• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
I left truck running until it told me restart required to finish update. Then I closed my doors, unhooked computer took my keys and walked away for 30 minutes. When i returned I just turn ignition on did not start and got update successfully. Then I hooked computer back up to verify.
I’m not sure whether this is a contributing factor or not, but you really shouldn’t be disconnecting your laptop at all during the procedure. When you shut down the truck, leave the laptop connected to your truck and logged into FDRS.

As for wait time after turning off the ignition, 30 minutes is fine but what you really want is to check for signs that all of the relays have reset. There is no set time for that. But you know the truck is as “dead” as it’s ever going to get when the LED halos around the rear seat USB ports have extinguished. The it’s safe to restart the truck to complete the post-install validation. But leave the laptop connected and running during this wait time.
Sponsored

Airborne_Ape

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010, 2014, 2017, 2021 F150
Here's the TSB.
Thanks for this. The note in blue about the coordinated software updates is valuable information. For a while I was speculating if I could just update the IMPA with the VCX Nano and not update the CCM (since it would brick). This information makes it quite clear they are required together.

I canceled the VCX I ordered and probably won't get a mongoose. I have a solid lead on getting my hands on an actual VCMM and appreciate absorbing as much information as possible from here in the meantime.

Attachments

dougbillings

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum - Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Software Sales
I’m not sure whether this is a contributing factor or not, but you really shouldn’t be disconnecting your laptop at all during the procedure. When you shut down the truck, leave the laptop connected to your truck and logged into FDRS.

As for wait time after turning off the ignition, 30 minutes is fine but what you really want is to check for signs that all of the relays have reset. There is no set time for that. But you know the truck is as “dead” as it’s ever going to get when the LED halos around the rear seat USB ports have extinguished. The it’s safe to restart the truck to complete the post-install validation. But leave the laptop connected and running during this wait time.
I don't know if this is specific to the GWM update of if applies to all of the USB updates but while I was able to successfully get the GWM update to complete, something seems to be preventing my truck from shutting all the way down for the APIM update to complete. I've turned it off and closed all doors and walked away with the keys and left it over night. When I turned it on this morning I still get the prompt to restart vehicle to complete update.

A few things:
- The halo around the back seat USB's are turned off but the radio control buttons on the dash are lit up (I am seeing this through the window without the keys nearby).
- I do have the battery tender/charger hooked up and turned on as well as the hood up.
- I did unplug the laptop as I feared the connection was keeping the truck awake.

I am letting her sit for another hour to see if it takes before I have to take my daughter to her gym class. Thanks for the help.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't know if this is specific to the GWM update of if applies to all of the USB updates but while I was able to successfully get the GWM update to complete, something seems to be preventing my truck from shutting all the way down for the APIM update to complete. I've turned it off and closed all doors and walked away with the keys and left it over night. When I turned it on this morning I still get the prompt to restart vehicle to complete update.

A few things:
- The halo around the back seat USB's are turned off but the radio control buttons on the dash are lit up (I am seeing this through the window without the keys nearby).
- I do have the battery tender/charger hooked up and turned on as well as the hood up.
- I did unplug the laptop as I feared the connection was keeping the truck awake.

I am letting her sit for another hour to see if it takes before I have to take my daughter to her gym class. Thanks for the help.
I’ve never seen bullet point one before. You may have to start from scratch. First thing I’d do is unplug and disconnect everything. Then lock the doors and walk away. DO everything you’d do to park the truck in a public parking lot. Can you get the truck to power down completely? Something ain’t right here. If the Sync screen/controls are hanging up, you might have to reboot it.

What’s your battery voltage when you are logged into FDRS? How are your charger alligators clipped? Red should be on positive. Black should be on the bolt that holds the cable to the battery monitoring sensor on one end and that runs to the chassis on the other. Does your charger have a power supply mode and are you using it instead of charger mode?

Something electrical about all this isn’t making sense to me.

dougbillings

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Sales
I’ve never seen bullet point one before. You may have to start from scratch. First thing I’d do is unplug and disconnect everything. Then lock the doors and walk away. DO everything you’d do to park the truck in a public parking lot. Can you get the truck to power down completely? Something ain’t right here. If the Sync screen/controls are hanging up, you might have to reboot it.

What’s your battery voltage when you are logged into FDRS? How are your charger alligators clipped? Red should be on positive. Black should be on the bolt that holds the cable to the battery monitoring sensor on one end and that runs to the chassis on the other. Does your charger have a power supply mode and are you using it instead of charger mode?

Something electrical about all this isn’t making sense to me.
Battery voltage is ~13. Charger has good connection. Here are pics of what I'm seeing taken through open back window.

Ford F-150 Lightning ECU module programming guide using FDRS PXL_20220326_140517602
Ford F-150 Lightning ECU module programming guide using FDRS PXL_20220326_140526099

Sponsored

dougbillings

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Sales
Battery voltage is ~13. Charger has good connection. Here are pics of what I'm seeing taken through open back window.

PXL_20220326_140517602.jpg
PXL_20220326_140526099.jpg
I just locked the doors as well ... see if that changes anything

PadU235

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021F150 Lariat, 2019 Escape Titanium
Occupation
Retired
That is only for people with 21146 and a greyed out uodates options page. No one else
The last sync version that showed on my screen was 20312. No version displays now and the auto updates option is greyed out. I have a service appointment in two weeks, does this TSB ( TSB 22-2117) apply to my situation?

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
The last sync version that showed on my screen was 20312. No version displays now and the auto updates option is greyed out. I have a service appointment in two weeks, does this TSB ( TSB 22-2117) apply to my situation?
I don’t believe so . 20312 is prior to 21146 which was 1.7.1

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
Ahhhh. The dreaded restart loop.

I caution that my experience with the restart loop was unique, in that no one else took the same approach, and it was early on in this thread. You can see what I posted in post #71
It seems like a year ago. Lol

I am NOT recommending what I did, but rather pointing out that it appeared to me that the files on the USB stick have already been copied to the trucks onboard storage by the time you are in the restart loop. Although there could be SOME reason for the USB stick to still be in the truck when you restart, I don't think it's for fetching files but rather for some kind of comparison or verification?
Honestly, I don't know. (Jesse does)

Regardless, post #71 is what I did and the result.

Last edited:

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

PXL_20220326_140517602.jpg
PXL_20220326_140526099.jpg
That ain’t right. Unplug everything. Shut all the doors, hood. Pull the voltmeter out of the 12v socket. Lock it. Gotta get that last relay to reset. My concern is that you are getting almost everything to shut down but there is still part of the Sync that is still live so it dosn’t know you’ve turned off the ignition.

Sponsored

Ruffiano99

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
I don’t believe so . 20312 is prior to 21146 which was 1.7.1
Damn, im at 20312 Rev 243, nothing is grayed out and im able to set auto updates and a schedule. But havent had OTA and no success with updating via USB. This TSB wont help me get unstuck?

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have a voltage reader plugged into that same outlet and it does turn off after a few minutes.
Good to know. Thanks. It isn’t common, but some accessories can interfere with a circuit shutting down correctly or completely. Glad this is not one of them.
Sponsored