Sponsored

Unused 50 Amp breaker going to old 3 prong dryer plug - swap with NEMA 14-50 outlet?

TheBertShow

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR PB
Getting my '23 Lightning today. Beyond excited, but a little inexperienced in electrical work...

Being a 23 it comes with the Ford Charge Station Pro of course, but with the mobile power cord, I need to have something more efficient than a 120v plug with the mobile power cord until the FCSP arrives.

I have an older 3 prong dryer plug outlet in my garage where the washer/dryer when my house was first built in the 80's. Previous owners added on to the house (with a new electrical panel separate from the original one), and washer/dryer is now in the added-on part of the house. There is a 50 amp breaker in the original panel, and I'm almost certain that the 3 prong outlet is connected to this breaker.

I am going to have an electrician come look at it, but if I'm correct that the 50 amp breaker is connected to the 3 prong outlet, is it a simple swap-out and plug-and-play for a 14-50 outlet?
Sponsored

mrau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat⚡ER, VW ID4
Likely the 3 prong outlet does not have a neutral wire running to it. Not really a problem since an EVSE does not use the neutral wire. If the wire and breaker are both rated for 50 amp, then a 6-50 outlet could be easily installed in place of the dryer outlet. The 6-50 is like the 14-50 only it has 3 prongs instead of 4.

Some folks have used a 14-50 on a 3 wire circuit and then label the outlet with "No Neutral Wire". Likely not code but should work fine.

Scrappy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If your wiring is 6 AWG you may want to consider doing a direct wire to your FCSP. You might even be able to bump up the breaker to 60 amps and charge at 48 amps (20% faster).

Mach Turtle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E, 2024 XLT
Occupation
Bum
Depending on your level of patience, you could consider a 16-20 amp charger that uses the old 3-prong connector as a temporary solution. When I visit family who live about 70% charge away from my home, I plug into their NEMA 10-30 dryer socket with a cheapo 16 amp charging cable. Takes nearly all day and night to charge back up (about 19-20 hours), but it does the job.
Sponsored