Sponsored

Surprise, i got sent a Ford Charge Station Pro?

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I ordered my ER XLT in July with price cut announcement and got it Oct 10th. Nothing in my order or info said it came with Pro station, so I actually got the portable charger. Well today this was at my garage door.

Ford F-150 Lightning Surprise, i got sent a Ford Charge Station Pro? 20231102_161912
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
All 2022 and 2023 ER trucks get the FCSP.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
All ERs come with that, sent a week or so after delivery for most.

WhipSticks

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Scientist
It is described in the order (though you have to click on the trim package hyperlink to see it). It can cost a bit to get it installed, and you may have to upgrade your electrical system to fully exploit it's charge speed capabilities, but it does offer much faster charging than the $500 portable charge adaptor.

Sponsored
OP
OP
JRT

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Wow, I thought it was cut when they reduced the price. I'll call and see what it cost to install my electrician I trust

Tfarrell73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23Lightning Lariat ER in production, 17 GMC Sierra
The 100 amp circuit is overkill unless you are doing 200+ miles daily. I've also heard the FCSP is buggy

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
The 100 amp circuit is overkill unless you are doing 200+ miles daily. I've also heard the FCSP is buggy
Lots of problems reported early on. Mostly self-derating due to detecting over temp. That was fixed with a software update. Some folks still have trouble connecting to WiFi, but that doesn’t affect charging.

jmc6020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat
Are these included on orders only or on ER vehicles purchased off the lot too?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Sponsored

WhipSticks

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Scientist
I am going to disagree here. While for overnight charging, a 60 amp circuit will do, there will certainly be times when you need a fast charge at home and are in a hurry to get on the road. (say the wife just drove back from somewhere and you have a meeting you need to be at an hour away. You will want the 19.2 KW charge stream to get you topped up enough to make it to work without stopping en route, or diverting out of your way to a DC fast charger out on the highway--I am absolutely not describing a real scenario that a buddy of mine might or might not have experienced). Stuff like this doesn't happen often, but when it does, you will be happy you had a 100 amp circuit at your disposal. Charge speed is the mind killer.

mme_and_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 2022 Iced White, 2023 Lightning Platinum
I have the FCSP. The charger part has been without issue. I like that it charges twice as fast as a 40 AMP.

I did need to return my first charger. Seems some of the chargers had poor wi-fi panels. Did not impact charging. I used SunRun for installation. When I got the new charger, SunRun returned and replaced the charger at no cost to me; SunRun billed Ford. Ford representatives were very helpful and responsive. I will go so far to say Ford checked in and followed up with me very well.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am going to disagree here. While for overnight charging, a 60 amp circuit will do, there will certainly be times when you need a fast charge at home and are in a hurry to get on the road. (say the wife just drove back from somewhere and you have a meeting you need to be at an hour away. You will want the 19.2 KW charge stream to get you topped up enough to make it to work without stopping en route, or diverting out of your way to a DC fast charger out on the highway--I am absolutely not describing a real scenario that a buddy of mine might or might not have experienced). Stuff like this doesn't happen often, but when it does, you will be happy you had a 100 amp circuit at your disposal. Charge speed is the mind killer.
This is a rare occurrence. Assuming your service and panel can handle a 100amp circuit, how many times in a year do you get home without enough time to charge for your next destination? The cost for the 100amp circuit vs. a 60amp circuit (48amp charger) is a significant difference.

NCMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red Lariat Lightning
I've decided to sell my FCSP and I purchased an 80amp Tesla Gen 2 charger instead, I already own an 80amp tesla tap. I definitely want to take advantage of the 80amp charging but don't like that the FCSP can't charge anything with NACS without cutting/modifying an adapter. I plan to keep my truck 3-4 years which should be about 90,000 miles. So the next one I get will probably be NACS and that won't work with the FCSP as of now.

This is a rare occurrence. Assuming your service and panel can handle a 100amp circuit, how many times in a year do you get home without enough time to charge for your next destination? The cost for the 100amp circuit vs. a 60amp circuit (48amp charger) is a significant difference.
It obviously is not a problem for the majority. But it is a consideration for some of us rural folks. In NC there are very few DCFCs east of I95. I had to take an overnight trip Monday night. Sunday night I charged to 95%. I had to work/drive Monday so when I got home I was at 87%. I let it charge up to 100% which took about 4 hours. (currently on 32 amp mobile charger) Drove east where there are absolutely no DCFCs. Had to drive 5-10 under the speed limit and no heat on the way back the next day to make it home. Rolled in with 7% battery left. I had to leave in 2 hours to go pick my kid up from school and take to basketball practice at another school an hour away. So I charged enough to get me to a DCFC 20 miles away. Paid EA way to much money to get from 13% to 80% in 38 minutes just in time to get the kid and on my way again. Pulled back in the house at that night at 33%.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've decided to sell my FCSP and I purchased an 80amp Tesla Gen 2 charger instead, I already own an 80amp tesla tap. I definitely want to take advantage of the 80amp charging but don't like that the FCSP can't charge anything with NACS without cutting/modifying an adapter. I plan to keep my truck 3-4 years which should be about 90,000 miles. So the next one I get will probably be NACS and that won't work with the FCSP as of now.

It obviously is not a problem for the majority. But it is a consideration for some of us rural folks. In NC there are very few DCFCs east of I95. I had to take an overnight trip Monday night. Sunday night I charged to 95%. I had to work/drive Monday so when I got home I was at 87%. I let it charge up to 100% which took about 4 hours. (currently on 32 amp mobile charger) Drove east where there are absolutely no DCFCs. Had to drive 5-10 under the speed limit and no heat on the way back the next day to make it home. Rolled in with 7% battery left. I had to leave in 2 hours to go pick my kid up from school and take to basketball practice at another school an hour away. So I charged enough to get me to a DCFC 20 miles away. Paid EA way to much money to get from 13% to 80% in 38 minutes just in time to get the kid and on my way again. Pulled back in the house at that night at 33%.
So let's play with those numbers.

You got home with 7% (which has nothing to do with home charging capability). You had 2 hours to charge, with your 32amp charger you got roughly 14kW, and had roughly 9kW, for a total of 23kW (18% charged).

You then drove to an EA arriving with 13% (used 5% or 6.5kW for 20 miles = 3kW per mile which seems high, but no matter).

Then you charged to 80%, adding 88kW, and got home with 33% (43kW).

So, your total usage was about 6.5kW then another 88-43 = 45kW, so you used roughly 51.5kW.

Let's assume you had an 80amp charger. In 2 hours, it would have added 240 x 80 x 90% = 17.3 x 2 = 35.6kW. You had 7% or 9kW, for a total of 44.6kW. You needed 51.5kW for your drive, so you would have had to charge anyway.

The difference here is that you had to buy 88kW, and if you had the 80amp charger you would have had to buy 6.9kW. But you still would have needed to charge at EA.

An 80amp charger does have it's fit, and yours may be a good example if you're constantly faced with arriving home empty and having to leave in 2 hours to drive a distance. That's not usual though.
Sponsored