• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ouch!! First Electric Bill since getting the Lightning….yikes!

TerryNelsen

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Electrician
Here in CA a $500 electric bill is low during the summer. The lightning will put people into the overuse rate if they are still on the tiered rate. Putting a 15.2kw system on my house as soon as the solar company can get their stuff together and install it. 44 panels. Like pulling teeth to get them to follow any kind of timeline.
I Maybe able to help with your solar depending on where you live. Terry Nelsen. [email protected] Or text ********************
Sponsored

TerryNelsen

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Electrician
If you have more room it's probably best to keep your old 250W panels for a while. Probably not much market for them and if they are still working then just add some 330 or even 365 watt panels. You could run your new panels with micro-inverters if they don't match up with your existing panel strings.
Switch you panels out for Q cell 400 watt panels.

Fessel5

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Expedition 2022 lightning
Occupation
Manager
Get a good number of quotes, dare I say it’s worse than trying to buy cars. All those slimey used cars salesmen just became Solar salesmen.
Make sure to look at the Tesla solar page for cost. Use their numbers to help control the cost. I did it and found the other companies couldn’t beat the price for full ownership. I didn’t want to lease.
good luck!

dirtdiver

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Superduty F350, F150L 2022 Larait, Volt, R1200GS
Occupation
Engineer
Hello - We also have to deal with SDG&E. Bunch of criminal’s. They do offer an EV rate from 9pm- 5am at .10 per kw. Monthly charge to be on this plan. You really need to check it out and see if it might work for you. We have a solar system as well and have not had a real electric bill on 3 months. We have 2 Mach e right now. Just got mine last week to get me over this hump to my Lighting. I charge at work for free but my lady charges almost every night. Getting “free” energy right now. Are system will pay for itself in another 4.5 years.

1963950D-AA8A-4316-902A-A98FC3D89B6B.png
If you leave the net energy metering plan and go to one of the TOU or EV plans what happens to the peaks and valleys of the solar you generate? The nice thing about the Net energy plan is month to month it can vary but it trues up after 12 months.

Sponsored

dirtdiver

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Superduty F350, F150L 2022 Larait, Volt, R1200GS
Occupation
Engineer
If you have more room it's probably best to keep your old 250W panels for a while. Probably not much market for them and if they are still working then just add some 330 or even 365 watt panels. You could run your new panels with micro-inverters if they don't match up with your existing panel strings.
I have the enphase M250 on my current panels. I would look to just daisy chain something compatible into the existing wiring. I think my wires were oversized from the beginning.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT Performance, Lightning Lariat Extended
Compared to last years daily consumption rate, looks like the trucks impact is around $156 on the total bill.
Reviving this ancient thread...

Don't you think that's a lot for monthly running of a truck? I feel like that's close to what driving an ICE F150 would be...obviously everyone's mileage is different.

Since adding our Lightning to the garage in November, our electric bill is sometimes insanely high. For February, for example, our electricity usage is 61% higher than Feb 2023.

I'm going to have my smart meter looked at but woof. And PSEG only does their off-peak credit on Chargepoint chargers so I may need to look into swapping our FCSP for a Chargepoint one. Would bring the rate from $0.18 to $0.08.

Dugornot

First Name
Arendell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx 2.7t bl, tbd f150 lightning
Man wait till you get to next stage and install solar. Couldn’t be happier.
how was the experience? You buy or lease? Backup power? Who's the solar company?

tnugentfl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 lightning lariat ext range
Tesla has the least expensive solar, bar none.

Check if your utility has an unlimited off peak program. I pay $31/month and charge 2 EVs unlimited.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

Don't you think that's a lot for monthly running of a truck? I feel like that's close to what driving an ICE F150 would be...obviously everyone's mileage is different.

Since adding our Lightning to the garage in November, our electric bill is sometimes insanely high. For February, for example, our electricity usage is 61% higher than Feb 2023.

I'm going to have my smart meter looked at but woof. And PSEG only does their off-peak credit on Chargepoint chargers so I may need to look into swapping our FCSP for a Chargepoint one. Would bring the rate from $0.18 to $0.08.
Our utility only recognizes certain EVSE's and definitely not FCSP.

Considering the energy costs in my market, this is what I've consumed in the past months.

YMMV, NOTE I ride my motorcycles much more in the warm months..........

Ford F-150 Lightning Ouch!! First Electric Bill since getting the Lightning….yikes! SmartSelect_20240228_123715_Emporia Energy
Ford F-150 Lightning Ouch!! First Electric Bill since getting the Lightning….yikes! SmartSelect_20240228_123841_Emporia Energy

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT

How many miles are you putting on each of your EV's? Even .18 isn't too bad, but charging at home should be cheaper than a gas pump in most all locations. I haven't calculated the break even electricity price to gas price.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Our utility only recognizes certain EVSE's and definitely not FCSP.

Considering the energy costs in my market, this is what I've consumed in the past months.

YMMV, NOTE I ride my motorcycles much more in the warm months..........

SmartSelect_20240228_123715_Emporia Energy.png
SmartSelect_20240228_123841_Emporia Energy.png
What is that app you're using?

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
How many miles are you putting on each of your EV's? Even .18 isn't too bad, but charging at home should be cheaper than a gas pump in most all locations. I haven't calculated the break even electricity price to gas price.
I need to do some more calculations...it's really just around town commuting. The FCSP is unreliable for data since it tends to go offline every so often, and the other charger is a Grizzl-e. non-smart Just bought a Chargepoint so will see what data I get and should enjoy the $0.10 rate reduction.

Reactions: GDN

Q-ball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER

I had just had a similar issue with PSEG. They just dropped support for my current JuiceBox Charger for the off peak credits. I ended up buying a charge point flex and recouped some of the cost by selling the juicebox
Sponsored