• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning range fail

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
I have a few questions that I couldn't figure out by scouring the owners manual.
- Does the onboard HV DC to LV DC converter/generator constantly supply power to the battery and 12v equipment like an alternator would in an ICE vehicle while the vehicle is in operation?
- Or, does the 12v battery power the equipment while the vehicle is in operation and then periodically, the 12v battery gets recharged?
- What point (state of charge) does the HBV battery stop re-charging the 12v battery? I suspect the answer to this may be different for a parked vehicle versus one in operation.

We have seen in some of the range test videos (like Out of Spec) that when the HVB state of charge gets too low climate control shuts down.
- Does climate control shut down because the HVB directly supplies power to the air conditioner compressors and cooling fans and the truck is directing all available energy to motive power?
- Or does the climate control shut down because the HVB is no longer charging the 12v battery and the blower fans draw way too much power from the battery to support continued operation? (The 12v battery would need to have enough reserve to operate critical systems.)
The DC/DC converter does more than just top up the 12v when it gets low. The truck's 12V accessories get power from the DC/DC converter while the truck is on. The battery acts as a buffer just like in an ICE car with an alternator and the voltage regulator/rectifier. I would not think the desired 12v SoC is any different for when the truck is on vs. off.

HVB powers the compressor and cabin heating element directly, and when the HVB is at an especially low SoC the truck will prioritize drive power over HVAC. 12v is of almost no consequence here, and the truck will need those systems to operate the screens, frunk actuators, windows, keyfob receivers, etc. I wonder if the HVAC will work on fan-only mode at a low SoC.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Cruiser

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 GT350, 2015 F150, 2008 GT500, 2008 Solstice
Occupation
Business Owner
Where did they say the dealer confirmed LVB was bad?
I think that was the MachE guy who said he had the same problem, and it was the LVB. This happened over a week ago and they still haven't replaced his battery?

OP
OP

Cruiser

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business Owner
I agree it's probably a LVB problem, but the OP is denying this. See the quote below from the OP who keeps disagreeing with people who suggest it is the LVB or something related to the LVB.

They didn't... Yet. I suspect this info will be coming soon now that the dealer has the truck. I have no idea what Ricklightning is referring to, but the OP never stated the dealer identified that the LVB is bad. The OP was still denying this possibility in their latest posts.
The 12-volt systems were working fine. The headlights were very bright. the Frunk would function at the same speed. The radio worked. Nothing points to the 12-volt battery being low.

OP
OP

Cruiser

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business Owner
If you can get the frunk open its right behind the back panel of frunk compartment, right? Seems easy to get to.
There is actually a panel you remove that has a jump start point right up on the passenger side in the frunk. no need to empty the frunk to get to the battery. Just take that cover off.

EVTruckGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
The 12-volt systems were working fine. The headlights were very bright. the Frunk would function at the same speed. The radio worked. Nothing points to the 12-volt battery being low.
Is your trucking working find after being charged at the dealer?

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Don't be so sure. If the 12v battery had enough juice to power accessories but the system at least thought it did not have enough to "start" the HV battery it would shut it off(isolate) and not do so. This can give every indication the 12v is fine, but the system thinks it is not and as a method of self protection does not engage the 12v and throws an error.

This is what happened both times the 12v failed in my Ford hybrid. Lights still worked, but system would not even crank...not even a slow "click-click-click" or a slow moan crank. Nothing at all.

Not saying it is the LVB, but don't be surprised if it is..not willing to rule it out yet. These things behave weird(atypical) with what you would expect from a low/nearly dead LVB.

It makes troubleshooting very difficult, but at the same time pretty straightforward. First step should always be test and/or replace the LVB since that is the greatest chance of failure and go from there. (I was pretty sure the hybrid drive/HVB was cooked in my hybrid, but turned out to be just an old/weak 12v battery. A trip to autozone and $100 later I was back on the road)

Last edited:
OP
OP

Cruiser

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business Owner
Is your trucking working find after being charged at the dealer?
They haven't even charged it yet. It's still sitting on 5% and zero miles as of this morning.

