• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Towing Over 5000lbs Capacity (7000lbs Camper)

lister coggs

First Name
Lister
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SR
Hey all -

I rented a 6500-7000lb trailer for a camping trip for a few days. I planned to tow it about 80 miles to a campsite with my Lariat SR (no max tow). It will be over flat terrain, about 86 degrees F.

Given my vehicle tow max rating is 5000lbs, is there anything I should look out for? From forum scanning, I understand the vehicle is structurally rated for a 10,000lbs towing capacity and the max tow upgrade to 7700lbs capacity for the SR is simply an extra cooling loop for towing while in extreme conditions (high heat, steep inclines).

Is this highly dangerous? Or is my biggest worry the vehicle saying it's overheating and having to stop every 10 miles?

I was considering hooking up an OBD scanner to monitor temperatures since it seems like overheating is the main concern.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Bigred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning XLT ER
Do you have a trailer brake controller installed?

You are going to pull approx. 20-50% more than the rated capacity. Not sure I would try that. Also, I would be concerned about insurance coverage if I had an accident while doing this.

OP
OP

lister coggs

First Name
Lister
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SR
Do you have a trailer brake controller installed?

You are going to pull approx. 20-50% more than the rated capacity. Not sure I would try that. Also, I would be concerned about insurance coverage if I had an accident while doing this.
Yeah, I have tow-tech, so it has the brake controller. Good call on insurance coverage becoming invalid. That's a very big con.

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
Yeah, I have tow-tech, so it has the brake controller. Good call on insurance coverage becoming invalid. That's a very big con.
No it’s not because it’s not true. You can become criminally reckless by drinking and driving, and your insurance company will STILL pay the bill. Towing over the manufacturer recommendation for towing capacity is a far cry from that.

Don’t take my word for it. Call your insurance agent and ask if you don’t believe me.

I posted some more detailed thoughts in another thread about this subject, but the bottom line is you’ll be fine. Trailer brakes are the most important thing, and you want to avoid going over tongue and axle weight ratings.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
You are using a weight distribution hitch, right?

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I don't think you will have any issues. Max tow only really adds a cooling circuit for the battery... The battery management will limit the output if necessary to protect the battery, so you will be fine.
Max Tow actually isolates the Cabin cooling loop from the Battery and Motor cooling. It doesn't add more cooling capacity to the Battery and Motor, just makes the current cooling loop more efficient. The "circuits" don't change, just an extra compressor that only runs the cabin climate versus sharing that loop with the Battery and Motor.

OP
OP

lister coggs

First Name
Lister
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SR
Max Tow actually isolates the Cabin cooling loop from the Battery and Motor cooling. It doesn't add more cooling capacity to the Battery and Motor, just makes the current cooling loop more efficient. The "circuits" don't change, just an extra compressor that only runs the cabin climate versus sharing that loop with the Battery and Motor.
Interesting. Is there any documentation I can further research regarding this?

So essentially if you leave the AC off, then the cooling for the batteries is the same between SR with / without max tow?

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER

So essentially if you leave the AC off, then the cooling for the batteries is the same between SR with / without max tow?
I would imagine it would be similar, in theory. However, the loop is still bigger even if there is no draw from the climate.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
You may want to forego the A/C when towing so as to maximize range as well (depending on your heat tolerance and local climate).

Sponsored
OP
OP

lister coggs

First Name
Lister
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SR
I would imagine it would be similar, in theory. However, the loop is still bigger even if there is no draw from the climate.
Gotcha! If it's just another compressor, it would be great if "max tow" could be added aftermarket, or by Ford to increase the tow rating.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
none of these trucks require anything more to tow 10,000lbs versus towing 100lbs... the truck, 'structurally', and 'suspension' wise, are exactly the same.
A larger ER battery does not change that.
A 'Max Tow' Cooling loop does not change that.

The REAL question is only a matter of HEAT.

Heat is the enemy, in this case, of the BATTERY, while towing a heavy load, especially if in steep terrain and in HIGH HEAT situations - it is really NOT impacted any differently by the WEIGHT, itself.

No adding of any additional hardware will change this.
Also, no authority is going to stop and pull you over 'just because' you are a SR battery and towing more than 7,700 lbs, etc... it's just not reality. Your brakes are also just the same whether you are a SR or an ER or a PRO or a Platinum.

FORD's limitations are about preserving the integrity of the BATTERY, long term wise... it's nothing to do with towing power or transmission or braking, etc.

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER

I’ve towed over 8,000 miles with mine, including two trips across the country with my small camper. I monitor my temperatures with an OBD scanner because I’m a huge nerd. It’s very difficult to get the battery to actively cool. The compressor does nothing for the battery until it gets above 94º F, and I’ve never seen that unless I’m DC fast charging. That includes towing my 5,500 lb boat 140 miles on the highway in 82º weather.

That may change in warmer weather, but my truck doesn’t seem to care about battery temp until it gets HOT. I’ve never been power limited, either, even towing my camper into south Texas at 90º. These things are built to protect themselves, so you’ll see elevated gauges and reduced power long before you hurt anything.

I agree with just about everything @hturnerfamily mentioned above, but I think your truck would stop you from getting the battery too hot. You could hook your truck to a locomotive and it would reduce power and quit long before you hurt it.

OP
OP

lister coggs

First Name
Lister
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SR
none of these trucks require anything more to tow 10,000lbs versus towing 100lbs... the truck, 'structurally', and 'suspension' wise, are exactly the same.
A larger ER battery does not change that.
A 'Max Tow' Cooling loop does not change that.

The REAL question is only a matter of HEAT.

Heat is the enemy, in this case, of the BATTERY, while towing a heavy load, especially if in steep terrain and in HIGH HEAT situations - it is really NOT impacted any differently by the WEIGHT, itself.

No adding of any additional hardware will change this.
Also, no authority is going to stop and pull you over 'just because' you are a SR battery and towing more than 7,700 lbs, etc... it's just not reality. Your brakes are also just the same whether you are a SR or an ER or a PRO or a Platinum.

FORD's limitations are about preserving the integrity of the BATTERY, long term wise... it's nothing to do with towing power or transmission or braking, etc.
Thanks for this. That's what I deduced as well.

Another high heat scenario I presume is if the battery is DC Fast charged while towing, so I'll watch out for that too.

When I get the camper I'll do some tests and report back to this thread.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired