Sponsored

What is your SOH? Milage? and how do you use your Battery?

OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
so the conclusion is SOH reading is complete voodoo? just like getting OTA updates?
Yes but just because it is VooDoo full of DooDoo, it does not mean we can not figure it out.
Sponsored

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
So.. I drive easy. Charge at home at about 9 KW, 1 am to 6 am so battery cools down 4-5 hours before charging. Always precondition. My 45 mile drive takes 55-60 minutes due to winding rural roads. DCFC rare. Couple times a year. Can’t quite charge every other day.

Our Mach E has 55K miles and is 93% state of health.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So.. I drive easy. Charge at home at about 9 KW, 1 am to 6 am so battery cools down 4-5 hours before charging. Always precondition. My 45 mile drive takes 45 minutes due to winding rural roads. DCFC rare. Couple times a year. Can’t quite charge every other day.

Our Mach E has 55K miles and is 93% state of health.
Very helpful.

Thank you for sharing.

Alexsouthcleveland

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 lightning Lariat ER
I’m at 100% SOH just passed 40k miles in 18 months. About 4 months ago car scanner said 99% SOH but now it’s reading 100%. Don’t think it’s completely accurate. When I charge to 100% which I have to once a week it says I have 126 KHW usable. So that’s 5 kWh or around 4% in 40k. Used to always just go to 80% and recharge every other day now I have to do a 100% once a week as one day I drive 250+ miles. I’ve never gotten more than 250 miles on a charge even trying to baby it and drive real slow. But normally I drive the truck as I want to. If worrying about it all the times makes a couple percent difference in battery health in 6 years who cares. You won’t even notice that. Leave the charging level set to 70-80 like I do plug it up every day then if you ever think you’ll need it bump it up to 100%. 100% is really only 95% or so so no sweat. That being said I will be paying on this truck until it has 150k miles so I want it to last but I’m confident it will.

Ford F-150 Lightning What is your SOH? Milage?  and how do you use your Battery? Screenshot 2024-04-01 at 8.29.38β€―AM

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
Mine is 99.5% at 28,500 miles. I’ve seen as low as 98.5% a few thousand miles ago, and it popped back up to 99.5% sometime after my module replacement. I don’t think that had anything to do with it, though.

I paid for 100% of my battery, and I use every bit of it. I’ve been down to 1% when I barely made it home last fall, have DC fast charged about two dozen times, and have charged to 100% several times. It sat for a week at 100% at my wife’s house when she left it plugged in and didn’t drive it while I was out of town.

Total battery capacity is 144 kWh in the ER pack as per teardown videos, but we only have access to a rated 131 kWh. That means Ford builds in a buffer to prevent damage to the battery, so I’m guessing SoH is the percentage of rated capacity that the truck lets us have. With such a large buffer, there’s room to absorb some battery degradation while still letting us use everything we paid for.

I spent lots of time nerding out about battery health when I got my Model 3 in 2019. But over the years, there was never a rhyme or reason to battery degradation or failures. Degradation seemed to settle around 10% and stay there forever, and pack failures were rare. If our batteries are similar, most of us will never see SoH move from the mid-90’s until it’s time for battery work. Charging to 100%, ripping through the charging curve on DCFC ever day, and killing it doesn’t really make much of a difference.

I reconnected with an acquaintance from 20 years ago on a Tesla Facebook group. That dude uses the hell out of his battery. Over 250,000 miles and climbing on his 2019 Model 3, and half of that has been on road trips using Superchargers. Up to 100%, down to the single digits, rinse and repeat. His SoH is still above 90% and he’s had no issues to speak of.

so the conclusion is SOH reading is complete voodoo? just like getting OTA updates?
I wouldn’t say complete voodoo, but far less important than other things to worry about. It’s a snapshot of what your truck thinks of its battery, but that can change.

Sponsored

Daragh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Engineer
Keep in mind battery degradation is not linear, it also follows a Gaussian distribution (bell curve), add in all the additional factors of SOC when not in use (high and low are not favorable) driving habits, conditions, driving duration, speed. etc etc and it’s virtually impossible to get an accurate expectation of degradation on a small population sample size (less than several thousand). Lithium batteries typically degrade most rapidly in first period of use then that degradation tapers off. Ford warranties to 70 % after 8 years / 100,000 miles I’ll bet they replace very very few if any batteries due to typical and expected degradation and most will never get anywhere near 70 %. Again it’s a Gaussian distribution just like getting a lemon, probability of such is very low, not impossible but very low.

OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It sat for a week at 100% at my wife’s house when she left it plugged in and didn’t drive it while I was out of town.
You don' happen to have a recording of the conversation the two of you had after you came back to town?

I reconnected with an acquaintance from 20 years ago on a Tesla Facebook group. That dude uses the hell out of his battery. Over 250,000 miles and climbing on his 2019 Model 3, and half of that has been on road trips using Superchargers. Up to 100%, down to the single digits, rinse and repeat. His SoH is still above 90% and he’s had no issues to speak of.
People that put a lot of mileage on the battery in a short amount of time seem to be doing well on the average. I wonder, how much time itself has an impact. My last ICE truck was 20 years old when I got rid of it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Are you saying your SOH went up? I didn’t know that was possible.
You can see your SOH go up in some cases. If you charge to 100%, drive down to about 10-20% and L2 charge to above 80% again, it will balance the pack a bit and recalculate the health based on the more accurate numbers. This can result in SOH increasing because your pack actually improves overall capacity through the process. It DOES NOT mean your cells in the pack are getting healthier, just that your overall pack is performing better.

@RickLightning said it best. Drive on and don't watch the SOH number - it is simply not worth the stress. I fully expect my pack to outlast the truck.

Sponsored

Pod

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AMB Lightning XLT SR
I am so confused by preconditioning. How do you know it is happening? When I go to charge on the road, how does the truck know to precondition? Seems like a phantom setting. Owned truck a year, still flummoxed.

OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am so confused by preconditioning. How do you know it is happening? When I go to charge on the road, how does the truck know to precondition? Seems like a phantom setting. Owned truck a year, still flummoxed.
Folks are saying preconditioning on the road (may be with the latest update?) does not always work. I think when it does work is when you navigate to a charging location with Ford onboard software.

At home, I think with either setting departure time or just charging before you leave. You can look at battery temp with car scanner and see what works and what does not.

I have not payed too much attention to this so a lot of what I said in this post is second hand info.

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
The only way to know for sure is to watch the temperature of the battery using an OBDII reader. Last summer, 110F+ the battery temp meter on the dash was to the right of middle. I had a charger set as destination in Nav app and as I got close I saw the temp meter move to middle. It wasn't getting cooler outside (it was middle of the afternoon) so I can only assume the truck was cooling the battery in preparation for DCFC.

OP
OP
Maxx

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Brilliant. Thank you. I just ordered the device. And thank you for the link to the software I'll need. Much appreciated.

You can customize the software to put sensors you are interested in on the same page.
Sponsored