OP
OP

Cruiser

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business Owner
Don't be so sure. If the 12v battery had enough juice to power accessories but the system at least thought it did not have enough to "start" the HV battery it would shut it off(isolate) and not do so. This can give every indication the 12v is fine, but the system thinks it is not and as a method of self protection does not engage the 12v and throws an error.

This is what happened both times the 12v failed in my Ford hybrid. Lights still worked, but system would not even crank...not even a slow "click-click-click" or a slow moan crank. Nothing at all.

Not saying it is the LVB, but don't be surprised if it is..not willing to rule it out yet. These things behave weird(atypical) with what you would expect from a low/nearly dead LVB.

It makes troubleshooting very difficult, but at the same time pretty straightforward. First step should always be test and/or replace the LVB since that is the greatest chance of failure and go from there. (I was pretty sure the hybrid drive/HVB was cooked in my hybrid, but turned out to be just an old/weak 12v battery. A trip to autozone and $100 later I was back on the road)
You know I was running down the interstate when this all happened. Had been driving all day. then the last 35 miles of range just dropped down to 12 in about 6 miles. Any 12-volt battery that causes your ICE car to die is a pretty drained battery. Once the car dies you would never be able to use power like opening the Frunk. something was going on with the HVB. I also noticed the last few times charging it wouldn't hold a steady rate of charge. It was up and down 20 to 30 kWh all the time. when I first would plug it in it would go up to a good amount around 150 and hold solid. Next time I would look at it it was wavering all over the place. I looked at cars next to me and they were very steady. I was never by another Lightning though.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You know I was running down the interstate when this all happened. Had been driving all day. then the last 35 miles of range just dropped down to 12 in about 6 miles. Any 12-volt battery that causes your ICE car to die is a pretty drained battery. Once the car dies you would never be able to use power like opening the Frunk. something was going on with the HVB. I also noticed the last few times charging it wouldn't hold a steady rate of charge. It was up and down 20 to 30 kWh all the time. when I first would plug it in it would go up to a good amount around 150 and hold solid. Next time I would look at it it was wavering all over the place. I looked at cars next to me and they were very steady. I was never by another Lightning though.
This isn't an ICE car. It doesn't behave like an ICE car with respect to what the LVB does in the grand scheme of things.

But OK. Maybe you do have a bad cell or a something wrong in the HVB. Nobody knows for sure until someone in service looks at it. We're all interested to see what the problem was/is. Fingers crossed for a quick resolution.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Cruiser

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business Owner
Whatever they figure out I will post it here. I have a 2015 F150 and it is the same. When the batery gets low it will not even try to crank. But nothing else works either. I WILL post what the problem is if they figure it out. I don't have any faith in Ken Garff in Fort Collins. Feel free to call me out if it ends up being the LVB.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Whatever they figure out I will post it here. I have a 2015 F150 and it is the same. When the batery gets low it will not even try to crank. But nothing else works either. I WILL post what the problem is if they figure it out. I don't have any faith in Ken Garff in Fort Collins. Feel free to call me out if it ends up being the LVB.

No need to call anyone out. (You've suffered enough).

We're all friends here..well, mostly. LOL.

Best of luck! Hope for a quick resolution. I think we can all agree your dealer is not giving any of us hope. They could at least charge the damn thing and do some preliminary system checks...

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I think we can all agree your dealer is not giving any of us hope. They could at least charge the damn thing and do some preliminary system checks...
I think (without primary evidence) the dealer service department is following direct and specific instructions from the engineers in Dearborn. there is a reason it remains uncharged.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I think (without primary evidence) the dealer service department is following direct and specific instructions from the engineers in Dearborn. there is a reason it remains uncharged.
Alternatively - they haven't even bothered to look at it yet and it is just sitting on their lot.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Alternatively - they haven't even bothered to look at it yet and it is just sitting on their lot.
The BORG knows .....

Sponsored

Last edited: