Buying a Mannequin - worst delivery experience EVER

Jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, 2019 Fusion Energi, 2016 Escape
One would think, when buying a vehicle at over $80,000, even though it has been used as a demo unit, that the dealer would pay even more attention to the delivery process and making sure the vehicle was absolutely detailed and cleaned before selling it. Well, that was NOT my experience when picking up my truck at AutoNation Ford Westlake OH. If this were any other purchase, and timing and scarcity were not in play, I would have refused delivery.

Here is a recap:

So all they did was quickly wash the truck, put on some tire shine, and run a damp rag on the inside.
  • Second fob missing. He will call me Monday
  • Told me both chargers were in the truck when I asked him to check last week - only had the mobile charger - no FCSP - he has to check
  • Trash left from drivers in the truck - including a brownie under the driver seat and paperwork from other drivers
  • Never washed or cleaned the glass on the roof or the roof at all - it was dirty
  • Found a paint defect on the roof - photo below
  • Lockable under back seat locking hardware was never installed - hardware still in package and one side will not flip up
  • Had to re clean entire interior - photo below particularly bad
  • Max phones were entered and still in Sync and I had to delete them one by one
  • Asked him to show me how the tonneau cover worked )it is a rolling one) and when he opened the back gate, trash and dirt in the bed. It had never been touched or cleaned
  • Stuff, including the mobile charger was just thrown in the frunk, liners not installed.
  • Told me the truck had 4,000 miles on it. Actually 4,700.
  • They activated some of the connected services in June of this year, so I am losing 6 months of those (email sent to Ford to see if those can be extended since I am the first "buyer")
  • Told me they were selling me the truck at MSRP, then they forgot to add $1,200 for the tonneau cover, but on the final purchase documents sent to my credit union, did not add it again, so when I show up to take delivery I am told I need another $1,200 to pay because they missed it, and the credit union loan does not include it.
But . . . I do have my truck. I am not sure how I am going to deal with the dealer yet on this experience - I had no issues with my salesman, he was helpful other than making sure I had a clean and perfect vehicle at delivery. I spent three hours detailing the truck myself as best I could - good thing I have a heated garage where the truck barely fits. But I couldn't open the tailgate to clean the bed. This is NOT my regular dealer. This is just where I found a Lightning with what I wanted to be able to buy before year end and still get the tax credit.
Ford F-150 Lightning Buying a Mannequin - worst delivery experience EVER IMG_0670
Ford F-150 Lightning Buying a Mannequin - worst delivery experience EVER IMG_0672
Ford F-150 Lightning Buying a Mannequin - worst delivery experience EVER IMG_0888
Ford F-150 Lightning Buying a Mannequin - worst delivery experience EVER IMG_0677
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
The FCSP doesn't come with the truck. You get it in the mail afterward.

OP
OP
Jhalkias

Jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Pretty sad condition and no excuses, but they know they have the truck and you can't get it anywhere else. No excuse for any dealer, but if it is a small one they may just have part time make ready teams or something, big dealers have dedicated teams.

That paint defect on top looks like a dab of sealant that just got painted over. Those kinds of things sometimes are better left alone. Out of sight out of mind and if you have it fixed then you'll have paint matching to worry about.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Even when the dealer has had the truck for 6 months?
It's not technically sold. It has to be marked as sold for Sunrun to send the charger out.

And I agree with GDN. If you can't see the paint defect from the ground, I would leave the factory paint alone.

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT SR, G8 GXP, TDI Rabbit
Is that a regular or medical brownie
With the experience it seems like OP had at that dealer it may have been a strong medical brownie that all of the staff took bites from.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I guess I'm wondering why you didn't refuse delivery and make them clean it? The paint defect is not unusual, and gets fixed. Signing paperwork with the wrong mileage is on you. Warranty starts when truck is put into service I believe, not with you.

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
The FCSP doesn't come with the truck. You get it in the mail afterward.
I'm 99% sure that I saw the FCSP in the frunk of my dealers mannequin when I was looking at it several months ago. I suspect that Sunrun sent the FCSP to the dealer.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jhalkias

Jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I hope you washed your hands after cleaning whatever that is on the back seat center console :oops:
I used Clorox wipes. And gloves. That is a big back seat area.

OP
OP
Jhalkias

Jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I guess I'm wondering why you didn't refuse delivery and make them clean it? The paint defect is not unusual, and gets fixed. Signing paperwork with the wrong mileage is on you. Warranty starts when truck is put into service I believe, not with you.
Well . . . I picked it up on Sunday. Dealership open but no service. This Dealer is over an hour from home and I told my daughter who drove me up that she could leave once the paperwork was done. Yeah, the mileage is on me. I did get the warranty extended to 42,000 miles.

Dealer now said they will completely detail the truck and do it at the store closer to home. Also will fix the paint defect.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
They also need to correct the mileage, it's illegal to put the incorrect mileage on the form that asks for it I believe.

OP
OP
Jhalkias

Jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
They also need to correct the mileage, it's illegal to put the incorrect mileage on the form that asks for it I believe.
Mileage correct on form. Incorrect in what they told me when I was negotiating.

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
I’m buying a Mannequin and have these same concerns. They also understated the mileage, though before I saw the truck or paid a deposit. If any dealers or salespeople read this, just be honest and upfront. Disclose everything. The moment I discover something you failed to disclose is the moment you lose my trust entirely.
Sponsored