€™t have you taking up two spots.

OP
OP

IBeTheBot

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Occupation
IT Management

The best position to take is the last charger at the right end of the group. It may require you to get up on a curb, but itā€™s the only one that wonā€™t have you taking up two spots.
yup, that's what I did, but it required me to wait an extra 30-45 minutes cause I couldn't take another spot. Was wondering if anyone ordered an extension cable to get around this.

1Jetpilot

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired Pilot
yup, that's what I did, but it required me to wait an extra 30-45 minutes cause I couldn't take another spot. Was wondering if anyone ordered an extension cable to get around this.
I don't believe an extension cord has been mass produced yet. A2Z has one on their website but it isn't ready to be sold yet

ericpullen

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 Lightning & 22 Mach-E
Some have these end stations that make it a bit easier, but yea itā€™s not ideal.
Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla Charging Station Cable Length Issues! IMG_8518

Sponsored

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Of the few times I've used Super Chargers, I have:
  • Taken two spots
  • Used the non-back in spot like Ericpullen's picture above
  • Used the right most spot and hug off the end
  • On one that had stalls that faced each other I used the cable for the spot in front of me
  • Pulled in to the left most charger but perpendicular to the parking spot.

šŸ¤”come to think of it, I don't think I've done any of the same thing twice, as I'm pretty sure that's all my SC uses.

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer

If a Tesla backs into the open space to your left, they still canā€™t charge, so it really doesnā€™t help them.
The worst part about needing two spots is when a SC location is full, with cars waiting to charge. Itā€™s nearly impossible to get two adjacent spaces- when SC is full, waiting for the hookup on the right end is the best option (wait in the open space to the right, and take the charge cable as soon as the occupying car unplugs).

jamelski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Lariat
There is only one fool proof way, itā€™s the best way, you really have to be willing to make it workā€¦ā€¦ Iā€™ll tell you the secret I use to make it really easy.
Dont use themšŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ˜‚

duncanmaio

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat Atlas Blue
I have seen Cybertrucks at Superchargers a couple of times - seems like they take up two spots as well (or enough of a second spot that another Tesla can't use the station).

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla Charging Station Cable Length Issues! 0cf64e9b-8e4d-4814-831c-08a1ffaa5b07-1_all_10731

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
The official word from Tesla is to use two spots. That said, the only times I've used a SC it had 20 stalls and 3 in use.

MaintGrl

First Name
Marsha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Lightning, Anti-Matter Blue SR (311a)
Occupation
Retired CWEA Grade 3 Maintenance Technician
Fortunately I don't drive the Lightning a lot, (sometimes prefer my 96 Ranger XLT with a stick), and charge at home, but eventually I'll have to figure it out when the time comes... Thanks for the ideas.

OP
OP

IBeTheBot

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Occupation
IT Management
There is only one fool proof way, itā€™s the best way, you really have to be willing to make it workā€¦ā€¦ Iā€™ll tell you the secret I use to make it really easy.
Dont use themšŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ˜‚
lol, definitely wouldn't if 5 of the 6 Electrify America stations down the road were working and not offline for three days.

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
In my many Tesla supercharger stops I have yet to be at a full Tesla charging bank, but they are usually the ones off the highway with plenty of stalls. I always take the end spot when I can. Typically though, I'll pull in as close as I can to the gap between two stalls while trying to stay in the lines of one spot; then use the stall on my left.

I don't know what I'd do if I went to busy ones though. I'd feel pretty bad taking up two spots, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do when there aren't other options and you need the juice.

OP
OP

IBeTheBot

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Occupation
IT Management
In my many Tesla supercharger stops I have yet to be at a full Tesla charging bank, but they are usually the ones off the highway with plenty of stalls. I always take the end spot when I can. Typically though, I'll pull in as close as I can to the gap between two stalls while trying to stay in the lines of one spot; then use the stall on my left.

I don't know what I'd do if I went to busy ones though. I'd feel pretty bad taking up two spots, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do when there aren't other options and you need the juice.
Unfortunately in southern California we don't have that luxury, most of ours are pretty full with someone waiting.
Sponsored