Sponsored

Peter P

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger XLT
https://www.reuters.com/business/au...makers-launch-ev-charging-network-2023-07-26/

In challenge to Tesla, major automakers launch EV charging network

July 26 (Reuters) - A group of major automakers on Wednesday said they were forming a new company to provide electric vehicle charging in the United States in a challenge to Tesla and a bid to take advantage of Biden administration subsidies.

The group includes General Motors (GM.N), Stellantis (STLAM.MI), Hyundai Motor (005380.KS) and its Kia affiliate, Honda (7267.T), BMW (BMWG.DE) and Mercedes Benz (MBGn.DE) , brands representing about half of U.S. vehicle sales but a small share of the EV market dominated by Tesla.

The unusual coalition of competitors said the new joint-venture company would aim to become the leading provider of fast charging in North America with a target of rolling out 30,000 chargers, starting along major highways and in cities.

The automakers did not specify how much they would invest individually or collectively, but said they would be open to additional investment or participation from other companies, including outside the auto industry. A name for the venture was not announced.

Tesla (TSLA.O), which accounted for more than 60% of U.S. EV sales last year, has the largest current network of fast-chargers with almost 18,000 Superchargers in the United States.

Tesla said earlier this year it would open part of that charging network to EVs from rival brands in order to be eligible for a share of funding from the $7.5 billion in federal subsidies on offer to expand the use of EVs.

Tesla’s lead in building out a network of chargers has given it sway in setting the standard for how future EVs will connect and power up, something smaller charging companies and other EV makers have viewed with concern.

GM, Mercedes and others have signed on to adopt Tesla-developing charging technology from 2025 to get access to a larger share of its Superchargers.

The other automakers – Stellantis, Hyundai, Honda and BMW – have not committed to the Tesla technology known as the North American Charging Standard (NACS) and have product plans that rely on a rival known as the Combined Charging System (CCS).

The new charging company will support both CCS and the Tesla standard.

“A strong charging network should be available for all – under the same conditions – and be built together with a win-win spirit,” Stellantis CEO Carlos Tavares said in a statement.

In a statement, chief executives of the seven auto brands said a charging network built out like gas stations with restrooms, food service and retail operations would support a faster rollout of EVs, which they said they expected would top 50% of U.S. sales by 2030.

The new company would compete against established EV charging companies, including Volkswagen's (VOWG_p.DE) Electrify America, ChargePoint (CHPT.N) and EVGo (EVGO.O), which are also looking to accelerate the rollout of chargers with federal funding.

The Biden administration has set a target of hitting 500,000 chargers by 2030, an almost four-fold increase.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
More competition is always a good thing and we can certainly use more charging locations!

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
It's interesting that Ford isn't on that list. Sounds like they are betting on Tesla to come through for them.
I noticed that Ford was omitted, too. A poorly written article.

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Could be that Ford doesn't want to continue to spend. Factories, cars, chargers, they ain't cheap. I have to imagine Ford might be content selling vehicles and letting others supply charging. I don't think companies will charge competitors more, they could, but hopefully we can all pay the same.

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Feels like this is too little too late. I find it unlikely they'll get anything rolling out in a timely manner, let alone in volume enough to compete. I hope I'm wrong, but I remain skeptical.

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR
As a bit of a skeptic, I'm going to put this new joint venture in the same category as the Toyota Solid State battery, neither of which have an actual launch date. Don't tell me about the labor, show me the baby...or at least the due date.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I appreciate the added option, like more 'gas' stations give you more options... and, I'm hoping they will not only gather to create a new national charging network, but will LISTEN to us EV drivers, and more specifically, LARGE EV vehicle owners, and those TOWING, to create the SPACE we need to create a much more efficient entry, parking, and exiting of charging locations...

A) we need more LOCATIONS of Dc Fast Charging, not just single-location 'large number' of chargers all in the same 'area'... give me a Dc Fast Charger option in EVERY city, no matter the size, at several different gas stations or similar locations, like large parking lots with lots of room to maneuver.
B) Do NOT provide CRAMPED 'compact ev only' parking locations... we need ROOM! LOTS of room!
C) We need RELIABILITY, not just speed. Without reliable charging, speed means NOTHING. And, Do not ADVERTISE your SPEED, and then not provide that speed.
D) make ACTIVATING the charger EASY and INTUITIVE... there is no reason Plug-n-Charge should not be the 'defacto' Charge Activation Standard for EVERY ev.
E) give us the ability to RESERVE a charging spot IF we arrive and all stations are already activated. We need the NEXT available space without having to 'jockey' for position, or to know WHO is already there and still waiting ahead of us... a simple app alert that the "2023 Gray KIA tag: EV64ME is Ready for the next available station" would be an easy add-on to let the next vehicle that arrives know of 'who' is next in line...

Pod

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AMB Lightning XLT SR
Talked to a couple of folks “in the know” that said Ford is adding a BIG charging name to the network Very soon in addition to Tesla. Not sure who, Flo?

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150,Fusion, 2023 Lightning, 2022 Mach E
I worry about the long term competition for chargers. Along most interstates with reasonable population you can find 3-4 gas stations at an exit. If we get a future where there is only 1 or 2 companies within a reasonable distance they could take advantage of it and price-fix/gouge. I also wonder why more traditional gas stations dont stick a couple of chargers on their back-side. Modern gas stations are more about selling hot-dogs and lottery tickets than gas. They might as well get on board with future reality and ease there way into installing a few chargers. They're in a better position than these 7 wannabes and they should be able to use some of Biden's money. They could easily limit it to their intestate locations. Heck, they could even lease the space to chargepoint or someone. Right now all the chargers I know of are in the dark corners of larger parking lots away from anything useful.

Sponsored

pjorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
I also wonder why more traditional gas stations dont stick a couple of chargers on their back-side.
You can build a gas station practically anywhere. High speed chargers require access to electrical infrastructure and substantial up-front capital investment even when that infrastructure is readily available.

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Another network with the speed/reliability/size of the supercharger network is going to be good for consumers if successful. I’m sure there’s concern that Tesla will have a monopoly on DCFC if things keep going on their current trajectory.

Hopefully DCFCs start having credit card payment terminals so we don’t have to download dozens of apps for dozens of networks.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Seems like a golden opportunity for someone or some software company to develop a consumer facing single app that could front all the major charging companies to provide a single activation and billing solution. 🤔

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
While we need more charging locations and more competition, there's something about car manufacturers getting into this that doesn't sit dwell with me.

To compare, what would be the reaction to an announcement that car manufacturers were getting into running gas stations?

G-Zeus

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Seems like a golden opportunity for someone or some software company to develop a consumer facing single app that could front all the major charging companies to provide a single activation and billing solution. 🤔
Hmmm… like “X” perhaps? Hmmm…
Sponsored