• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Will New Tesla Superchargers have Magic Docks?

bosox8

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 Iced Blue Silver Lariat ER, 2nd Wave
Occupation
Sales
Only a certain % of Tesla Superchargers were going to get the Magic Dock option.
Now that Ford, GM, and others are going to adopt the NACS plug, I am going to guess it will slow down the roll out of Magic Dock locations.

PS I used a Magic Dock two days ago in New York State. The cord is too short for the Lightning. Even if you put your front bumper right up against the bollards. I did use it...but had to park sideways and block a couple of other chargers. Fortunately there were 12 chargers at that location and only 1 was in use (by a Tesla).

The best solution will be when you get your Tesla plug adaptor sometime in the spring. Then you will be able to use most Tesla locations.
Any chance this was in Brewster? Planning a charge there tomorrow.

bosox8

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 Iced Blue Silver Lariat ER, 2nd Wave
Occupation
Sales
I was in Batavia, NY
They have several in a shopping center parking lot.
Thanks...tomorrow my journey to the base of Mt. Katahdin from Frederick, MD begins going up thru Allentown and across the Tappan Zee...to say I'm anxious about what I'll find in the way of chargers working and their speeds would be an understatement.

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Thanks...tomorrow my journey to the base of Mt. Katahdin from Frederick, MD begins going up thru Allentown and across the Tappan Zee...to say I'm anxious about what I'll find in the way of chargers working and their speeds would be an understatement.
My drives from the DC area to the Niagara Falls area only has two/three choices.
One is in Pennsylvania, and then in New York State it is either Bath, NY or now this new Tesla Magic Dock.
However, making it to Batavia (Tesla MagicDock location) is a major stretch, so I have to stop in Bath.

There is no other chargers on my route.

Sponsored

WRSNH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Brewster has one pylon on the far left that is positioned so a Lightning can pull alongside it. I had no issues charging there last month. As I recall it was about $0.50/kWh.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER

Ffxdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
Any chance this was in Brewster? Planning a charge there tomorrow.
Brewster has one pylon on the far left that is positioned so a Lightning can pull alongside it. I had no issues charging there last month. As I recall it was about $0.50/kWh.
Yep use the one all the way on the right away from the others and you wonā€™t have issue. Stall 1A.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
I thought TX had to charge by the min?
They do unless you are a Retail Electric Provider registered with the PUCT which Tesla did in November 2021. AFAIK, none of the other providers like EA have done this.
Also, in checking the Tesla app, the TX and KY stations are not showing up (CA and NY still are). Maybe they are still in testing phase?? I would check @GDN and @LUXMAN before driving over.

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
They do unless you are a Retail Electric Provider registered with the PUCT which Tesla did in November 2021. AFAIK, none of the other providers like EA have done this.
Also, in checking the Tesla app, the TX and KY stations are not showing up (CA and NY still are). Maybe they are still in testing phase?? I would check @GDN and @LUXMAN before driving over.
Thanks for the heads up, but the one in the DFW area is real. Electrek has a story, several tweets and the local Tesla FB group has multiple posts and videos from the SC showing the Magic Docks in use, one with a Lightning Platinum that they were testing with.

It is reported that at 50% SOC they were pulling 130kW and at 65% SOC pulling 93kW. Seems to be a bit of an early taper.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Thanks for the heads up, but the one in the DFW area is real. Electrek has a story, several tweets and the local Tesla FB group has multiple posts and videos from the SC showing the Magic Docks in use, one with a Lightning Platinum that they were testing with.

It is reported that at 50% SOC they were pulling 130kW and at 65% SOC pulling 93kW. Seems to be a bit of an early taper.
Oh I believe itā€™s real, but I canā€™t choose it in their app under the ā€œCharge your Non-Teslaā€ section. If you canā€™t choose it then you canā€™t unlock the dock. I understand you have a Tesla so maybe you can see it. But for those of us without a Tesla, itā€™s not showing up like the ones in NY and CA. There it allows to me to enter a stall number and unlock.

EDIT: Just checked again and itā€™s there. Shows 0 stalls available and a 10 minute wait. Will check again tomorrow.

EDIT 2: Checked this morning and still shows 0 stalls available. Must be how they are keeping it from being used by non-Teslas for the time being. If I click charge here all 16 stalls are greyed out and I canā€™t choose one to unlock.

Ford F-150 Lightning Will New Tesla Superchargers have Magic Docks? 20230804_122831000_iOS (Small)

Last edited:

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Oh I believe itā€™s real, but I canā€™t choose it in their app under the ā€œCharge your Non-Teslaā€ section. If you canā€™t choose it then you canā€™t unlock the dock. I understand you have a Tesla so maybe you can see it. But for those of us without a Tesla, itā€™s not showing up like the ones in NY and CA. There it allows to me to enter a stall number and unlock.

EDIT: Just checked again and itā€™s there. Shows 0 stalls available and a 10 minute wait. Will check again tomorrow.

EDIT 2: Checked this morning and still shows 0 stalls available. Must be how they are keeping it from being used by non-Teslas for the time being. If I click charge here all 16 stalls are greyed out and I canā€™t choose one to unlock.

View attachment 70727
Correct - I do have a Tesla, but I have the two different screens, one for normal Tesla charging and then the "Charge your non-Tesla". Your screen shot is accurate for both situations right now. The first day it was up and reported by @LUXMAN - it had people charging at it and showed a charger available count.

It does appear offline for now. Hoping they get it operational soon.

For quick reference - what I see for the Tesla and then what I see for the "Non-Tesla" all in the same app.

Ford F-150 Lightning Will New Tesla Superchargers have Magic Docks? IMG_4505.PNG

Ford F-150 Lightning Will New Tesla Superchargers have Magic Docks? IMG_4506.PNG

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

LUXMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning PRO and XLT
Occupation
Pilot
Well looking in my Model 3, they seem to have shut the station down. Hopefully one of the CCS cars didnā€™t pop the breaker šŸ˜œ
Ford F-150 Lightning Will New Tesla Superchargers have Magic Docks? 71287897804__3514C6EC-50B8-4B07-9E6F-5507657CDC32

Reactions: GDN

LUXMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning PRO and XLT
Occupation
Pilot
And from plug share
Ford F-150 Lightning Will New Tesla Superchargers have Magic Docks? IMG_5237
Sponsored