Tesla Superchargers

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
The reason I asked is that people talk about preconditioning the battery at home before they leave. The only way I know to heat up the battery is by charging it via AC or with regen or fast discharge (accelerating fast).
As I type this, @Maquis beat me to it. I forgot about that precondition option. I don't live in a particularly cold environment so I've never bothered. I hit remote start about 5 min before I leave the house if it's a little chilly (low 40's) but otherwise I'm good.

EDIT: To be clear, the remote start only warms the cabin, not the battery.
Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
To precondition at home while plugged in, you must set a departure time.
@Ford Motor Company please add a Precondition button to the App like the START button for those of us that do not have regular jobs with set schedule but still would like to precondition the battery before departure.

OP
OP
Frankhpns

Frankhpns

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning XLT
Occupation
Retired military
I’ve seen upwards of 160-170kW on my SR at EA “Hyperfast” 350kW chargers. Two things are true:
1) the early spec floating around out there that said the SR could only charge up to 120kW is just wrong. Here’s a recent example where I averaged 165.7kW while adding almost 25kWh in 9min:
1704991335829.jpeg

2) I think the key to high charge speeds is current (amps), not kW rating. Due to the relatively low pack voltage of our Lightnings (low to mid-300V), we need a 500A charger output to be able to reach charge speed nirvana. The math is kW = V x A, so 165kW requires 500A to git ‘er done: 165,000W = 330V x 500A. EA “Hyperfast” 350kW, and Tesla Gen3 Superchargers, are capable of delivering the 500A we need- but the “150kW” chargers are not.
That is positive news. I have not had the opportunity to try a commercial charger yet.
It sounds like you picked up a Level 2 adapter - made for Tesla home, mobile, or destination chargers. I have one to use with my Tesla mobile EVSE (it's a great product) and on the off chance I ever need to use a Tesla destination charger at a hotel or other location.

Not a bad thing to have, though once the Ssupercharger adapter is available, I'll get one of those and only carry it, as it should work at all of the referenced plus Superchargers.
I did pick a Tesla level 2 adapter. To the best of my knowledge the Supercharger adapters are not available yet. As I said originally they will only add more chargers to the network and as one of the members noted more reliability, not faster charging.

Truaz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT-ER
Occupation
IT Engineer
The reason I asked is that people talk about preconditioning the battery at home before they leave. The only way I know to heat up the battery is by charging it via AC or with regen or fast discharge (accelerating fast).

If any of you guys that precondition the battery at home reading this please do share how. I have remote started the truck with the heat on but that did not seem to increase battery temp.

That is not accurate. $0.42 is for members and membership is not free. Their regular price is $0.52 (at least for the magic dock near me)
Sorry, I have 3 charging sessions here in Glendale AZ and it was .47/kwh not .42/kwh (my mistake) and no, I am not a member. It is still less expensive then EVG or EA at non-peak times which is even more expensive.

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Sorry, I have 3 charging sessions here in Glendale AZ and it was .47/kwh not .42/kwh (my mistake) and no, I am not a member. It is still less expensive then EVG or EA at non-peak times which is even more expensive.

Wow. I guess it pays to live in AZ. I see your member rates are $0.35. Sweet.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
I figured that was the case , Maxx , but wasn't sure. 60A being the highest rated listed should have clued me in.
You will also see that the adapter you have is a Tesla to J1772 adapter, which is not CCS. The CCS-1 standard used here is a J1772 connector with two additional pins for high-powered DC fast charging. The adapter you already have is useful for level-2 destination chargers or to use with the Tesla wall connector or Tesla mobile chargers. I use the 60A rated one from Lectron to charge my Lighting at home since we share a Tesla charger between the Lightning and Model Y.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Has anyone got any concrete information on when Ford will give us the tesla charge adapter. I was told by a reputable person that it should be in February.
Sell, not give. Spring 2024, maybe February.

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
from my 39,000+ miles of experience in my LIGHTNING Pro, many of that TOWING our camper, and two previous first-generation 70mile range Nissan LEAFS... having Tesla SUPERCHARGERs as an 'option' in the near future will do ONE main thing: lower range anxiety, or, better yet, CHARGE anxiety.

Even if we CCS vehicles don't use Superchargers, it will be nice to have those as an OPTION for those vast charge deserts where CCS charging is lax, unreliable, or non-existent. We CCS owners already know that our chargers are NOT reliable, NOT always at the speeds they advertise, and many times NOT in convenient or easy locations.
Tesla SUPERCHARGERs tend to also have MANY more units, typically 10-12 in many locations, especially near interstates and highly-used routes. It's rare to see a Supercharger location with less.

