• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Electrical Inspector Thoughts on EV Chargers

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Had my emporia 48 amp hard-wired charger install inspected today (and passed). The inspector had a couple of comments that may be helpful to others.

1. He was glad to see 60 amp wiring. He indicated that even though the emporia is adjustable, the adjustment is in the app and too easy for the user to just dial it up. He said only for models of chargers where the current limit is set by switches or jumpers inside the box would he pass a setup with wiring rated lower than the max setting on the charger.

2. In regards to peak load, he mostly worries about things like the hot tub and air conditioning that can turn on anytime by themselves. Was not concerned about the welder and oven outlets for peak load.
Ford F-150 Lightning Electrical Inspector Thoughts on EV Chargers 1671063498947
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
When I told my inspector that I was installing my FCSP on a 100 amp circuit, he was adamant that I would need a service change to 400A. I put an ammeter on my mains over the summer, turned on both of my central air units, lights in every room , TV's and even the basement dehumidifier and I was only pulling about 35 amps per leg.

What was really funny was when he came for the inspection. I was also having a couple of circuits I added inspected as well. I was ready for him to start checking GFCI trips and grounds, because he checked those things when the house was built. I had all my receptacle covers off, the FCSP powered down with the cover off, the main panel cover off and the sub-panel cover off. All he did was walk into the garage, look at the FCSP and proceeded to walk into the basement and put my approval sticker on my sub. I sweated over all my work for weeks thinking he was going to pick everything apart.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
1. He was glad to see 60 amp wiring. He indicated that even though the emporia is adjustable, the adjustment is in the app and too easy for the user to just dial it up. He said only for models of chargers where the current limit is set by switches or jumpers inside the box would he pass a setup with wiring rated lower than the max setting on the charger.
1671063498947.png
When the Emporia is plugged into a 40a outlet it won't let you ramp it up to 48a (for what it's worth).

Ford F-150 Lightning Electrical Inspector Thoughts on EV Chargers Screenshot_20221214_174741_Emporia Energy

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
When the Emporia is plugged into a 40a outlet it won't let you ramp it up to 48a (for what it's worth).
All you would have to do is go into Device Management and you can change it to a 60A circuit. You'd have to intentionally do it, so it's possible.

Ford F-150 Lightning Electrical Inspector Thoughts on EV Chargers Screenshot_20221214-205239_Emporia Energy

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
All you would have to do is go into Device Management and you can change it to a 60A circuit. You'd have to intentionally do it, so it's possible.

Screenshot_20221214-205239_Emporia Energy.jpg
Yes, correct. I forgot the Emporia app had 2 sections to adjust Amperage. (Which is nice because it prevents us from accidently setting it too high)

Sponsored

azypather

First Name
Azy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Merc GLe 350, 2018 VW Golf SE, 2023 F150 - L
Occupation
IT Consultant
Had my emporia 48 amp hard-wired charger install inspected today (and passed). The inspector had a couple of comments that may be helpful to others.

2. In regards to peak load, he mostly worries about things like the hot tub and air conditioning that can turn on anytime by themselves. Was not concerned about the welder and oven outlets for peak load.
1671063498947.png
Are you satisfied with the Emporia charger for your F150? I have ordered one because I think the FCSP is overkill for a Standard Range F150.

OP
OP

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Are you satisfied with the Emporia charger for your F150? I have ordered one because I think the FCSP is overkill for a Standard Range F150.
Yes. So good so far.
My only complaint are the little screws that hold the cover on which are screwed in blindly from the back side between the back lip of the cover and the wall. But you only have to do that once during install, so not a fatal flaw.

azypather

First Name
Azy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Consultant
Yes. So good so far.
My only complaint are the little screws that hold the cover on which are screwed in blindly from the back side between the back lip of the cover and the wall. But you only have to do that once during install, so not a fatal flaw.
Thank you. mine just arrived today. I will install this weekend.

OP
OP

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Thank you. mine just arrived today. I will install this weekend.
The one other thing I forgot to mention was the holster/bracket. As other reviewers have noted, it was pretty flimsy.

I just omitted installing the holster/bracket and just loop the end of the cord one more time over the top of the unit when not in use.

Doesn't protrude so far from the wall that way, either.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
The one other thing I forgot to mention was the holster/bracket. As other reviewers have noted, it was pretty flimsy.

I just omitted installing the holster/bracket and just loop the end of the cord one more time over the top of the unit when not in use.

Doesn't protrude so far from the wall that way, either.
The holder on my Emporia is very solid - it's made from cast aluminum.

Mine is mounted on studs so it's very solid.

Mine is configured for 48A:
Ford F-150 Lightning Electrical Inspector Thoughts on EV Chargers Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 10.12.31 AM

azypather

First Name
Azy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Consultant
The holder on my Emporia is very solid - it's made from cast aluminum.

Mine is mounted on studs so it's very solid.

Mine is configured for 48A:
Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 10.12.31 AM.png
Thanks to you both for the info. I plan on installing mine outside on brick. Will let you all know how it goes.
Sponsored