• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Insurance cost increase confirmed for my Lightning, happy with the answer

JustaProGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
My AAA agent was able to pull up my Lightning PRO by the vin and confirmed replacing a 2018 Pacifica with the Lightning and all else staying the same my premium would go up by $72 every 6 months, in case anyone was interested
Sponsored

Last edited:

13_F150

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 Platinum, 2020 Volvo XC60
So people who currently have a ICE f150 will probably go down in cost

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
My agent couldn't get the Lightning to pull up at State Farm, but from my Model 3 to an ICE Platinum was going to jump from $83 to $135 a month. Hoping the Lightning might be cheaper, but I doubt it in the beginning.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Will probably go down for people jumping from a Tesla (model S/X). My insurance went up $60/mo (not 6 months) when I added my Model S (did not replace a different vehicle).

I'd think the rates for the Lightning will be slightly higher, but that's on speculation that battery/motor trauma will be more common than an engine/transmission damage on an ICE F150.

OP
OP

JustaProGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
My agent couldn't get the Lightning to pull up at State Farm, but from my Model 3 to an ICE Platinum was going to jump from $83 to $135 a month. Hoping the Lightning might be cheaper, but I doubt it in the beginning.
Mine is a lowly Pro model, so that probably helped.

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Mine is a lowly Pro model, so that probably helped.
I've only ordered a Lariat, but I wanted my agent to compare to a more expensive ICE. I was hoping the comparison would be more fair that way.

Hamtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
KIA Sorento, Tesla X
Occupation
Lawyer
Shop around. When I insured my Model X the quotes were all over the place.

Also I recommend checking GEICO if they insure in your state. GEICO has an endorsement you can add which covers repairs of internal electronic components (radio and touch screens). I have filed two claims under this endorsement in regards to my Tesla.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
So people who currently have a ICE f150 will probably go down in cost
Highly unlikely. A Lightning will cost more than a comparable F-150, based on value alone.

Comparing people's insurance costs, and changes, is basically an exercise in self-manipulation. It's totally meaningless. My rates are based on my vehicles, my driving history, my insurance credit score, my location (2nd most expensive state), address, how many miles I drive, etc.

When I went from a 2018 Fusion Energi to a 2021 Mach-E (worth 2x the value), my cost went up 26%. What does that mean? Nothing except the car cost more.

If I switch from a 2021 to a 2022, my cost will go up 3%. The vehicle is 6% more expensive.

MrLoganRoss

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23.5 MachE GTPE & '24 Lightning Lariat
I think one benefit of the Lightning as that it is easy to fix and is the same (same body parts) as the ice version (other than propulsion system of course). Tesla’s are harder and more expensive to fix. My lightning doesn’t cost anymore than my 12 year old Volvo to insure.
Sponsored