CSP-23B57 for High Voltage Battery Notice

captcory

First Name
cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 FORD Lightning PRO, honda pilot
Scheduled mobile service last week. they came out today and did the update. I wasn’t there but they said all is well. Will let you know after it get driven and charged.
Sponsored

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
I had two modules replaced, then the BCM, then another module, and the dealer commented that they were into it for $13k+. True? Who knows, but it can't be cheap.
I won't complain about two modules and BCM 😁. Mine were 10 months apart. I think if another module goes I'll have to Lemon the thing. Love the truck, hard to keep confidence in it.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
My apologies if this topic has been previously covered here (it is a long thread). I recently found a PDF for "2022 Model Year Battery Electric Vehicle Warranty Guide", and decided to read through it very carefully.

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...-E-Warranty-version-1_frdwa_EN-US_09_2021.pdf

I recall several owners commenting about delaying a dealership visit for CSP-23B57 BECM update until they have a battery problem or other service need.

On page 27 of the PDF under "Proper Maintenance Preserves Your Warranty", I found the following content which should be of concern to all of us. (I have added the bold and underline to the text copied below.)

"In order to maintain optimal battery life and functionality of your
vehicle, it is imperative that all high voltage battery software
updates are installed. You are responsible for ensuring all software
updates are installed within 30 days of software availability.
You
can most easily accomplish this by keeping Automatic Updates set
to "ON". If you are unable or choose not to use your vehicle’s
connectivity features to update software, your Ford Dealer can
determine if software updates are available for your vehicle and
perform these updates. Software updates will be installed at no
cost to you during the warranty period. Damage resulting from
failure to install battery system updates will not be covered under
your New Vehicle Limited Warranty."

The paragraph also states that "Software updates will be installed at no cost to you during the warranty period.", which addresses some owner comments that their dealer will not install software, or the dealer wants to charge for software installation.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired
My apologies if this topic has been previously covered here (it is a long thread). I recently found a PDF for "2022 Model Year Battery Electric Vehicle Warranty Guide", and decided to read through it very carefully.

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...-E-Warranty-version-1_frdwa_EN-US_09_2021.pdf

I recall several owners commenting about delaying a dealership visit for CSP-23B57 BECM update until they have a battery problem or other service need.

On page 27 of the PDF under "Proper Maintenance Preserves Your Warranty", I found the following content which should be of concern to all of us. (I have added the bold and underline to the text copied below.)

You

The paragraph also states that "Software updates will be installed at no cost to you during the warranty period.", which addresses some owner comments that their dealer will not install software, or the dealer wants to charge for software installation.
As long as I leave that SWITCH ON, I'm good, but it's been found to have turned its self off in previous updates, who's at fault then, I'd call for a forensic audit of the logs my truck is reporting to the mother ship and fight tooth & nail on a denied claim all the way the SC!

AND

If @Ford Motor Company would improve the LVB maintenance strategy and execution of update cycles this nonsense would be a problem only for the tin foil hat brigades!

[/rant]

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder

You

Well thats yet another thing you can put into the "Clearly violates the Magnuson-Moss warranty act, but manufacturers will get away with it, because people are ignorant of consumer rights and have bought into manufacturer disinformation" bank lol

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Ford Lawyer - put this clause in

2 years later...

Ford Lawyer - wait, wut? We are turning off the switch? OMFG!

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
This alone says they are also on the hook for supporting said updates if they are needed beyond warranty. If there is SW this critical to their battery health would they need to be turned into a recall ? Even their very own Extended Warranty contracts say that SW updates are not included.

This would put major pressure on Ford to keep updates working and working well.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
As long as I leave that SWITCH ON, I'm good, but it's been found to have turned its self off in previous updates, who's at fault then, I'd call for a forensic audit of the logs my truck is reporting to the mother ship and fight tooth & nail on a denied claim all the way the SC!

AND

If @Ford Motor Company would improve the LVB maintenance strategy and execution of update cycles this nonsense would be a problem only for the tin foil hat brigades!

[/rant]
Another item to add to the forensic audit checklist ... the 6.2 update turned wifi off in my truck, and Ford says wifi connectivity facilitates software update downloads. 🤔

Fast87t

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat
They drop the battery compartment, which has all the modules and high power contactors.
They remove the cover, remove the affected modules (arrays) leaving those with no issue in the pack, balance the new module to the pack voltage, install the new replacement module(s), pressure tests when cooling loops have been disturbed, close up the pack with the cover, reinstall under the truck, connect all the cables and cooling hoses, etc. the process could take up to 13 hours of direct labor plus side time for the module balancing process.
Anyone have problems with their dealers having issues with their balancer equipment for the new module/packs. My Dealer has had my truck since 10/18 and on 11/2 said there balancer for new module was not working correctly and they were in contact with Fords hotline for help. Other than charging new module pack up to right level, what else is needed programming for the ECM or something? My truck is dismantled and waiting for this balancer to finish it so they can pit it back together with coolant etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Anyone have problems with their dealers having issues with their balancer equipment for the new module/packs. My Dealer has had my truck since 10/18 and on 11/2 said there balancer for new module was not working correctly and they were in contact with Fords hotline for help. Other than charging new module pack up to right level, what else is needed programming for the ECM or something? My truck is dismantled and waiting for this balancer to finish it so they can pit it back together with coolant etc.
My dealer SA told me they had to balance mine 4 times. I also spoke briefly with the EV Tech who told me a Ford Engineer had to provide a different "code" for the Midtronics xMB-9460 Balancer than was specified for my Lightning.

Sponsored

massmedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Made an account just to get on this thread.

22 Lariat ER, build date was not involved in any recalls, and the notification for this CSP unfortunately wasn't easy to see on my app... they sent me physical mail about the tail light and dash mat, but not the high voltage battery CSP -- concerned by that a little... wouldn't have missed it if they had been consistent.

The other night with the 6.2.0 OTA update, started the truck and immediately got the Powertrain Malfunction/High Voltage Battery warning combination. I can't imagine they're related but either way it's on the way to the dealer to figure out. We'll see what they say once they take a look.

Ford F-150 Lightning CSP-23B57 for High Voltage Battery Notice tow

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired
Made an account just to get on this thread.

22 Lariat ER, build date was not involved in any recalls, and the notification for this CSP unfortunately wasn't easy to see on my app... they sent me physical mail about the tail light and dash mat, but not the high voltage battery CSP -- concerned by that a little... wouldn't have missed it if they had been consistent.

The other night with the 6.2.0 OTA update, started the truck and immediately got the Powertrain Malfunction/High Voltage Battery warning combination. I can't imagine they're related but either way it's on the way to the dealer to figure out. We'll see what they say once they take a look.

tow.jpg
Welcome to the forum, sorry it had to be this event ..... what part of Mass are you in?

massmedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Welcome to the forum, sorry it had to be this event ..... what part of Mass are you in?
Thanks - over on the Vineyard actually, which made dealing with this CSP after it affected me an even bigger issue! I purchased via Balise in Hyannis (great experience overall during delivery last year, and super responsive during this). Seems all of the dealers in this area are backlogged dealing with this CSP among other recalls. Balise has me officially on the docket for a week or two from now, and the next two closest dealers all report mid December (Colonial) and January (Wareham) as the earliest possible servicing availabilities... and all three have said they are only working with one EV tech, so that's not going to help with efficiency of these CSP issues everyone's coming in to them with.

I will also say that to Ford's credit, even with the added logistical headache of a ferry, the BEV team was very helpful and took care of everything related to the tow and the ferry trip.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023(J1) Mach-E GT-PE
My service advisor was not there when I picked mine up. The other advisor wasn't really familiar with it but told me the battery module alone was $6500 and that did not include labor.
Well your entire battery pack might cost that much but not individual cells certainly.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023(J1) Mach-E GT-PE
For anybody wondering why this powertrain update might cause your truck to suddenly throw a wrench and FP alerts afterwards...

The focus of this update was tightening the allowed variance between cell packs. For those whose truck immediately threw the flag right after the update...you had a problem and didn't know it. So it's annoying but good to know it was caught in time.

Like I said before, if your truck is going in for service and they're going to do the 23B57 powertrain update, best to clean out the center console and the box, because it might be sitting for a while if the BECM update discovers one or more cells out of tolerance and the truck has to sit until it gets fixed.
Sponsored

Last edited: