• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla Charging Station Cable Length Issues!

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
If there is a SC that is out of order, that may provide a good spot to use as well.
Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I've found that in my MANY times using Superchargers, almost EXCLUSIVELY now, if you go at 'non-prime' times of the day, you'll find few or fewer other vehicles there to worry about...

otherwise, take two spaces and don't worry about it - it's really Tesla's design concern, not yours... Tesla opened up Superchargers for FORD, they knew what the deal was going in.

FordEVr DAD

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 lightning
Occupation
Stock trader
Hey everyone,

How are you all managing the issue of Tesla charging station cables being too short? I often find myself needing to take up two Tesla spots just to get my truck close enough to charge. This became a bigger problem for me over the weekend when several Electrify America chargers were down. I had to go to a Tesla station and ended up waiting for two spots to open up so I could park close enough to plug in the cable.

Would love to hear how others are handling this!

I have been getting the stares from other Tesla Owners when I charge because I take up 2 spots. I can't help it if their darn cord is too short :LOL:

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
Unfortunately in southern California we don't have that luxury, most of ours are pretty full with someone waiting.
I had a feeling you might be in that region. I was just watching Kyle's video on that the other day on his Out of Spec channel. Ironically, being in less EV adopted areas is great because I'm never worried about waiting for a charger; but obviously has the shortcomings of not have plentiful charging locations. Having said that, I almost feel like I wouldn't want to own an EV if I was in an area where I had to wait for both the 15-30min of charging in addition to 15-1hr for one to free up.

Sponsored
OP
OP

IBeTheBot

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Occupation
IT Management
I had a feeling you might be in that region. I was just watching Kyle's video on that the other day on his Out of Spec channel. Ironically, being in less EV adopted areas is great because I'm never worried about waiting for a charger; but obviously has the shortcomings of not have plentiful charging locations. Having said that, I almost feel like I wouldn't want to own an EV if I was in an area where I had to wait for both the 15-30min of charging in addition to 15-1hr for one to free up.
Especially when you're heading out to hunt at 3 AM, and then have to wait even longer for the truck to charge before getting home with the dog—it becomes a hassle. My other option is to buy a hunting rig, though I’m sure my wife will definitely not love that idea!

ChrisInVegas

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
There is a charger I used a couple times in Southern Cal that has the chargers on the side of the parking spot. It was super easy to use, but still took up two chargers. I used a traffic cone to block the parking spot of the charger that wasn't available. I had a Tesla driver come ask me about it. He was super nice and loved that I did that so nobody pulled in and got frustrated.

No Oil HaHa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla Charging Station Cable Length Issues! IMG_6841
Here are some of my Tesla supercharger adventures. As you can see I’ve actually had more trouble with ICE vehicles than Teslas! :crackup:

Piquette

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired
On the road and stopped last night in Batavia, NY. Used the Tesla SC station at 8:45 pm. It’s a big 12 fast charger station, all in a single row on the edge of large shopping center parking lot. Had to park the Lightning perpendicular to the last charger on the left. Fortunately, there was only one other car using a charger, a Tesla that backed into the last spot on the right. Otherwise everything worked perfectly with my Ford adapter.

My other two charging stops yesterday were at Electrify America stations. Both were only 4 charger stations with one charger down, and a line of EVs waiting.

Someday, these companies will figure all this out and our lives will be much easier.

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
I used tesla chargers exclusively after getting my Trailmanor trailer and towing it back home and thankfully the stations I went to were fairly empty when I arrived. The only issue I really had was in the one station that was in a Starbucks parking lot, was a really tight fit with the trailer attached and it took me a long time to get back out of there without hitting anyone. After that I made sure to look at the photos of the stations and pick ones that had a lot more room around them

Sponsored

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
How was your efficiency with it? I love the way they can fold down to reduce drag and fit in a standard garage door.
It's tough to say so far. I've only towed it a couple of times, and my original towing was over a ton of hills and stuff, plus the brakes seem to have been locked up on it. I am guessing that it would be around 1.6-1.7 miles per kw though. If I was smart I would have made sure to turn off the truck before I pulled it this last time, but I had been running the trailer off the truck for multiple hours before I pulled out. I'll make sure to report back when I actually have an idea of the efficiency though (the big part of the reason I wanted it was due to the better efficiency and the fact it can fit in my garage, just barely though)
Sponsored