• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Unused 30 Amp Dryer Breaker/Circuit For EV Charging

StevenC56

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Platinum
Occupation
Retired
I have my 2024 Lariat on order as of today, and I'm trying to figure out the charging situation at my house. We have a gas clothes dryer, so the 30A 220/240 breaker and circuit are unused. My main service is on the outside wall of my garage, so it's easy peasy getting wires pulled through to a receptacle on the inside of the garage, disconnecting the dryer wiring from the breaker and connecting the new receptacle to the existing 30 amp dryer breaker.. My Lariat comes with the Ford Mobile charger so I had originally thought I could just use the dryer breaker and run the wiring into the garage wall to a receptacle, but now I'm reading that the Ford Mobile charger will only work properly with a 50 amp 220/240 circuit. I have 2 solar systems on my house and the main service has been downgraded twice, so I think what I now have is a maxed out main service box. I hear an upgrade would cost way more than I want to spend. Any suggestions? Do I need to get a non-Ford charger that can be adjusted for a 30 amp circuit?
Sponsored

Tfarrell73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23Lightning Lariat ER in production, 17 GMC Sierra
You can only charge at 24 amps on a 30 amp circuit. You'll need an adjustable EVSE to set appropriate current. The Ford mobile charger doesn't adjust

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
A competent electrician can update the 30 amp breaker to 50 amp remove the unused dryer wiring and install new wiring to the garage with a 14-50 commercial/industrial grade outlet.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
A competent electrician can update the 30 amp breaker to 50 amp remove the unused dryer wiring and install new wiring to the garage with a 14-50 commercial/industrial grade outlet.
100%. You just spent a ton on your truck. It's worth investing in its fuel source infrastructure.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
if it's easiest to use the existing 30amp 10awg wiring, and the same 240v 30amp breaker, then get a $150-$200 ADJUSTable 240v EVSE that you can dial down easily to 20-24 amps... probably a LOT cheaper, and much less 'trouble', than re-wiring:

to use your Ford MOBILE EVSE, on it's 240v adapter, though, you'll need to rewire the system with 8 or 6awg wiring on a 40 or 50amp 240v breaker set... pulling the new LARGER wiring is generally the issue, or the hardest part. Your EVSE wont need the NEUTRAL wire, but likely, it's best to wire it in anyway. My camper uses a 240v 50amp outlet just like this, but DOES need the Neutral.

Sponsored

Old Aviator

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Platinum 06 Magnum SRT8 23 Ocean One
Occupation
Consultant
I use my portable on a dryer plug all the time. I have checked the plug often and checked the plug often to see if there was any heating or problem. Now as to charging amps I am not certain since I’m never in a hurry and have days to recover. It almost seems the portable self regulates but then?

OP
OP

StevenC56

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Platinum
Occupation
Retired
Except you missed the part of my post where I say my Main box is already maxed out. And upgrading the main would be really expensive from what I've read.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Except you missed the part of my post where I say my Main box is already maxed out. And upgrading the main would be really expensive from what I've read.
He didn't miss it. I did what he said. Electrician removed the 30 amp breaker on the panel (didn't replace the panel)installed 50 Amp breaker at the same spot and upgraded to higher gauge wiring for $700. He had several people doing this. There was no way I could handle dealing with that wire and do it right. My house is old (only 100 Amp service) but the NEMA 14-50 plug came handy; I started using Ford charger until it died. Since I had the plug (vs direct wiring to charger for a few more amps), I just bought a new charger and plugged it in and set it for 30 Amp again. Very easy. No electrician required.

On my Vacation property with 80 Amp service, I plug into dryer with 24 Amp draw. I don't go there too often which is why I don't have a permanent setup yet.

You probably could getaway with putting a dryer plug in with an adapter using your current breaker but I wouldn't plug and unplug anything on daily bases. If you do that leave the 24 Amp charger plugged in.

Last edited:

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
In that case, you could probably utilize the current equipment, but I'd recommend getting an electrician to look over it. Also, might be worth considering refreshing the outlet with a high quality outlet designed for EV usage/needs [EVSE can pull (up to) constant max current and you are plugging/unplugging more frequently].

Getting an electrician to look over your system/wiring, and give you a thumbs up or recommendation, now, could save you from major problems in the future.

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
Yes you will need a different EVSE that can be adjusted to 24 amps. The Ford mobile one isn't very good anyway so this is a blessing in disguise.

Sponsored
OP
OP

StevenC56

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Platinum
Occupation
Retired
He didn't miss it. I did what he said. Electrician removed the 30 amp breaker on the panel (didn't replace the panel) for $700. My house is old (100 Amp) but 50 plug is handy. I started using Ford charger until it died. Since I had the plug, I just bought a new charger and plugged it in and set it for 30 Amp again.plugged in the charger and set it for 30 Amp.

On my Vacation property with 80 Amp service, I plug into dryer with 24 Amp draw. I don't go there too often which is why I don't have a permanent setup yet.

You probably could getaway with putting a dryer plug in with an adapter using your current breaker but I wouldn't plug and unplug anything on daily bases. If you do that leave the 24 Amp charger plugged in.
I can put a 50 amp breaker in place of the 30 and run 6 gauge wiring easy enough. I'm going to disconnect the dryer wiring, tag it and move it out of the way for now. The run from the breaker location through the back of my service box to the planned location of the garage wall receptacle is only 2-3'. I'm just not sure that's the best thing to do.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I can put a 50 amp breaker in place of the 30 and run 6 gauge wiring easy enough. I'm going to disconnect the dryer wiring, tag it and move it out of the way for now. The run from the breaker location through the back of my service box to the planned location of the garage wall receptacle is only 2-3'. I'm just not sure that's the best thing to do.
Go that route. The extra 16a will be useful for that 131kW battery.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Electrically there is no change to the "Capacity" of your load center one way or the other, IMHO, upgrading the wire & breaker makes it safer, simple as that, it's putting no more load on your mains than running it through the old dryer circuit, which I have GREAT reservations of you doing that regardless of other folks opinions that it's ok for them, IMHO it's not ok to stress the dryer circuit.

21st Century Truck

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 150 Lightning 2023 XLT ER pkg. 312A
Based on Your situation, I'd just hard-wire a good solid EVSE with thicker-gage wiring and avoid receptacles. I swear by my outdoor Canadian Grizzl-E.

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
I replace my 30 amp dryer breaker with a 40 amp breaker years ago when I bought a 32 amp EV charger from Home Depot. I replaced the 40 amp breaker with a 100 amp breaker when I installed the 80 amp charger that came with my Lightning. I only have a 150 amp main breaker but haven’t had any trouble with the circuits tripping even on hot days with the air conditioning compressors kicking on and off.

Only thing I can suggest is to try to understand your electrical system, try to figure out what loads are actually going to the electrical system at the same time and don’t assume the size of the breaker is the load. Remember there is a reason we have breakers. Tripping a breaker once in while may be a nusance but it doesn’t hurt your electrical system.
Sponsored