First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
If I lived in Canada, knowing how EV battery chemistry works, I'd never buy an EV.

Surprised OP didn't do any research.

Need to move to So Calif where we don't have cold weather nor range losss.
EVs work fine in the cold, you just have to plan for it!
Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I want to know exactly how much range an ICE Truck drops in cold weather. I think most of us never even care because of how quickly we can fill it up at almost any corner.

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
EVs work fine in the cold, you just have to plan for it!
I made a 250 mile round trip to the airport just before Christmas when the temp was right around 0F. There were 8 vehicles stranded along the road. All ICE, likely with frozen fuel lines.

Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
i want to know exactly how much range an ICE Truck drops in cold weather. I think most of us never even care because of how quickly we can fill it up at almost any corner.
ICE range in the cold drops more than most people realize. And just like an EV, towing range is significantly less too.. Things nobody really thinks or cares about because most ICE vehicles can go another 75 to 100 miles on a full tank vs. EVs and we can fill up quickly and just about anywhere. It's become so automatic for most people, they never even consider how it really works. And most are blissfully unaware that they're not getting 450+ miles out of a tank of gas all the time like they think they are.

Likewise, once you get used to driving an EV. The superior performance, starting every day with a "full tank" (even though it's only 2/3 of the potential range of a comparable ICE), and not having to take 10 minutes out of your day once or twice a week to fill up at a gas station... It's just hard to go back. It becomes automatic and we don't think about it. I'll jump in one of our ICE vehicles and start driving only to have it beep or ding at me, telling me I have less than 50 miles worth of fuel remaining. And I don't want to deal with that crap...

For me, my Teslas, and now my Lightning are superior to ICE in every way. The one area they truly fall short is long road trips. As most of us here know, road trips are fine and entirely do-able to most any destination. It's just that there's a significant amount of time added to deal with charging. In the earlier Tesla days, before the Model 3/Y, road trips and stopping at Tesla Superchargers was kinda fun. It had a certain charm to it when meeting others doing the same thing. Now it's like a total rat race and survival of the quickest as we compete for spots at busy chargers.

Marcoux

First Name
Stéphane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning XLT
If I lived in Canada, knowing how EV battery chemistry works, I'd never buy an EV.

Surprised OP didn't do any research.

Need to move to So Calif where we don't have cold weather nor range losss.

I live in northern Ontario, drive 24 miles to work and back 3 times a week and 125 miles to work and back 2 times a week and believe me, it's a non issue with the extended range battery.
I'll leave with 90% battery and it never gets lower than 45-50% when my day is done (on the long trips) even in these very cold temperatures.

From July to mid November, I averaged 2.07m/kWh and from November to mid January (with winter tires), I'm seeing an average of 1.55m/kWh. I mean, yeah it's worst, but I'm not losing a tremendous amount.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired