• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Unused 30 Amp Dryer Breaker/Circuit For EV Charging

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I have a 50 amp breaker on order, would a 60 amp be a wiser choice? The wiring will be 6 gauge on the hots and neutral, with a 10 gauge ground.
For the moment, you're planning to use the FMC with the 14-50 adapter plug, stay with the 50.

IF, you eventually plan to go to a 48 amp EVSE, that will need hard wiring and the 60 amp breaker with correctly sized wiring.

Given the very short run.............

Ford F-150 Lightning Unused 30 Amp Dryer Breaker/Circuit For EV Charging 1727192064896-xs
Sponsored

Last edited:

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
The proposed receptacle location inside my garage is literally back to back with my service box.
That definately makes the conduit a reasonable option.

In our case, the panel was on the other side of the wall from the garage in the basement, but about 8' further in the garage than where the EVSE was to be located.

When I got my Focus Electric almost seven years ago, I installed its EVSE on the south (right) side of the garage near the door. This was so it could reach when the car was in the garage or outside. That wall was unfinished and there's a sub panel on that side at the back that serves the garage and all outside outlets.

For the Lightning, parking in the garage is not an option, but the EVSE was to be located opposite the other on the north (left) side. The location of the main panel was ideal for this:
Ford F-150 Lightning Unused 30 Amp Dryer Breaker/Circuit For EV Charging 1000007141

flux capacitor

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
I replace my 30 amp dryer breaker with a 40 amp breaker years ago when I bought a 32 amp EV charger from Home Depot. I replaced the 40 amp breaker with a 100 amp breaker when I installed the 80 amp charger that came with my Lightning. I only have a 150 amp main breaker but haven’t had any trouble with the circuits tripping even on hot days with the air conditioning compressors kicking on and off.

Only thing I can suggest is to try to understand your electrical system, try to figure out what loads are actually going to the electrical system at the same time and don’t assume the size of the breaker is the load. Remember there is a reason we have breakers. Tripping a breaker once in while may be a nusance but it doesn’t hurt your electrical system.
I hope you upgraded the wire size. 30a is like 10ga, 40a 8ga and for 100a is #2 AWG and you might get away with #4 AWG if less then 50ft. If all you did is replace breakers you have a fire hazard.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
I can put a 50 amp breaker in place of the 30 and run 6 gauge wiring easy enough. I'm going to disconnect the dryer wiring, tag it and move it out of the way for now. The run from the breaker location through the back of my service box to the planned location of the garage wall receptacle is only 2-3'. I'm just not sure that's the best thing to do.
One thing I didn’t see anyone address in this thread is the limitations of the Ford mobile charge cord. To put it bluntly, it’s crap. It’s occasionally flakey, many people have experienced short lifespans with it and it only charges at 30A even though it connects to a 50A breaker, which means you could use a charger that would output 240V at 40A instead.

I would recommend having an electrician look at it all, just to be sure you’re not missing something. And my installation recommendation would be to install a 60 AMP breaker, if you have enough overhead to support it, then install a good wall-mount charger like the Tesla Universal Charger or the ChargePoint Home Flex, Wallbox, Emporia, Grizzl-e, etc.. that will support a 60A circuit and charging at 48 Amps. That is your best all around solution.

Next step down would be to do the 50A breaker and circuit as you have been discussing. Direct-wire one of the above mentioned chargers. Or install a COMMERCIAL RATED 14-50 receptacle, not the $9 Leviton from Home Depot. And get yourself a good mobile charge cord that supports 40A output — *TESLA CORDED MOBILE CONNECTOR* is the same as their UMC, but hard-wired with a 14-50 connector and outputs 40A, you’ll need a NACS to J1772 adapter rated for 50A+. Or there are others out there with the J1772 connector on them. Use the Ford charge cord (rebranded Webasto unit) until you find what you’re looking for and then keep as a spare.

Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
The Ford charger runs at 80 amps but requires a 100 amp breaker and 3 AWG wire. I ran 70 feet and it got expensive but for few feet, the cost wouldn't be too bad.
Specifically that is the Ford Charge Station Pro and the new Charger Pro that became available a few months ago. Way to confuse things, Ford. Don’t get it confused with the Ford Pro Wall Charger which supports a 60A circuit. And if you have a 2024 or 2025 Lightning, you’re limited to charging at 48A on 240V anyway

OP
OP

StevenC56

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Platinum
Occupation
Retired
One thing I didn’t see anyone address in this thread is the limitations of the Ford mobile charge cord. To put it bluntly, it’s crap. It’s occasionally flakey, many people have experienced short lifespans with it and it only charges at 30A even though it connects to a 50A breaker, which means you could use a charger that would output 240V at 40A instead.

I would recommend having an electrician look at it all, just to be sure you’re not missing something. And my installation recommendation would be to install a 60 AMP breaker, if you have enough overhead to support it, then install a good wall-mount charger like the Tesla Universal Charger or the ChargePoint Home Flex, Wallbox, Emporia, Grizzl-e, etc.. that will support a 60A circuit and charging at 48 Amps. That is your best all around solution.

Next step down would be to do the 50A breaker and circuit as you have been discussing. Direct-wire one of the above mentioned chargers. Or install a COMMERCIAL RATED 14-50 receptacle, not the $9 Leviton from Home Depot. And get yourself a good mobile charge cord that supports 40A output — *TESLA CORDED MOBILE CONNECTOR* is the same as their UMC, but hard-wired with a 14-50 connector and outputs 40A, you’ll need a NACS to J1772 adapter rated for 50A+. Or there are others out there with the J1772 connector on them. Use the Ford charge cord (rebranded Webasto unit) until you find what you’re looking for and then keep as a spare.
I got the HD $39 Leviton receptacle at Home Depot.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I have a 50 amp breaker on order, would a 60 amp be a wiser choice? The wiring will be 6 gauge on the hots and neutral, with a 10 gauge ground.

Edit: I should probably just stick with the 50 amp breaker from what I'm reading. 6 gauge wire on a 60 amp breaker would probably be ok for my short run, but for anything longer 4 gauge would be preferred.
6 gauge is fine (recommended) for a 60A circuit, provided it is THHN or THWN in MC or EMT (metal cladding or conduit). If you’re running 6 gauge NM-B or similar, which is normal for a 50A receptacle, then no, it’s not thermally rated for 60A charging circuit. Probably would be fine at that short run, but technically not right.

Do not install a 60A breaker if you’re going to install the 50A receptacle as you will be oversizing your circuit For your load.

OP
OP

StevenC56

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Platinum
Occupation
Retired
6 gauge is fine (recommended) for a 60A circuit, provided it is THHN or THWN in MC or EMT (metal cladding or conduit). If you’re running 6 gauge NM-B or similar, which is normal for a 50A receptacle, then no, it’s not thermally rated for 60A charging circuit. Probably would be fine at that short run, but technically not right.

Do not install a 60A breaker if you’re going to install the 50A receptacle as you will be oversizing your circuit For your load.
THHN THWN 6 gauge hots and neutral, 10 gauge ground and a Leviton 1450R-BO 50 amp HD receptacle. The run from The Square D breaker to the receptacle is going to be less than 2 feet. Nothing has been installed yet, so I can change up if needed.
Sponsored