Top battery off to 90% every day?

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
If I'm understanding correctly you are suggesting that I've been reading the charts wrong this entire time. When a test (as MickeyAO would say) only uses a delta of 50% that is not considered a charge cycle. It actually means you get 6-8000 X the full capacity of the battery.

My typical trips are 50 miles, 76 miles, 90 miles, 110 miles, with a 10-15% of them being 250 miles or longer. So I should total all of those trips up and divide it by the capacity of the battery. A rough calculation of this would be 101,000 miles divide by 2.1 m/kwh = 48,095kwh/ 145kwh capacity = 331 complete charge cycles. That is interesting.

My battery should last at least a million miles.
Exactly, I will always differ to MickeyAO on things like this, but I think it's the fact you're getting all your miles in on a battery that's still rather "young" is probably playing into that million mile possibility. Also, the thermal management of this battery seems to be really great, gives me a lot of confidence in the long term viability of this truck.
Sponsored

Helium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning
Saw a research paper that showed NMC batteries, on average, hit 85% of original capacity around 2000 cycles. Where did you see information about 6-8000 cycles?
The last one I saw was from a Canadian university. Also, I use 70% as "end of life" not 85%

The 6-8000 charge cycles came from only discharging from something like 75% down to 25% each time. The 6-8000 charge cycles is a complete charge and discharge of the entire battery. if that makes sense. I discussed this further up this thread with @invertedspear here:

https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/top-battery-off-to-90-every-day.17738/post-387322

and here:

https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/top-battery-off-to-90-every-day.17738/post-387341

Last edited:

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
The last one I saw was from a Canadian university. Also, I use 70% as "end of life" not 85%
Quick search doesn't reveal many results that detail how they determine lifespan, most only quote to 80-85%. I certainly won't complain if they make it that many cycles, like you I'm just hoping to get ~300,000 miles.

Helium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning
Quick search doesn't reveal many results that detail how they determine lifespan, most only quote to 80-85%. I certainly won't complain if they make it that many cycles, like you I'm just hoping to get ~300,000 miles.
I generally follow the warranty which is 70% at 100,000 miles.

Helium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning

Just want you to know that I stumbled across the Youtube video where I got the 70-30% charge range. There are two of them but they are both with Dr. Jeff Dahn from Dallhousie University.

This link with the time code should get you to the chart I was looking for:

Sponsored

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Take Dr Dahn's advice over ANYTHING I might say! I will probably go with my observations over Dr Dahn, but he has MUCH better knowledge than I do.

I do the 85% of usable SOC to handle anything that might come up.

Helium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning
Take Dr Dahn's advice over ANYTHING I might say! I will probably go with my observations over Dr Dahn, but he has MUCH better knowledge than I do.

By chance do you know what the chemistry\cell designation (i.e. NMC622) in the Lightning is? I've found press releases from years ago about a Nickel 9 battery but nothing that points directly at the designation.

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder

I can't remember if you said before, is this 85% displayed SOC or 85% actual SOC?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

Sponsored

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
There have been a lot of posts on the forum in various threads proclaiming that the manual recommends charging to 90% SOC, so that's what I'm going to do every day... Some of us pointed out that Ford has marketing reasons to limit range anxiety, etc., for making that recommendation. I've even pointed out a State of Charge YouTube video with Tom Moloughney where Darren Palmer, Vice President of Ford's Electric Vehicle Program, said that suggestion was made to wean owners away from their average proclivity to charge to 100% every day.

At any rate, today I came across a Ford website Healthy Battery Habits page. The noteworthy thing about the page is it emphasizes staying ANYWHERE between 20% and 90% SOC where practical and sticking with, at most, level 2 AC chargers, again, where practical, as much as possible.

https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/more-vehicle-topics/batteries/healthy-battery-habits/

As before, if you're planning on trading in your vehicle in a couple of years, what's to matter except maybe a ding in trade-in value if your battery SOH isn't so great. But if you plan on keeping your vehicle for a long time and want to retain the most capacity at high speed and in cold weather, a penny saved is a penny earned...

Traconesu

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning platinum
Occupation
Retired
Hi folk. This forum has been VERY useful. I finally got my truck last Saturday. I work about 3 miles from my home and some days may only travel 10-15 miles.

My question is this: for the health of the battery should I run it down to say, 25% over several days, or plug it in every night? Or does it matter?

Thanks in advance.
I've been charging off my home solar system, so I plug in whenever I have excess solar power. Sometimes it takes several days of charging to get to my set 85%. I seldom discharge to less than 50%.

Traconesu

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning platinum
Occupation
Retired
Hi folk. This forum has been VERY useful. I finally got my truck last Saturday. I work about 3 miles from my home and some days may only travel 10-15 miles.

My question is this: for the health of the battery should I run it down to say, 25% over several days, or plug it in every night? Or does it matter?

Thanks in advance.
When I first got my lightning platinum in 2022 they told me to only charge it to 80% unless I was going on a trip then charge to 100%. I was having trouble getting my ota updates so they told me to start charging to 85%. Lately I've been seeing charge to 90% for best battery life. Lately I've been charging my truck with my solar system and to just 85% , but I can only charge on days that have full sun all day long so sometimes it takes several days to get my truck charged to 85%. I guess I'll have to change my setting to 90%. Close to an entire month now without using any grid energy to charge my truck.
Sponsored