I don't see myself using Superchargers often, or rarely, but it will be NICE having them as an option, just in case. Chargepoint is typically reliable, but are either single units, or a set of two, but 'slow' speeds. Electrify America is generally more units per location, yes, but sometimes their installation in the 'main' rows of Walmart, and how their parking is set up, makes it not-so-easy with our big trucks... they are also not as reliable, even though sometimes they are very SPEEDY. EVgo seems to have good service, and has expanded in many locations with various Speed choices, and they also can provide charging to TWO vehicles at once, but don't have near the locations as the top-tier companies, at least not yet. Blink and others are growing, but not yet in enough areas to make them a go-to charger of choice.

The infrastructure is growing, yes, and we are now seeing more and more options - Tesla SUPERCHARGERs will instantly give us MANY MORE very soon.

With this in mind, I noticed today that a Buc-ees' on I75 South of WarnerRobins GEORGIA, and a VERY busy and visited location, has now installed THREE Mercedes branded CHARGEPOINT 'dual' 400kw units, right near the almost-new row of SIXTEEN SUPERCHARGERs. I'm now wondering if they are realizing that these new CCS chargers might not be as big of a 'deal' now that most manufacturers are moving toward NACS, and the soon-to-be-open Tesla Supercharger option. Oh well. It's good to have both, no matter. Mercedes can afford it.
Buccees MERCEDES DCFC 150kw shared.jpg
Any idea if this open to us?

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
from my 39,000+ miles of experience in my LIGHTNING Pro, many of that TOWING our camper, and two previous first-generation 70mile range Nissan LEAFS... having Tesla SUPERCHARGERs as an 'option' in the near future will do ONE main thing: lower range anxiety, or, better yet, CHARGE anxiety.
Charge anxiety is the real deal it seems. I don't have range anxiety, I can see the chargers and plan my trips. it's the "will the charger work when I get there?". And checking on PlugShare or in the EA app doesn't always give valid info.

Sponsored

Buio

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Mode YP 2023 I. silver lightning LR ER
Occupation
cabinets
You will also see that the adapter you have is a Tesla to J1772 adapter, which is not CCS. The CCS-1 standard used here is a J1772 connector with two additional pins for high-powered DC fast charging. The adapter you already have is useful for level-2 destination chargers or to use with the Tesla wall connector or Tesla mobile chargers. I use the 60A rated one from Lectron to charge my Lighting at home since we share a Tesla charger between the Lightning and Model Y.
I actually cancelled the order & will wait for the other adapter to become available.
I actually had to do the opposite when we bought our model Y , bought a Tesla adaptor for a J1772 charger because for some reason our electric company gave $250 credits for purchasing only certain brands of chargers & Teslas were not one of them .

deserthi

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Tech
I had bought these buttons (called S3XY buttons) buy a company that one could program different functions in my Tesla. One option was to precondition the battery. Sure would be nice if they made that same setup for our trucks. I already emailed the company (Enhance) telling them we lightning owners need a way to manually pre condition our batteries.

Buio

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Mode YP 2023 I. silver lightning LR ER
Occupation
cabinets
I had bought these buttons (called S3XY buttons) buy a company that one could program different functions in my Tesla. One option was to precondition the battery. Sure would be nice if they made that same setup for our trucks. I already emailed the company (Enhance) telling them we lightning owners need a way to manually pre condition our batteries.
That's funny I just installed the same item ( YESLAK ) in our Model Y , yesterday. I mostly bought it for being able to open the passenger doors. How Tesla didn't incorporate the ability to unlock from the drivers seat is beyond me. I didn't realize it at time of purchase , and it was actually over a month into ownership before I realized one had to REACH to open passenger door. brutal.

jpblincoln

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I received the production version of the A2Z Typhoon adapter. Now I’m waiting on Tesla and the Blue Oval charge network to activate.
Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla Superchargers IMG_3703
Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla Superchargers IMG_3704
Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla Superchargers IMG_3705
Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla Superchargers IMG_3706

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
I received the production version of the A2Z Typhoon adapter. Now I’m waiting on Tesla and the Blue Oval charge network to activate.
IMG_3703.jpeg
IMG_3704.jpeg
IMG_3705.jpeg
IMG_3706.jpeg
I got a ting of excitement when I saw your post. Now Tesla has no excuse for not opening up their network.
Sponsored

Reactions: dww